Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was in a pub last night....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Dave! wrote: »
    Wouldn't be very prudent to say it then, would it?

About as prudent as using your name as your user name?
    Isn't that right Emmettogara?

And before you ask...No Mr.Wiggle is not my real name !!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

I see no problem there, The customers/staff know what is happening and willingly place themselves there. if they didn't want to be there they could easily go to another pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Mousey- wrote: »
    I see no problem there, The customers/staff know what is happening and willingly place themselves there. if they didn't want to be there they could easily go to another pub.

People shouldn't have to make themselves scarce because others decide they'll just ignore the law. They obviously did want to be there; they didn't want to have their faces filled with cigarette smoke. And they had the law on their side. A law which the vast majority of the population approve of. So, perhaps instead of being arrogant, the smokers who flout the law and the will of the majority, could fcuk off back home if they are so desperate for a smoke. Or, you know, go outside, like the vast majority of smokers are willing to do.

PS: I like the occasional drunken cigarette myself, and am definitely not coming from a virulently anti-smoking position.

PPS: How do you know the staff willing choose to do any such thing? With jobs so scarce, it would take a brave bartender to complain to his boss about smoking. It could well be that the staff feel they no choice but to keep their mouths shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Typh

Hate to flog a dead horse with this argument, but I feel as if there are more important things to be up in arms about than an insular group smoking in some back-water pub.

The only harmful thing I see in it is the possibility of lung cancer, and seeing as I occasionally smoke when locked, it's something I put in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hmm...I Know, let us all go thru these again, then we can just repeat
    ad nauseum tilll we really are blue in the face?
    What d'ya think?
    Poll on it?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1502956

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59609186

And best of all
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56751062

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

headmaster wrote: »
    I'd love you to say that to him next time you're in hospital and need his professional care.

His profession is irrelevant, what exactly did he expect by calling the gardai in front of all of these people and ruining everyone's night. The way he approached the matter just serves to prove my point. If he wasn't happy with the situation he should have left and then reported it if he felt the need to.

Personally, I hope to never require care from someone who is obviously a bit gung ho and lacking in better judgement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

His profession is irrelevant, what exactly did he expect by calling the gardai in front of all of these people and ruining everyone's night. The way he approached the matter just serves to prove my point. If he wasn't happy with the situation he should have left and then reported it if he felt the need to.

Personally, I hope to never require care from someone who is obviously a bit gung ho and lacking in better judgement.

He did go to another premises and had no problem. By doing what he did, he made sure that the law of the land was upheld by this arrogant publican and while some customers were also hostile towards him, the vast majority were delighted. In fact the publican concerned has sent a written apology to my friend and to the gardai, acknowledging his guilt in allowing people to smoke. Hope that answers your glib remark and maybe other law breakers will learn a lesson. In this area they certainly will ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

It sounds like a regular’s pub. Were regulars go for their pint and (smoke) were they all know the rules.
    If you did not like it just leave stop bitching about it and I certainly would not report it.
    edit: I am a nonsmoker

Where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Im a smoker, and i always go outside, whether its a pub or friends house. I was however, in a pub recently, that had the few local ould lads and women smoking at the bar run by an old woman. I went outside for mine but had no problem with the old woman letting her locals do it. If you dont like it go to the next pub, your few pints isnt going to keep her afloat, the locals few is. She enjoys the chat, whilst probably makes enough to break even.

He did go to another premises and had no problem. By doing what he did, he made sure that the law of the land was upheld by this arrogant publican and while some customers were also hostile towards him, the vast majority were delighted. In fact the publican concerned has sent a written apology to my friend and to the gardai, acknowledging his guilt in allowing people to smoke. Hope that answers your glib remark and maybe other law breakers will learn a lesson. In this area they certainly will ;)

Again, just to make this clear for you, I'm not offering any opinion on the righteousness of your friends actions, I'm just saying that the way he went about it was all wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

anyone else feel that the smoking ban has encouraged smoking on nights out? you will see people now smoking in smoking areas in nightclubs who would never have smoked before when they were legally allowed inside? people go to the smoking areas now because thats mostly where people can chat and not have to shout at each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

flas wrote: »
    anyone else feel that the smoking ban has encouraged smoking on nights out? you will see people now smoking in smoking areas in nightclubs who would never have smoked before when they were legally allowed inside? people go to the smoking areas now because thats mostly where people can chat and not have to shout at each other!

CANT HEAR YOU. WHAT??

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

It's happening in a good few pubs now, especially down the country. I can see why some publican are allowing it- keeping the regulard happy any way poosible because a lot of the pub are barely ticking over.
    Smoking ban doesn't seem to be a major priority for the guards or whoever enforces it...

I'm a non smoker(for the past 4 months whoop whoop), but even when I was smoking I think I preferred to step outside. The shtink of smoke when your in a room full of it is nauseating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

Hate that attitude. "uphold the law of the land" :rolleyes:

How dare that publican let people smoke is his pub. I'd report him myself! .. now off I go to download things I didnt buy and i might buy some cheap stolen goods in the market tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

In my local the bar is divided into the lounge and the snug with the snug being the smoking area.I was in it last Monday and some randomers wandered into the lounge looking for soup and a sandwich only to be greeted by the owner standing in the snug looking out through the doorway with a cigarette in hand.Funny looks to say the least.He even got a write up in the pub spy thing in the Sunday World a few years ago and nothing was ever done about it.

I really dont know what the big deal is.

If people dont want to be in one of the few places that you can smoke in doors in then dont bloody go there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Again, just to make this clear for you, I'm not offering any opinion on the righteousness of your friends actions, I'm just saying that the way he went about it was all wrong.

Actually, it was right and the proper legal way to do things. The publican was breaking the law, so were some arrogant customers. I take it that you have no problem with breaking the law? BTW, you are offering an opinion, you've got that wrong as well. Now, that's me finished with this thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

CANT HEAR YOU. WHAT??

COME OUT TO THE SMOKING AREA, WE'L CHAT THERE!!!

Actually, it was right and the proper legal way to do things. The publican was breaking the law, so were some arrogant customers. I take it that you have no problem with breaking the law? BTW, you are offering an opinion, you've got that wrong as well. Now, that's me finished with this thread now.

Well done, you've misread my clearly stated post again, made assertions about an opinion I didn't offer and are now running away to avoid acknowledging your mistake.

This is the last time I'm going to tell you this whether you read it or not:

I am not offering an opinion on whether what your friend did was right or wrong, I never did offer such an opinion so it is impossible that I "got that wrong aswell".

How clear can I make this? I'll type in bold so that you might read it this time... The way in which he went about it was wrong. He should have left and then made a complaint if he felt it necessary, rather than standing there, mobile in hand, calling the gardai for everyone to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Shame on all you smokers, going around killing everyone.... with your smoking

Well done, you've misread my clearly stated post again, made assertions about an opinion I didn't offer and are now running away to avoid acknowledging your mistake.

This is the last time I'm going to tell you this whether you read it or not:

I am not offering an opinion on whether what your friend did was right or wrong, I never did offer such an opinion so it is impossible that I "got that wrong aswell".

How clear can I make this? I'll type in bold so that you might read it this time... The way in which he went about it was wrong. He should have left and then made a complaint if he felt it necessary, rather than standing there, mobile in hand, calling the gardai for everyone to see.

The bit in bold is an opinion, your opinion. How can you not understand that??? Well done you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Just last week in the Galway area, a friend of mine went into the town for a couple of pints (Sat night), people were openly smoking inside, he asked the owner to stop the people smoking, owner told him to fcuk off. My friend called the guards on his mobile from inside the pub and was manhandled in a very severe manner. The guards arrived, found people smoking on the premises, closed the doors back and front, took all the smokers names, took the owner aside for at least a half an hour and eventually closed the premises and told everyone to leave. A court case is next for this law breaking businessman. My friend is a male nurse which makes him an employee of the HSE, but this never came up at any stage in calling out the guards or when they arrived.

You're friend should have more sense seeing as he works in a hospital. He should know all about prioritising.

On a Saturday night, the busiest night for gaurds in Galway he rang them to sort out a few people having a ciggie. Jesus christ.

The bit in bold is an opinion, your opinion. How can you not understand that??? Well done you.

God, it's like banging your head off a brick wall in here. Headmaster maintained that I had formed an opinion on whether or not what his friend did was right or wrong when in fact I was pointing out that the way he went about the whole situation was arseholeish.

Of course I have an opinion johnners, just not the opinion that headmaster keeps telling me I do.

Oh, and thanks very much for the "well done you", a little appreciation can make a lads day! :D

God, it's like banging your head off a brick wall in here. Headmaster maintained that I had formed an opinion on whether or not what his friend did was right or wrong when in fact I was pointing out that the way he went about the whole situation was arseholeish.

Of course I have an opinion johnners, just not the opinion that headmaster keeps telling me I do.

Oh, and thanks very much for the "well done you", a little appreciation can make a lads day! :D

Your very welcome:) Now you and headmaster be nice, ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

It sounds like a regular’s pub. Were regulars go for their pint and (smoke) were they all know the rules.
    If you did not like it just leave stop bitching about it and I certainly would not report it.
    edit: I am a nonsmoker

Of course not .....turn the blind eye....regulars pub...nod nod wink wink.

Vote for fianna fail do you ?

Hmmmmmm ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Dave! wrote: »
    It's mad how a law can have such a strong effect on public opinion! Pubs used to be smoke-filled and most people didn't care, just accepted it as a given. Now in a few short years smoking indoors is "disgusting"! It used to be acceptable to have a couple of pints and drive home, now it's abhorrent, and most people would describe it as reckless endangerment at the very least. People used to absent-mindedly throw rubbish on the ground, now I think most people get pangs of conscience if we drop so much as a lollipop stick on the ground! Cigarette butts don't seem to have worked their way into the consciousness as 'litter' just yet, I'm sure they will though.

I think the laws and government advertising campaigns preceeded the shift in popular opinion with all those issues. Maybe with the exception of litter.

I'm all for the smoking ban in general, can't say I'd get too worked up if I walked into a smoking bar though.
    Well, smoking in general is disgusting.

Just last week in the Galway area, a friend of mine went into the town for a couple of pints (Sat night), people were openly smoking inside, he asked the owner to stop the people smoking, owner told him to fcuk off. My friend called the guards on his mobile from inside the pub and was manhandled in a very severe manner. The guards arrived, found people smoking on the premises, closed the doors back and front, took all the smokers names, took the owner aside for at least a half an hour and eventually closed the premises and told everyone to leave. A court case is next for this law breaking businessman. My friend is a male nurse which makes him an employee of the HSE, but this never came up at any stage in calling out the guards or when they arrived.

How anyone can go on a night out to enjoy themselves and end up doing that is beyond me.. He sounds like a dry bitter man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭Goose81

What a legend your friend is!
    Going out on a night out and would actually bother to report this instead of trying to pull a woman.

Your friend sounds like an absolute bell end and so do you, I hope he got a good kicking you ****ing geek!
    boards.ie geek of the year award right here, enjoy your call of duty tournament.

Your friend is a male nurse, says it all really. Its people like you that ruin this country.

MOD NOTE:
    Goose81 has been infracted for this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Looks like we're only a few posts away from Godwin's Law.

Ooooh! People who smoke in pubs are all Nazis. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, the people that complain about after hours smoking are the same people that are ordering beers at 1 AM and still on the premises at 1.30 AM. AFAIK, the law states that on a Saturday night, bar closes at 12.30 AM and premises must be vacated by 01.00 AM.

So, with this in mind, smoking in pub and breaking the law = bad, but drinking after hours and breaking the law = good? I'm just wondering are we allowed choose what laws we want to obey now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

waaay too many high horses in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

mr.wiggle wrote: »
    then I reckon this is a legally binding verbal contract !?

A verbal contract is not legally binding if it involves an illegal activity.

Advertisement