Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Magazine overseas?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

Is this okay?
    I am going to look at a gun tomorrow in Landers Tralee. It doesn't have a magazine. Now I can find these magazines in the UK and USA. Would there be any issue with buying a mag for this gun (If I decide to buy)
    The gun is a browning t-bolt .22lr.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

kfod wrote: »
    Is this okay?
    I am going to look at a gun tomorrow in Landers Tralee. It doesn't have a magazine. Now I can find these magazines in the UK and USA. Would there be any issue with buying a mag for this gun (If I decide to buy)
    The gun is a browning t-bolt .22lr.
    Cheers :)

No there should be no issues especially buying in from europe. Good luck

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just be careful.

You will get people telling you they have done it a "hundred times" and never had a bother, and they could be right. It does not make it okay, simply means they have never been caught or gotten into trouble for doing it.

They law says that every COMPONENT part of a firearm is in itself a firearm. Component part menas a part, piece, element or ingredient of a whole. Technically a screw from a firearm is a component part.

Why not see if the dealer can get one for you. His RFD license would cover him for such imports. If you decide to do it yourself be sure you are in the clear, legal wise, otherwise you could have "your collar felt" by AGS/Customs/DOJ.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

ASFIK,if you are liscensed to a particular gun,you can purchase the "component parts" for that model..Ergo buy/liscense the gun first and then buy the bits for it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Absolutely you can. No "problem" there.

My only point of concern is importing such parts. By ordering a component part you need to have the necessary authorisation to import them/it. The problem lies in the wording. Any component part. They do not specify what is or what is no a component part, and unfortunately what we believe is or isn't does not count for much.

Chances are you may never have an issue and it could come through without a hitch. However if the customs stop your package, check the contents, deem the magazine to be a component part of a firearm, then look for the appropriate import licenses, etc and you cannot produce it you could find yourself in trouble for illegal importation of a firearm/firearm part/component part.

The reason they are so fussy about this it simple. If you claim a mag is not, a bolt/screw is not, a stock is not, then pretty soon a person could assemble almost all the parts for a firearm to build one. I know thats a long stretch, but trust me these ideas do go through the minds of the PTB.

I'm not saying be afraid or nervous to get anything you want, just make sure you know where you stand and you have checked out everything before acting. Thats all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kfod

Landers is in the process of closing their gunroom so I doubt they will be buying in parts etc.

I knew if it was to do with guns it couldn't be simple! Any ideas where to look to see what paperwork etc. (if any) would need to be done?

• Advertisement

Landers is in the process of closing their gunroom so I doubt they will be buying in parts etc.

I knew if it was to do with guns it couldn't be simple! Any ideas where to look to see what paperwork etc. (if any) would need to be done?

Google it any of the gun suppliers/shops in Uk/north or europe will post you one no probs

Why not just ring around a few dealers. Surely one will either have it or know where to get you one.

If all else fails then look into getting one shipped in. Irrespective of what is said here its your decision whether to have one shipped in or not. I'm merely giving you all the info. When it comes to guns and parts ntohing is as striaght forward as just getting it.

from a quick look at the revenue.ie site it looks like it should be ok if you hold a licence for the gun.

Have a look online so and see where they can be gotten. As was mentioned look within Europe. Less/no taxes/duties to be paid.

thanks lads, hopefully the gun will be nice now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ezridax wrote: »
    Absolutely you can. No "problem" there.
    My only point of concern is importing such parts. By ordering a component part you need to have the necessary authorisation to import them/it. The problem lies in the wording. Any component part. They do not specify what is or what is no a component part, and unfortunately what we believe is or isn't does not count for much.

Going from when I imported my Glock years ago,I asked the DOJ about this.According to them IF you are importing a firearm from the USA or its "component/replacement parts" and hold a current FAC for it in the ROI the Irish FAC IS the import liscense.
    IOW there is no specific,or was at the time,import paperwork to be filled out by you for the DOJ, on the other side of the pond the Feds seemed quite happy with this or even a covering email from the DOJ stating such.
    Wether this has changed,I dont know, and open to correction
    Chances are you may never have an issue and it could come through without a hitch. However if the customs stop your package, check the contents, deem the magazine to be a component part of a firearm, then look for the appropriate import licenses, etc and you cannot produce it you could find yourself in trouble for illegal importation of a firearm/firearm part/component part.
    See above points..The problem as I would see it is trying as a "mere civillian" to explain this to some wet behind the ears in firearms laws customs offical that is hoping for a bust by you not having the paperwork for this henious item!!
    I'm not saying be afraid or nervous to get anything you want, just make sure you know where you stand and you have checked out everything before acting. Thats all.

Indeed,and sound advice.However,it would be great if we could get offical dom to give us a clearly understandable statement on this.Not this vauge grey fog .
    ..If you own a certain type of firearm,and are liscensed for it,can you import parts for it from the USA/EU without any further paperwork?Yes/No would do fine! No,what form is required?Simples really

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For what its worth I did find this when I looked into bringing a trigger group in for my 10/22

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/category%20A-D.pdf/Files/category%20A-D.pdf

I would say that a trigger group would be classed under D a essential component. In the end i will get my rfd to get it. Ruger magazines are retailing in germany about €20 I got quoted €38 recently, so you can see the advantages.

How about you fill in the form and send it to the e mail then come back and let us know how you got on;):D

I also have found this in the customs have a read of it it actually describes how to import also refers tp component part and goes onto mention essential to making it fire). Maybe thats the key word.

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

The importation of firearms and ammunition is prohibited except:
    • under licence issued by:
    The Minister for Justice and Law Reform, Department of Justice and Law Reform, 94 St. Stephens Green,
    Dublin 2.
    Tel. (01) 6028202, LoCall 1890 221 227 Website: www.justice.ie/

• by the holder of a current firearm certificate in respect of the firearm and ammunition to the quantity as specified on the firearms certificate.

my read import license and holder of a firearm cert for the specific firearm???

For the purpose of this prohibition the term “firearm” means:

• a lethal firearm or other lethal weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged,
    • an air gun (including an air rifle and air pistol) with a muzzle energy greater than one joule or any other weapon incorporating a barrel from which any projectile can be discharged with such a muzzle energy,
    • a crossbow,
    • any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission,
    • a prohibited weapon meaning and including any weapon of whatever description designed for the discharge of any noxious liquid, noxious gas or other noxious thing, and also any ammunition (whether for any such weapon or any other weapon) which contains or is designed or adapted to contain any noxious liquid, noxious gas or other noxious thing,
    • any article which would be a firearm under any of the foregoing paragraphs but for the fact that, owing to the lack of a necessary component part or parts, or
    to any other defect or condition, it is incapable of discharging a shot, bullet or other missile or projectile or of causing a shock or other disablement, as the case may be,
    • except where the context otherwise requires, any component part of any article referred to in any of the foregoing paragraphs and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the following articles shall be deemed to be such component parts:

o telescope sights with a light beam or telescope sights with an electronic light amplification device or an infra‐red device, designed to be fitted to a firearm,
    o A silencer designed to be fitted to a firearm and any object manufactured for use as a component in connection with the operation of a firearm, and without which it could not function as originally designed, and
    o a device capable of discharging blank ammunition and to be used as a starting gun or blank firing gun, and includes a restricted firearm, unless otherwise provided or the context otherwise requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I imported a magazine for an old Remington 511 a few years back. I rang the Park and was told a magazine wasn't considered a component of a firearm, therefore I could import privately. However, we all know that everyone, including the Gardai, have their own interpretation of the law, so it would do no harm to email the FPU and try and get something in writing to say its OK before you import.

I decided against the t-bolt anyway, but it's good to know about the known unknowns of importing for future ref, cheers lads :)

I decided against the t-bolt anyway, but it's good to know about the known unknowns of importing for future ref, cheers lads :)

Jayus after all that:D;) Look what you :eek::rolleyes:caused

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭DonnchaMc

Ezridax wrote: »

The problem lies in the wording. Any component part. They do not specify what is or what is no a component part, and unfortunately what we believe is or isn't does not count for much.

Isnt that just Irish Law in a nut shell..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

DonnchaMc wrote: »
    Isnt that just Irish Law in a nut shell..:mad:

No thats Law full stop there is a massive industry built on it "The Legal System". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

No thats Law full stop there is a massive industry built on it "The Legal System". :)

Exactly. Those who write the Law make it ambiguous resulting in lots of court cases = more legal fees for their buddies in the legal profession.

Advertisement