Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

non bland healthy dish

Options
  • 18-09-2011 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys!

basically i need a recipe that i wont get sick off and it needs to be healthy...

i cant have salt or sugar :/

i thought of one healthy recipe: steamed rice and broccoli with boiled chicken!

but its so bland and i know will get so sick of it!

so im just wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for a nice healthy meal that isnt that bland!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Zero salt?

As your body does need some salt in your diet and by no sugar do you mean no sweets and things or literally no sugar? Lol

There are millions of healthy non-bland recipes.. :D

Give us a list of your favourite vegetables and we'll work from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

maybe not zero salt but a very small amount!

zero sugar! im not allowed any sugar in my diet!

i like onions, broccoli, carrots, turnip sometimes, sweetcorn, peas, parsnip, potatoes, peppers, chillies

i hate courgettes, avacados and cucumbers!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Stir-fried chicken & veg with chinese 5-spice & rice. Low in fat & very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I find roasting veg intensifies the flavours so you don't need much salt.
    Mix what ever veg you want with some olive oil and smoked paprika. I like butternut squash, aubergines, peppers, parsnips, sweet potato. Roast and serve with fish or meat.

I also find adding spices instead of salt can work. I don't notice the lack of salt in curries and chillies.

Another fav is to halve a squash, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with a mix of chilli, cumin (or garam marsala), black pepper, paprika and roast. Serve with pork chops and pak choi.

Can you use soya sauce instead of salt (A friend can't eat salt, but soya is o.k. for some reason).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

maybe not zero salt but a very small amount!

zero sugar! im not allowed any sugar in my diet!

i like onions, broccoli, carrots, turnip sometimes, sweetcorn, peas, parsnip, potatoes, peppers, chillies

i hate courgettes, avacados and cucumbers!
    Who siad you are allowed zero sugar? is this a medical thing or soem diet you are following.
    A number of the veggies to you mentioned ahve sugar in them
    Dinkie wrote: »
    Can you use soya sauce instead of salt (A friend can't eat salt, but soya is o.k. for some reason).

What do you mean soy sauce is fine? In what regard.
    Soy sauce if pretty high in salt/sodium

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

as said most of those have natural sugar in them which is ok compared to processed sugars, i would roast all the veg you like with some rosemary & olive oil and a tiny amount of celery seeds replacing salt, make a small amount of tomato sauce using one can of organic chopped tomatoes, basil, onion, garlic and a little dash of balsamic vinegar at the end, bind the roasted vegetables in the sauce and leave to cool, grill the chicken with some olive oil and lemon juice, buy some readt to roll puff pastry, chop the chicken into the sauce/veg roll out the pastry and spoon veg/chicken mix into center, wrap the pastry up and egg wash and bake until golden, usually 20 mins at 220c.

sounds long but all in all should only take you 40 mins to make a batch of four or five and you can freeze the rest and eat when suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

I seen this and thought it sounded disgusting until I tried it one night and got a surprise as it wasn't that bad, the man in the video is using all packet ingredients but you can fry off fresh onions and chicken fillets as per normal stir frying, also different spices and veg, ie peppers chilis etc can be added to give it a different dimension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Thanks for all your replies! i will try out all of what you suggested...although the diet coke chicken sounds dodgy hahaha

today i just roasted some veggies and mixed then in with some noodles! it was lovely!

Mellor wrote: »
    Who siad you are allowed zero sugar? is this a medical thing or soem diet you are following.
    A number of the veggies to you mentioned ahve sugar in them

its a medical thing unfortunately!

im also a small bit lactose intolerant ....i cant have much dairy without being crippled in pain! i just have such a bad reaction to dairy!!

Advertisement