Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do islamists pray on carpets?

• 18-09-2011 2:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

It's just a simple question, why do all islamists pray on carpets instead of praying directly on the floor?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

It's just a simple question, why do all islamists pray on carpets instead of praying directly on the floor?

Do you even know what an Islamist is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think he meant Mulsims in general. I don't know, but if I was to guess it is to keep yourself clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

Ignore this thread my boyfriends friend is a dickhead and was trying to annoy people. Used my laptop and signed in as me. Apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

As already noted, the use of the word "Islamist" is unfortunate, but the question "why do Muslims pray on carpets instead of praying directly on the floor?" is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.

In fact, praying on a carpet or rug is not an absolute necessity - in the Grand Mosque in Makkah, people normally pray on the ground rather than on carpets (not just in the Mosque itself but in the surrounding open spaces and streets). Sometimes, during occasions of mass prayer, such as the 'Eid al-Fitr, prayer takes place in a large space booked for the occasion and use of prayer rugs may be discouraged in order to squeeze more people into the space. I observed a mass outdoor 'Eid prayer ceremony in Singapore a couple of weeks ago, and many people prayed on the ground rather than on rugs.

However, as Hobbes noted, the main reason is to do with cleanliness. Muslims need to be in a state of wudu - ritual cleanliness - for their prayer to be valid, and hence they will clean themselves before praying. If they then prayed on the ground, they would run the risk of picking up some dirt and hence breaking their wudu.

Another reason for using a prayer rug is that it helps in concentrating on the ritual actions. During the standing and bowing parts of the prayer, the Muslim should have his or her eyes looking down to the spot where his or her forehead will touch the rug in the prostration part of the prayer. Prayer rugs generally have a design in the shape of the mihrab, or prayer niche, and the eyes can focus on the top part of the mihrab. In many mosques, the carpet is patterned with rows of mihrab designs.

Finally, some prayer rugs come with built-in compasses that show the qibla, the direction of the Ka'aba in Makkah towards which Muslims pray.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

If I may add also, I have a wooden floor in my house and praying on a 'carpet' helps the ould knees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement