Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D Land

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yes, it is safe for a 2 year old up to a 150 year old.
    It does no damage what so ever to anyones eyes, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I'd say it's more likely to cause eye strain with the 3D slider at full though, can't imagine that'd be good for kids. I feel a bit weird if I play it for a while, in comparison to playing the DS for the same length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Didn't even realise this was an issue. I've bought the game anyhow. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Yes, it is safe for a 2 year old up to a 150 year old.SIZE="1"][B]Citation needed.[/B][/SIZE
    It does no damage what so ever to anyones eyesSIZE="1"][B]Citation needed.[/B][/SIZE , at all.SIZE="1"][B]Impossible statement to verify or falsify.[/B][/SIZE

I'm loving it! :) I won't say where I am as I don't want to spoil it, but the game is much longer than you might think.

Definitely the best Mario game I've played in a long time. The 3D platformers never sat well with me (with the possible exception of Super Mario 64) but a 3D game with 2D-style gameplay certainly sits well with me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I've finally had the chance to sit down and play this. I've been working through it at a fairly steady pace. On World 4 now. So far I'd say I am enjoying it more than any Mario game since Super Mario World. It is certainly superior to either of the Galaxy games on the Wii. The 3D Mario games just don't do it for me.

I did like New Super Mario Bros. Wii but 3D Land has a lot more invention. For me this game really comes into its own with level 2-3 (I think it is). The level that introduces you to the propeller block.

Some of the Gold coins are very well hidden. I simply cannot find the third coin on level 2-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I simply cannot find the third coin on level 2-2.

If you look back over the thread, you'll see that one had me stumped too. Hint:
    you need to start looking after you surface at the end, and you'll need to have a certain ability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I've finally had the chance to sit down and play this. I've been working through it at a fairly steady pace. On World 4 now. So far I'd say I am enjoying it more than any Mario game since Super Mario World. It is certainly superior to either of the Galaxy games on the Wii. The 3D Mario games just don't do it for me.

I did like New Super Mario Bros. Wii but 3D Land has a lot more invention. For me this game really comes into its own with level 2-3 (I think it is). The level that introduces you to the propeller block.

Some of the Gold coins are very well hidden. I simply cannot find the third coin on level 2-2.

Did you try youtubin it

Did you try youtubin it

No not yet. I am going to continue on with the game and come back later for the coins that I miss. I will use YouTube as a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Everyone what got the 3.0 update, check your mushroom houses.
    People on your friendslist can sometimes give you gifts.
    I never had this happen before 3.0

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Everyone what got the 3.0 update, check your mushroom houses.
    People on your friendslist can sometimes give you gifts.
    I never had this happen before 3.0

I received a Flower power-up from a stranger the other day in a mushroom house.

Having put a good few hours into this game now I only have one minor complaint. When playing as small Mario there just seems to be something off about his jumping. I think the inertia just feels wrong which results in me missing nearly all the jumps with him.

I HATE the Cosmic Clones
    :(

The special levels are a serious challenge. A real jump up in difficulty from the first half.

Is it safe to use spoilers yet?

I beat World 8 just before Christmas and
    opened up the new Worlds
    . I haven't been back to play it since so I don't really know how much of the extra content is new. Hopefully plenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, he'll love it. Just PLEASE turn off the 3D effect - it's not safe for children under 7. I wouldn't risk accomodation development for a videogame.

to be honest id recommend turning it off anyway, mainly because it's pointless, drains the battery and adds absolutely nothing to gameplay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Yeah, he'll love it. Just PLEASE turn off the 3D effect - it's not safe for children under 7. I wouldn't risk accomodation development for a videogame.

Actually, some scienticians think it may be beneficial to kids' eyesight development.
    We just don't know either way yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Helix wrote: »
    to be honest id recommend turning it off anyway, mainly because it's pointless, drains the battery and adds absolutely nothing to gameplay

In most of the 3DSes games, I'd agree with you regarding the 3D. However in Mario is absolutely fantastic. 3D adds a lot to 3rd person platforming. I never liked that kind of platforming for the simple reason that you couldn't judge depth properly. Now you can.

its definitely one of the better uses of it, but it's still utterly pointless imo

waste of all that power

Master of the Universe

'Utterly pointless' is a bit strong! It does have a use in gaming.

I think a lot of people jumped on an anti 3D bandwagon after the slew of 3D films released recently. Which is understandable, I'm sick of them myself. Most of it is just exploitation type effects 'wow! look! something is popping out of the screen!' /yawn

Games are different though as they can actually take advantage and use 3D in interesting interactive ways. Most haven't so far, so I can understand why people would think it's just more tacked on 3D ****e.

Have you played Zen Pinball 3D? It's bloody brilliant. Looks like you have a pinball table in your hands. Turn the 3D off and it completely loses that feel.

Personally I'd like to see a mix of both - games with innovative 3D use and then other games which use 100% of the console's power for 2D games.

• Advertisement

i think 3d definitely has a place in gaming, more than any other medium probably. but the 3ds's effect just doesnt cut it for me, personally. 3d gaming on a 3dtv is a different ball game entirely though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I'm loving the 3d so far (just playing the last 2 days), but usually keep it set to half. Adds a nice......something

Master of the Universe

efla wrote: »
    I'm loving the 3d so far (just playing the last 2 days), but usually keep it set to half. Adds a nice......something

It's interesting how your eyes learn to see 3D. When I first got my 3DS, I had a real problem with it up high and kept it on half most of the time. I also had a problem watching 3D films in general and would keep losing the effect and getting a tad dizzy.

If it happens now, it's more to do with the game than my eyes (Pilotwings on full 3D seems to be a good example of this)..I seem to have no problem with it on full for most games. Even went to see a 3D film recently for the first time in absolutely ages and it was a lot more comfortable and easy on the eyes than before I had a 3DS.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just started this the other day and it's making the commute a little quicker. Some really nice levels and effects, although at Stage 5 and wish some of the stages were a bit bigger than we are. Guess it's for portability and what not, but a handful seem to cut short just as they're getting going. That said, many of the 3D effects are delightful, and some absolutely great gameplay surprises throughout (love the
    heli suit
    :D)

Again, not too far in, but I'm guessing from the vague hints on this thread that my stock of 80 (!) lives is going to come in handy soon enough?? :pac:

i spent an hour racking up the lives today to see if the counter went past 999

it does

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The viewing angles and eye strain make the 3D very, very niche. There was plenty of more effective uses of the 3DS's production budget, particularly the screen and the gpu, the first of which is already showing its age in both its resolution and reliance on a resistive touchscreen.

Super Mario 3D Land DLC incoming? :pac:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-30-nintendo-hints-at-paid-super-mario-3d-land-dlc

Could be just pie in the sky at the moment, but hints at what may be coming down the line with the Nintendo Network...

I hadn't played this since the turn of the year but I've been playing it again for the last couple of days. I'm working my way through all the special worlds now. They are tougher than the first 8 worlds but I was expecting a little more variety. Some of the levels seem very similar with just a few small tweaks.

Still no sign of any DLC for this game though.

Advertisement