Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teach yourself leaving cert?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi Guys - can you advise me?
    Is it possible to teach yourself leaving cert maths (with text books, past exam papers etc) and then enter yourself for the exam through a school next year?? I need my maths for a 3rd level course next September and the only leaving cert maths I've been able to find in the Donegal Town area is 1 night a week for 2 years! I know this course can be done in 6-9 months so I don't know why this course takes so long. Has anyone done this with any leaving cert subject or know of anyone thats done it this way? Thanks in advance :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

I would imagine if you need the course for 3rd level you probably don't have the time/energy/finances to go back and do it again if you fail this year. Would you not get grinds from someone? A friend of mine repeated her Irish this year, having left school 12 years ago, she definitely couldn't have done it without help.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nirvanaholic

scoob70 wrote: »
    Hi Guys - can you advise me?
    Is it possible to teach yourself leaving cert maths (with text books, past exam papers etc) and then enter yourself for the exam through a school next year?? I need my maths for a 3rd level course next September and the only leaving cert maths I've been able to find in the Donegal Town area is 1 night a week for 2 years! I know this course can be done in 6-9 months so I don't know why this course takes so long. Has anyone done this with any leaving cert subject or know of anyone thats done it this way? Thanks in advance :).

I agree with previous poster in that you will need to get grinds. In schools across the country, the LC maths course is covered over 18 months and not just 6-9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scoob70

Thanks for the advise. I just didn't want to have to wait 2 years before being able to apply to 3rd level and I'm 40 years old so not getting any younger :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

I think grinds are a great Idea. Maths is hard enough as it depends what level you need and what result you require for your course. Its a bit like anything if you really apply yourself it is possible.
    If I was in your position I would contact a local secondary school and ask them. They might be able to tell you if adult classes are available or come to some agreement. Many secondary schools are used for adults to sit the the leaving cert of junior with the rest of the young people. That's why its worth a shot for the sake of a phone call.

The next option is contacting your local adult education office and explain your situation and they may be able to help. I wouldn't give enquire everywhere and best of luck.

Thanks Moon for taking the time to reply :). I may be best doing the leaving cert the long way. I went to school in England so I'm still getting to grips with the Irish school system. I got a D in my GCSE maths and its been holding me back ever since. I thought it was only a 6 to 9 month course because thats what the Kilroy college says on it's website, but I realise now they are probably referring to students who want to re-sit the qualification.Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Why not try online grinds? Cheaper and more time efficient as you won't leave the house. Just a thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

For sure you can enter yourself for the math exam, all you gotta do is apply as an external candidate on the LC application form, however i'm almost certain you will need permission from a school to sit the exam there, or a registered exam hall place.

As far as teaching yourself the course, I think its pretty possible to teach yourself the course. Would you be taking higher or ordinary?

Id pick up a set of exam papers, the two revise wise books (paper 1 & paper 2), math log tables, scientific calculator, dont know if you would necassarily need a text book, though they would be handy for extra reference, i advise the newest version of text and tests, or even the cheapest one you can find. You will also need the project math text book, have you heard about project math? Because of project maths you will also need one of those mathsets. But you will have everything you need with all that, and as well as using the internet you should be fine.

I do agree with grinds though. Even an hour a week grinds would make a great difference.

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your advise. I'm going to take a good look at the syllabus and see if it's do able. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 mobile1541

taking on agricultural science, how to go about starting

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

You might not need Leaving Cert maths since you'll be applying as a mature student. You should contact the college directly and inquire about this. Why spend 1 or 2 years getting the Leaving if you don't need it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement