Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video editing software for absolute beginner?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 12:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I just bought a GoPro camera and have been taking some footage on board my motorbike. I have never done any video editing but want to give it a go, just some basic stuff - cutting and splicing, add some music etc.

Can anyone recommend what might be the easiest one to use? Preferably one that is easy to do the basics but maybe can do some more interesting stuff if I want to get more into it down the line?

Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You won't go wrong with THIS FOR $20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

windows movie maker is another one

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 conan_

I recommend Sony Vegas. Clear interface. Really easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ruthjohnson

There is 2 great editing software for windows that I use. One is Adobe After Effects, which is the most used and "greatest" editing software available. It take a little while to get used to, and is expensive. Although it does come with a Free-30-Day trial. Same with Sony Vegas Pro 10. It's easier to get used to. Both are great in what they do, and they come with additional plug-ins you can install from the interne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Zascar wrote: »
    Hey guys, I just bought a GoPro camera and have been taking some footage on board my motorbike. I have never done any video editing but want to give it a go, just some basic stuff - cutting and splicing, add some music etc.

Can anyone recommend what might be the easiest one to use? Preferably one that is easy to do the basics but maybe can do some more interesting stuff if I want to get more into it down the line?

For what you want to do I'd say use Windows Movie maker, it's free when you have windows.
    You can easily splice and edit together with music and voice over if you want. It will get you started and if you get a taste for it then move us to something from Adobe or Sony Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Sure, Vegas is great but $$$.

If you just want to splice and dice your clips, without loosing quality you can use a free util called avidemux. Most forms of video editing software will force you to re-compress\encode the video when you are done editing, so if all you need is a couple of chops here and there avidemux is great. I use it to chop down 960p clips from my GoPro all the time.

Honestly iMovie on OS X is great for beginners. Just putting that out there :)
    Vegas is my editor of choice, but its not cheap!
    Lightworks is free, so its worth trying
    http://www.lightworksbeta.com/
    http://cinegearblog.com/category/cinegearschool/editshare-lightworks/ (Tutorials)
    http://www.lightworksbeta.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=showcat&catid=26&Itemid=269 (Video Tutorials)
    I'm not a fan of movie maker, but its free and worth trying. I haven't tried it on Windows 7, maybe its snazzier on 7?

Here's a list of software: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_editing_software

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

I'd come into this forum to ask the exact same question as the OP.

Light works looks like the one to go with, especially as its free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Light works doesn't work on mac. Has anyone used final cut pro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Light works doesn't work on mac. Has anyone used final cut pro?

I've used Final Cut Express if that's any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Yes, I use FCP and it is definitely not for beginners.

iMovie is actually pretty good and easy enough to use.

However there are plenty of on-line tutorials for FCP available on youtube.

Is there any editing software supplied with or available for download for the GoPro?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There is 2 great editing software for windows that I use. One is Adobe After Effects, which is the most used and "greatest" editing software available. It take a little while to get used to, and is expensive. Although it does come with a Free-30-Day trial. Same with Sony Vegas Pro 10. It's easier to get used to. Both are great in what they do, and they come with additional plug-ins you can install from the interne
    After effects is a special effects package more than an editor. Première is adobes editing package but that is still pricey.

For most people windows movie maker would be a fine introduction to editing. I'd definitely stick with a free package to start with. then if it becomes something you want to get more into chose one of the proper pieces of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

As mentioned After Effects is good for effects but not editing. I started out on Movie Maker - so dependent on your video requirements this could do the job. Moved on to premiere elements, and then premiere pro. Haven't tried Vegas but heard good things. Are you using go pro hd or just go pro?
    Shot this on motorbike with go pro hd , premiere pro, and after effects for effects a few months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

reece wrote: »
    As mentioned After Effects is good for effects but not editing. I started out on Movie Maker - so dependent on your video requirements this could do the job. Moved on to premiere elements, and then premiere pro. Haven't tried Vegas but heard good things. Are you using go pro hd or just go pro?
    Shot this on motorbike with go pro hd , premiere pro, and after effects for effects a few months ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2xNtjJeC0

Brilliant video Reece, how do you blot out the licence plates?

Bodhan wrote: »
    Brilliant video Reece, how do you blot out the licence plates?

Cheers. After effects. Duplicated layer and added mosaic . Then key framed the pen tool thoughout the timeline, AE does the rest

Cheers. After effects. Duplicated layer and added mosaic . Then key framed the pen tool thoughout the timeline, AE does the rest
    You could have just applied the mosaic to an adjustment layer and saved yourself some processing time on a dublicated video file. ;) It's also a non destructive way of editing the layers below.

ScumLord wrote: »
    You could have just applied the mosaic to an adjustment layer and saved yourself some processing time on a dublicated video file. ;) It's also a non destructive way of editing the layers below.

must give it a go.

must give it a go.
    You should try putting most your effects on adjustment layers it makes it easier to apply them to other videos and the actual video file is untouched so can be replaced at any time without having to do any work. It can be easier to animate to as you can just animate the adjustment layer without trying to alter with complicated masks.

A good book for doing the kind of editing your doing is "after effects CS5 Visual effects and compositing studio techniques". It's written by the guy who worked on Avatar. It's not full of complicated things, it's actually simple fundamental techniques that can really speed up your workflow while making it much easier to go back and make changes that filter on.

Yeah, i usually use adj layers for color correction. Hadnt thought about using them for pen tool. Have that book...unopened :-), i usually just follow andrew krammer

Yeah, i usually use adj layers for color correction. Hadnt thought about using them for pen tool. Have that book...unopened :-), i usually just follow andrew krammer
    Andrew crammer actually references this guy and does one of his technique "stabilize shaky footage". The book links in nicely with Kramers tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

does anyone use Premiere elements - if so , any thoughts ?

i use adobe ps elements for stills and it is grand

• Advertisement

Having a quick look at on Adobe it looks OK, it can do colour keying (green screen) so can handle transparent layers. It looks like it's pretty close to the full blown première which is a basic enough editor as it relies on after effects to do the things it can't.

What do you want to do with it, have you tried the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

ScumLord wrote: »
    Having a quick look at on Adobe it looks OK, it can do colour keying (green screen) so can handle transparent layers. It looks like it's pretty close to the full blown première which is a basic enough editor as it relies on after effects to do the things it can't.

What do you want to do with it, have you tried the trial?

cheers, I want to start doing a bit of video editing on some stuff i have taken on the dslr - for stills , elements has all i need - will start the trial in the coming weeks , have never used any video editing tools before

thebaz wrote: »
    cheers, I want to start doing a bit of video editing on some stuff i have taken on the dslr - for stills , elements has all i need - will start the trial in the coming weeks , have never used any video editing tools before
    In many ways it's the same as photoshop it's just the pictures are videos, the major difference is the timeline ads the dimension of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dusterd

Windows movie maker for the beginner without a doubt. Prone to crashing though so keep it in mind to save, save, save your work every few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 eleven1

Zascar wrote: »

if u r a beginner then there is a small learnin curve, i used vegas & premiere , premiere is easier because i'm familiar with adobe softwares , youtube has plenty of video tutorials to help you make up your mind & gettin started, also these programs can b very expensive .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 HousemanJB

Freddie59 wrote: »
    I've used Final Cut Express if that's any help.

I have used Final Cut Express too, Still a little to hard for me. My wife actually found muvee reveal X ( http://www.muvee.com ) and with there program you can basically just load up all your raw material and it does all the chops and fades for you, and then you can tailor it after. It usually takes me about 10 mins for a pretty awesome looking video, they are only really ever going on youtube anyways so im not too concerned with the small details.

Anyway that works for me with all my Gopro material!

Cheers, HM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 andreass

for absolute beginning, i would use windows movie maker, or stuff like that.
    the new final cut pro is also easier to use like the old one (but also ****tier), i would stick to adobe premiere....

Advertisement