Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to a dentist in Enniskillen / The North

Options
  • 18-09-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi

I need to get at least 3 fillings done. I had a check last summer (2010) when I had my son at the dentist. I am out of work at the minute and have been putting it off but I don't think I can leave it much longer.

Has anyone been to a dentist to the north ? - Are there savings to be made by going across the border for this work ?

Can anyone recommend a dentist that they have used - I have been googling and there seems to be loads.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

try here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

Obviously you don't have a medicial card, having said that I believe Enniskillen is very good. Friends of mine have travelled up there for treatment, your best bet is to Google them and contact them directly, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TremblingTurnip

I go to Anne Street Dental Practice. Just over the bridge when you come into Enniskillen. Very good work and it is about half the price as the dentists in Sligo.
    There are a few dentists here but I go to Dr. Chris Kelly. Very honest and will not try to rip you off.
    http://www.whatclinic.com/dentists/northern-ireland/county-fermanagh/enniskillen/anne-street-dental-practice

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭moonbloom

I have been to Bradley Dentist a few times. Much cheaper and do what needs to be done. Need to have a family day out to her soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭snowdaze

I go to Belmore Dental Studio...the savings are there if you need a lot of work done...not sure for a few fillings though...they have a website with the prices listed
    Been going to them for about 7 years...I see Joe McEnhill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

OP have you checked the prices of dental treatment at the Sligo clinics compared to Enniskillen. People assume that it is cheaper in the North when in fact it isnt, if you check some of the prices in the above mentioned Belmore clinic against the prices in the clinics in Sligo, Belmore are more expensive than down here and that is without even taking the cost of travel/time off work in to account.

http://www.newsmiledentalclinic.ie/fees.html
    http://www.ocmdental.com.
    http://www.clearyfitzgeralddentalpractice.ie/fees-at-a-sligo-dentist/fees.html

Now here is Belmore price list, check the difference in Implant assessment cost, periodontal treatment, filling costs (typically £100 for a white filling in belmore).
    http://www.belmoredental.co.uk/fee.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Auxred

I've always found the Cleary Fitzgerald practice good.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ge_ch

after reading about dentists here I decided to make a long overdue appointment myself. not my favourite place to go to:(
    I rang O Connor Moore on Tue after having a look on their website.
    Got an appointment the next day.
    Found all the staff extremely friendly and professional.
    Got free check up on my PRSI, Xrays(€65) and cleaning (€60). the dentist also did a cancer check and took pictures with a special camera.
    he knew I was very nervous and he was very nice, showed me all the pictures on a screen and explained it in detail.
    the hygienist was also nice and efficient.
    I was very impressed with everything, esp. how modern and clean everything was. will definitely go there again next time.
    PS: sligoblue mentioned a white filling costs £100 at belmore, its €120 at O Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭emg74

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions - I actually rang http://www.blueappledental.com/ yesterday - they are in Belcoo. Their rates for fillings are between £25 for small ones and up to £100 for a big white one...Fingers crossed that my ones are small. Going to make an appointment for next week and at least then I will know properly what I need done and what it will cost.

emg74, I can tell you now before you travel, none of your fillings will be the "£25" type and are far more likey to be the "£100" type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 belmoredental

Many thanks to sligo blue for drawing your attention to our website. it is unfortunate that despite the fact that sligoblue provides a link to our fee guide, their information is entirely inaccurate. Our fees for filllings range from £30 to £90 depending on the size and material used. (not 'typically £100 for a white filling'!) As a rough guide silver fillings are approximateyl half of white fillings. The cost of implant assessments are to cover the time and laboratory costs incurred and this is refunded against the cost of implant placement should youproceed with treatment. The cost of periodontal treatment should not be confused with that of a simple scale and polish. Periodontal treatment is a complex disease which is time consuming and is a complete waste of effort if it is not done correctly.
    sligoblue wrote: »
    OP have you checked the prices of dental treatment at the Sligo clinics compared to Enniskillen. People assume that it is cheaper in the North when in fact it isnt, if you check some of the prices in the above mentioned Belmore clinic against the prices in the clinics in Sligo, Belmore are more expensive than down here and that is without even taking the cost of travel/time off work in to account.

Now here is Belmore price list, check the difference in Implant assessment cost, periodontal treatment, filling costs (typically £100 for a white filling in belmore).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

emg74, I can tell you now before you travel, none of your fillings will be the "£25" type and are far more likey to be the "£100" type.

I'm sure the OP will check before having treatment done. You don't know for sure that they are going to get charged £100

Well, I have my initial appointment on Friday morning and will know then exactly what I need to get done and how much it will cost. I will update here at that stage.

Many thanks to sligo blue for drawing your attention to our website. it is unfortunate that despite the fact that sligoblue provides a link to our fee guide, their information is entirely inaccurate. Our fees for filllings range from £30 to £90 depending on the size and material used. (not 'typically £100 for a white filling'!) As a rough guide silver fillings are approximateyl half of white fillings. The cost of implant assessments are to cover the time and laboratory costs incurred and this is refunded against the cost of implant placement should youproceed with treatment. The cost of periodontal treatment should not be confused with that of a simple scale and polish. Periodontal treatment is a complex disease which is time consuming and is a complete waste of effort if it is not done correctly.

Belmoredental, my post is accurate, white fillings tend to be the most expensive and £90 is €110 at today's rate. Your implant assessment is £350 (€420) which is at least twice the cost of clinics in Sligo and the clinics in Sligo also deduct their initial consult fee from the cost of the implant, your implants are £1950 (€2375) which is the same price as in Sligo but without the travel costs( 4 trips for an implant so add another €150 to €200) , 2 visits for periodontal treatment is £250 (€300) which again is considerably more expensive than in Sligo so in essence people are not saving anything by travelling and infact may even be paying more in Enniskillen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Auxred

I do find it funny when people go on about saving a few quid in the north but don't factor in the day off work and the petrol.

It's an interesting debate tho.

I'm gonna look closer at the local prices next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 belmoredental

Firstly apologies for the username, I am in the process of changing this with the website administrators. I shall try to be more generic with my arguments so as not to promote business or cause offense.

Sligoblue, whilst i am new to this website I was under the impression that discussions about price was against regulation, but whilst the moderators are happy with your quotations then I feel obliged to correct you. It seems to me that your post is inaccurate whichever way you look at it. You say that it is 'typically £100 for a white filling in Belmore' (your quotation not mine) whereas the fee schedule you direct people to informs them that the most expensive filling is £90. Whatever way you argue your point £90 is not and never will be £100. Furthermore your implication is that ('typically') the largest portion of fillings carried out are the most expensive. Again this is a falsehood. I will presume that there is no possible way you would know what the prescriber profile is for the said dental establishment, but I will make an informed estimate that the largest portion of fillings are small to moderate in size and are priced accordingly. If you allow me a few days I could find out the statistics for you to back this educated guess of mine. You presume that the OP will be quoted for the most expensive fillings possible. Forgive me but it almost seems that you are rather cynical about treatment in the north. As someone in the dental industry it is right and proper to have a range of prices for fillings from the small to the large. It is far more satisfying for any dentist to provide small preventative style fillings than have to rebuild an entire tooth. Prevention is always better than the cure but suffice to say that if someone turns up at our door with a mouth full of dental decay, the dentist can hardly be blamed for it! We do what is required to secure optimal oral health according to what is hopefully considered best practice and in the most ethical way possible.

Regarding the costs of implant assessment, to me this seems a little irrelevant as the dental practice you mention refunds this in the same way as the southern implantologists. It seems more relevant to me, as you pointed out that the total cost of the implant treatment is similar. (I will have to take your word on this, which from my previous arguments is something I feel a little uneasy about) But to expand on your point, any implant may be considered a complex surgical procedure and should be given sufficient thought and planning rather than just plowing on in there and hoping for the best. This requires lab work (and a subsequent cost to the dentist) but in the more complicated cases a considerable investment of the dentist's time planning a strategy and writing up a bespoke treatment plan and consent form for the patient. So you see implant treatment does not and should not begin as soon as the implant is placed; it starts long before this. I therefore believe that whether it is a northern or southern dentist, they should be remunerated for this time and cost. So it therefore really comes down to the total cost of the implant, which is as you say similar. Then to quote one of the other dentists on this board, it is down to value which involves quality of work, cost and customer service. These are variables which I cannot comment on about any other establishment. You also mention the cost of periodontal treatment. I cannot comment on what or how any other practice structures their fees, but another way in which such treatment can be valued is the length of time spent carrying out the actual treatment. I hope this clears up a few things and I truly hope that this post does not cause any offence, I have tried to be as generic as possible.

Belmoredental, this is an emotive issue for many people and whilst it may be against regulations to discuss pricing, it should be borne in mind that the reason for this discussion is that the OP was under the impression that dental treatment is cheaper in the North than in Sligo and this would appear to be untrue. The reason for posting the websites was that a considerable percentage of consumers now use the internet to check prices.

I accept that all dentists both North and South have the right to be renumerated for their work and also that both will always treat their patients to achieve optimal health.

The issue of cost is at the crux of this matter, and the websites indicate the costs in Sligo compare very favourably to your own and thats even before the cost and inconvenience of travel is added.

The cost of an implant assesment becomes very relevant if the person cannot or does not proceed with the treatment after the consultation, in your case they have paid €400 whereas in Sligo they have paid less than half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Discussions about price are not against the rules but belmoredental you joined boards to promote a business which is against the rules.

The OP has an appointment booked on Friday so we'll see how they got on then.

OP how did you get on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I notice Belmore Dental use a .co.uk domain... I wouldn't trust them.

However, many Dentists here often have predatory prices. I went to Budapest from Galway in 2010 and the difference in price savings was HUGE. If you want a millionaires salary, don't expect customers to subsidize it. At the end of the day, it is about having competitive prices.

• Advertisement

Skopzz wrote: »
    I notice Belmore Dental use a .co.uk domain... I wouldn't trust them.

However, many Dentists here often have predatory prices. I went to Budapest from Galway in 2010 and the difference in price savings was HUGE. If you want a millionaires salary, don't expect customers to subsidize it. At the end of the day, it is about having competitive prices.

This is a really strange post and I can only assume it is made "tongue-in-cheek", but in case you are serious I would like to point out a few things.

Firstly OP said he was going North for price reasons, no one on here has mentioned anything about quality or honesty, for you to say someone should not be trusted because they have a ".co.uk domain" is childlike and racist. My point is that that the price difference between Sligo and Enniskillen for many things is negligible and that there may now be no need to travel if you can find what you are looking for locally, and that is not specific to dental fillings.

Predatory: habitually hunting and killing other animals for food, how many dentists do you know who hunt and kill their patients?.

By going to Budapest you may be funding the the millionaire lifestyle of a dentist there albeit you pay less and your money in their pocket probably goes a lot further there.

Skopzz, I read your pre-edit and post-edit posts with interest, for those who did get the opportunity to read it, here it is:

"I went up to Newry from Galway in 2010 and the difference in price savings was HUGE. Obviously, one is also going to do some shopping up there so that you have the added bonus of price savings. I don't know anyone that goes up there just to have dental treatment without doing any shopping up there"

So was it Newry or Budapest and why edit Newry out?

This is a really strange post and I can only assume it is made "tongue-in-cheek", but in case you are serious I would like to point out a few things.

Firstly OP said he was going North for price reasons, no one on here has mentioned anything about quality or honesty, for you to say someone should not be trusted because they have a ".co.uk domain" is childlike and racist. My point is that that the price difference between Sligo and Enniskillen for many things is negligible and that there may now be no need to travel if you can find what you are looking for locally, and that is not specific to dental fillings.

Predatory: habitually hunting and killing other animals for food, how many dentists do you know who hunt and kill their patients?.

By going to Budapest you may be funding the the millionaire lifestyle of a dentist there albeit you pay less and your money in their pocket probably goes a lot further there.

Skopzz, I read your pre-edit and post-edit posts with interest, for those who did get the opportunity to read it, here it is:

"I went up to Newry from Galway in 2010 and the difference in price savings was HUGE. Obviously, one is also going to do some shopping up there so that you have the added bonus of price savings. I don't know anyone that goes up there just to have dental treatment without doing any shopping up there"

So was it Newry or Budapest and why edit Newry out?

I got a tooth filling in Newry before getting my braces done in Budapest.

I actually think you are another greedy Dentist trying to deceive consumers for your own agenda. The fact remains that it IS cheaper to go north for Dental treatment. You cannot stop consumers from avoiding Dentists here.

However, I would be more selective where I go up there because of the anti-Irish sentiment among some of the Unionist business community. For example, by using .co.uk as a business domain can be viewed as such.

Lastly, don't call me a "racist" - you know **** all about me.

Skopzz wrote: »
    I got a tooth filling in Newry before getting my braces done in Budapest.

I actually think you are another greedy Dentist trying to deceive consumers for your own agenda. The fact remains that it IS cheaper to go north for Dental treatment. You cannot stop consumers from avoiding Dentists here.

However, I would be more selective where I go up there because of the anti-Irish sentiment among some of the Unionist business community. For example, by using .co.uk as a business domain can be viewed as such.

Lastly, don't call me a "racist" - you know **** all about me.

How could you turn this thread into a rant about anti-irish sentiment?, it's about people buying goods and services here at the same price as there which is borne out by the fees charged in both places, are you saying the northern dentists are anti southerners?. This is nonsense. I have many years experience of dealing with building and manufacturing companies in the North and have never felt bias, I have always found them to be honorable, they often worry about gatting paid but who can blame anyone for that.

I am not a computer techie but I would assume that when you register a website you are not asked your religion and the .co.uk indicates only that it was registered in the UK, I would also assume that there are many non-unionist businesses in the North with .co.uk.

If would you said is not racist, it is bordering on sectarian bigotry.

I have looked up your posts, I do know something about you. You were mocked for your ill informed advice on currency exchange purchases and on another you claimed to have made a "200%" saving on contact lenses even though a poster pointed out that a "100%" saving meant you would have got them for free. I think this is called "trolling".

Does "braces" not involve multiple visits?, are you flying over and back to Budapest for this?.

What "deception" are you talking about?, the prices are all there for everyone to see, perhaps treatments are more expensive in Galway. You have hijacked this thread and turned it away from being polite, informative and localized into a sectarian racist rant about Unionist business people, no one wants this.

Apologies for the delay in getting back - I have been busy job hunting and doing interviews...

I had my first trip to the dentist & have another appointment at the end of the month.

As expected I need 3 fillings - 1 new one and have to get 2 old ones redone.

One is on the top so I am getting that done in silver @ £30

The other two are on the bottom so these are going to be white(one is currently silver) - these will be costing £55 & £85

I will also be getting 2 sessions with the hygienist which is listed at £65 for the package

Overall I am happy, the dentist has put my mind at ease - I was quiet worried about my gums and the fact that I have had to save for a while out of my SW payments meant that I had to put off the appointments for longer than I probably should have. But such is life, you have to prioritise esp when money is tight.

emg74 wrote: »
    Apologies for the delay in getting back - I have been busy job hunting and doing interviews...

I had my first trip to the dentist & have another appointment at the end of the month.

As expected I need 3 fillings - 1 new one and have to get 2 old ones redone.

One is on the top so I am getting that done in silver @ £30

The other two are on the bottom so these are going to be white(one is currently silver) - these will be costing £55 & £85

I will also be getting 2 sessions with the hygienist which is listed at £65 for the package

Overall I am happy, the dentist has put my mind at ease - I was quiet worried about my gums and the fact that I have had to save for a while out of my SW payments meant that I had to put off the appointments for longer than I probably should have. But such is life, you have to prioritise esp when money is tight.

Compared to local Sligo prices, how much would the savings be? I travel to Budapest every month with Ryanair and usually get back on the same day. I saved 65% on my Braces compared to the prices Galway Dentists were asking. This also takes into account the flights back and forth. I always plan my time carefully. Dental treatment in Budapest offers me excellent value for money and the quality of service is superb.

Advertisement