Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Commercial 4x4/ SUV

• 18-09-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all,

Thinking of changing the OHs car in the new year & lookin at a small jeep/SUV. She has a petrol car at the min & with the weekly milage its breaking us!
    Was hoping for something with 4x4 capability that can pull a cow box very occasionally but with fuel economy similar to a car....want jam on it too!

The Ford kuga van/landrover freelander look like options. Anybody driving similar?Any advice?

Also if we put it in my name would the full price of the vehicle be allowable against the farm for tax (we both work full time off farm & I have a car in my name already).

Thanks in advance,
    Sprouty.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

volvo xc-90, bmw x5:D celtic tiger dead and buried now

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sprouty

Ha,
    Any chance of a lend??
    Was hoping to go commercial as opposed to private so as to benefit from the tax etc..... I also mentioned the used An Post van for $1500 as an option but she didnt seem too keen on the "GREEN MACHINE" for some reason !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

..........strawberry jam.

I don't think it's possible. Best compromise might be something like a Tucson or an X-trail but still a compromise.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If you are only using a cow box very occasionally, why do you think you need a jeep? Could you not use the tractor?

Or at least if you want a jeep, don't be trying to fool yourself into thinking it's going to be more economical, because it won't be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Stay away from ffreelander i was thinking of getting one until i read plenty scare stories about them no the net.

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    If you are only using a cow box very occasionally, why do you think you need a jeep? Could you not use the tractor?

Or at least if you want a jeep, don't be trying to fool yourself into thinking it's going to be more economical, because it won't be.

Ya maybe im just trying to justify it to myself .....on the other hand have been told that the kuga is basically a focus/mondeo engine so should be only a litle harder on the juice & as i said I'd be putting the commercial version down against the farm tax as an expense which I couldnt do with a car.....

Stay away from ffreelander i was thinking of getting one until i read plenty scare stories about them no the net.

Thanks for the warning.....is the new model as bad a bag of bolts as the old yoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

A good 2 litre saloon will pull a cow box just as well if you aren't going off road. a passatt or the like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

sprouty wrote: »

Thanks for the warning.....is the new model as bad a bag of bolts as the old yoke?
    Not sure as i only looked up 00 and 01 models. The only problem with newer models is how fast they depreciate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

now while im new to the mart and farming game, i will say i was thinking this myself. but i am more the type that will be looking for a trooper or patrol or something.. 2-4K, that or, and ill need advice, a 2ltr diesel car. . . like a mondeo.. .(love them mondeos). .

what size trailers could a mondeo pull, and what size cattle could i tow? i assume its all twin wheel trailers now a day. .. and how many 500kg cattle? 2?. . hmm. .. aint got a clue. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

the best rated mondeos will pull 1800kg, so allowing 6-800 for a cow box leaves you with 1000-1200kg load capacity.

however towing capacities are staic, cattle in a trailer are not static, I'd never want to be too close to my towing limit with livestock, much less of an issue with something solid on-board.

but dont worry, farmers dont need to worry about such minor details as towing weights :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭gazahayes

You can pick up hyundai santa fe fairly right these days fairly good to pull too.

Advertisement