Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D Land

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

Exactly two months away (18th November), I'm really looking forward to this...
    Hopefully its packed full of levels, secrets, and replay value. :)

Latest official trailer:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they've sure made the end of level flag jumps alot easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Looks like a great game, I especially like the concept of it playing like a 2D Mario game whilst being in 3D.
    What I've seen so far makes me excited for the game especially since there's precisley zero games for 3DS right now, this game and MK7 is exactly what the 3Ds is screaming out for to get the console started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon. It will finally give me a reason to use the 3DS.

I have this pre-ordered on Amazon. It will finally give me a reason to use the 3DS.

I exclusively use my 3DS to play DS games, it's a crying shame because the machine itself is amazing but is being let down by incredibly poor software. Hopefully with the upcoming releases such as MarioKart and Land amongst others the auld 3DS will get the push it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

pdbhp wrote: »
    Looks like a great game, I especially like the concept of it playing like a 2D Mario game whilst being in 3D.
    What I've seen so far makes me excited for the game especially since there's precisley zero games for 3DS right now, this game and MK7 is exactly what the 3Ds is screaming out for to get the console started.

MK7? Am I missing something here, or would that mean Mortal Kombat: Armageddon?

Anyways, this game looks like great fun, as most Mario games are. I don't have a 3DS, but if I did, this would certainly be on my to-buy list. Also, I'm gonna have that music stuck in my head all damn day now, lol.

• Advertisement

deathrider wrote: »
    MK7? Am I missing something here, or would that mean Mortal Kombat: Armageddon?

Anyways, this game looks like great fun, as most Mario games are. I don't have a 3DS, but if I did, this would certainly be on my to-buy list. Also, I'm gonna have that music stuck in my head all damn day now, lol.

MK7 = MarioKart 7, thats what they're calling it. another misleading title from Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

pdbhp wrote: »
    MK7 = MarioKart 7, thats what they're calling it. another misleading title from Nintendo.

Ah, I see. I spotted a pre-order case for that (and MarioLand 3D) in HMV a few days ago, but the title on it was just Mario Kart 3D as far as I can recall.

Well MarioKart 7 is the official name, seen a few pre order cases around myself but I'm sure there'll be enough copies to go around

• Registered Users Posts: 83,349 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

All hail racoon suit!

RMario-242x300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

is coming out on November 18, 2011

that same date as
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that going cost some people allot of money who want to buy both games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

wampyrus77 wrote: »

that same date as
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that going cost some people allot of money who want to buy both games

Girlfriend is buying it for the 3DS we share, I'm getting her MK7 for Xmas and she is getting me Skyward Sword for xmas:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

there are a lot of games demanding my money right now but this is really high on my list. which is especially difficult as I will also have to buy a 3DS to play the flipping thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

getting to play this and skyward sword next wednesday, looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

wampyrus77 wrote: »

that same date as The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword that going cost some people allot of money who want to buy both games

And Mario Kart 7 is out two weeks later! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Played this a few months ago and it didn't give me a wow factor that would make me want to buy it, let alone play it all the way through. Sure, it's good old Mario platforming but it didn't beat either Galaxy games on the Wii.

Really enjoyed MK7, though. It had some cool tracks with crazy shortcuts which I'd love to play with friends but I don't know anyone else with a 3DS :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Played this a few months ago and it didn't give me a wow factor that would make me want to buy it, let alone play it all the way through. Sure, it's good old Mario platforming but it didn't beat either Galaxy games on the Wii.
    That's because it's a 2D platformer, not 3D like galaxy.

Compare it with New Super Mario Bros. Wii or DS.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    That's because it's a 2D platformer, not 3D like galaxy.

You're saying Super Mario Land 3D is 2D?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

You're saying Super Mario Land 3D is 2D?

3d backrounds etc, 2d platforming , like super mario world on the snes, but now the mountains you run past in the distance seem in 3d i would imagine

edit: ignore the above rubbish !! from what i had seen of it i thought it was a 2d platformer. just looked at the opening video and its a whole lot more. looks very interesting indeed

2smiggy wrote: »
    just looked at the opening video and its a whole lot more. looks very interesting indeed

Glad you checked it out. Was only messing with /\/ollag because he didn't. I wanted to like the demo but I just prefer 3D Mario with Wii controls/ big screen TV.

It's hard to explain.
    The platforms are 3D, in 3D, etc., but the platforming is very much left-to-right, or down-to-up, rather than what you'd get in the 3D games.

I was partly paraphrasing what Miyamoto said about the game at TGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just checked youtube and a new trailer came out last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

That is another good trailer. I'm glad there is some more Streetpass functionality coming.

Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 are probably the only games I'd ever play on a 3DS. So I'm not sure whether to actually get one or not. Still have a DS Lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First review is out - Edge gave it
    8/10
    It's the best handheld Mario game in years, but negatives include the tanooki suit (available or can be brought into almost every level) makes the game too easy, it is only 7-8 hours long, and the levels are conservative and linear (rather than encouraging exploration).

Still a day 1 buy for me, though.....

Both new Mario games on 3DS look great, there seems to be a bit of a cloud over the console the last while mainly due to a serious lack of games but that looks like it's going to end soon.

Just has a play of this and mario kart. Mario is a little disappointing, tjough its mainly due to the 3ds thumb stick being awful. Far too much time wasted and jumps missed due to poor controls. The 3d is much the same as any other 3ds title, in that its best left well alone. The game itself is kind of a mario 64 lite, without being anywhere near as fun from the 4 levels i played. From my hands on its definitely the weakest Mario platformer nintendo has ever made. Im a little bit gutted to be honest.

Mk7 fares a little better in that its mario kart, and pretty much impossible to mess up. Surprisingly the 3d actually works, mainly because its subtle even at the mac settings. The gliders work well abd the tracks on show were quite varied ranging from land to sea with plenty of airborne bits. Basically its mario kart. Same as it ever was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

The problem i had with mario kart on ds was it didnt feel like you were going very fast , hopfully with the 3ds being more powerful it feel alot better

I didnt get the chance to change cc, so i was stuck on the slowest, which isnt very fast. Cant speak for the faster ones

• Advertisement

The problem i had with mario kart on ds was it didnt feel like you were going very fast , hopfully with the 3ds being more powerful it feel alot better

They're Go-Karts, not f1 racing cars.

Advertisement