Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is giving a receipt required by law in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

I am asking because in certain countries , if the seller doesn't hand a receipt for literally everything ( haircuts or the smallest thing u can think of) the buyer and the seller can get a huge fine.

Here in Ireland it seems that for small things people don't bother with receipts so I wonder what's the law around it

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There is no legal requirement to give a receipt. If one is requested, it should be provided though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Only one I know of is a taxi MUST issue a receipt as per regulators instructions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Only one I know of is a taxi MUST issue a receipt as per regulators instructions

I've never got a receipt off a taxi and the one time I asked "The printer was out".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

QW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    QW

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I got a receipt from a taxi for the first time about two weeks ago. I didn't ask for it, and drunk me had no idea what the feck it was.
    Me: "...wha...whassdat?"
    Driver: "Thats your receipt."
    Me: "YOU GIVE RECEIPTS!?"
    Driver: "Yeah always have."

Didn't think it was required by law though. In general you can't have a law for it in shops, what happens if someone walks off without their receipt? You can hardly fine the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've never got a receipt off a taxi and the one time I asked "The printer was out".

Yeh heard that one a few times - rightly p's me off especially if I need to claim expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I got a receipt from a taxi for the first time about two weeks ago. I didn't ask for it, and drunk me had no idea what the feck it was.
    Me: "...wha...whassdat?"
    Driver: "Thats your receipt."
    Me: "YOU GIVE RECEIPTS!?"
    Driver: "Yeah always have."

Didn't think it was required by law though. In general you can't have a law for it in shops, what happens if someone walks off without their receipt? You can hardly fine the shop.
    The law only requires the issuing of a taxi receipt, not it's acceptance. If you don't take it when it's presented to you that's perfectly fine, so you could have the same law in shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dynamize100

bcirl03 wrote: »
    Yeh heard that one a few times - rightly p's me off especially if I need to claim expenses.

Did you know that if a Taxi driver can not provide you with a receipt you do not have to pay him?

I use to have to travel in Taxis a lot in Dublin for work and obviously needed a receipt if I wanted to get the money refunded to me as a company expense. So for me, each receipt was worth the price printed on it. If the Taxi driver could not provide me with a receipt I would inform the driver that I could not pay them.

You will be surprised at how many receipts printers suddenly start working, or how many drivers have a stamped receipt book in the glove box that they can use to provide you with a written receipt if they think the price of their fare is dependant on it.

If a taxi driver is not providing receipts he is more than lightly not declaring your fare to the tax man and is therefore committing tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

j4vier wrote: »
    I am asking because in certain countries , if the seller doesn't hand a receipt for literally everything ( haircuts or the smallest thing u can think of) the buyer and the seller can get a huge fine.

Here in Ireland it seems that for small things people don't bother with receipts so I wonder what's the law around it

thanks
    I think that shops have to provide a receipt if asked for but they aren't always asked for so no point printing a receipt for a penny sweet that the customer doesn't want anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

we have lots of small transactions, for example 20c sweets or 30c sweets etc.

we generally don't give out receipts but always will if we are asked.
    as well as cost of the rolls (we have two rolls running at a time), it's such a waste of paper to give out a receipt for every single transaction.

several times a day I would randomly ask a customer if they wanted their receipt and 99% will say no anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

My local Londis doesn't give out receipts automatically, you have to ask, it's a fair sized shop, it's a bit embarrasing asking - I think they should provide them automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

vicwatson wrote: »
    My local Londis doesn't give out receipts automatically, you have to ask, it's a fair sized shop, it's a bit embarrasing asking - I think they should provide them automatically.

Jesus yet another one inheriting the Earth. An Earth without any trees though.

Some contracts attract what are known as 'formalities' the majority of things you buy in a shop wouldn't.

In the shop I work in we automatically print receipts. 80% of people don't want them, and of that 80%, about half of them actually act offended by being given a receipt. I had one man drop all his change on the ground once because he was so desperately trying to avoid me putting the receipt in his hand. People can be really snarky about getting them, so even though they always print, a lot of the time we throw them straight in the bin to stop customers complaining.

We get through about two full bin bags of receipts only on an average day. It's an awful waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They are saving paper. Why should they provide them automatically to a hefty percentage of their customers who don't want them and are just going to throw them out or leave them on the counter? People buying chicken fillet rolls or a magazine and drink aren't going to want them.

I've heard several times that a receipt must be provided if asked by law. No law exists that they must be produced automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

You'd want to have serious confidence issues to be embarrassed about asking for a receipt. Personally, I hate getting a receipt handed to me in most places, especially when buying food, which is going to be eaten right away, like at a spar, or londis deli. It's a waste of paper. If I need a receipt, I ask. If I don't need one and I get one, it's straight into the bin.

I hate the notes and coins together - always takes me ages to get it all back in the wallet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

In Portugal they have a department in their version of revenue whose job is like a receipt police force. I've been stopped by them twice in the last few years coming out of a shop in the local town & asked to produce my receipt. I asked one of the neighbours about it the first time it happened they said if the shop doesn't give me a receipt they get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Interesting. Not once has a taxi driver ever given me a receipt.
    I probably get about 3 or 4 taxis each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dynamize100

quaalude wrote: »
    Interesting. Not once has a taxi driver ever given me a receipt.
    I probably get about 3 or 4 taxis each month.

Suppliers (of small or instantly consumable products) usually don't supply a receipt unless asked which I think is fair, as stated here several times already, most people don't want a receipt so why not only print them for the people that want them.

So that said how often have you asked a taxi driver for a receipt?
    Try it next time your in a taxi. He/she will provide you with a receipt, if he/she doesn't inform him/her that you will not be paying without a receipt and you will get one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    In Portugal they have a department in their version of revenue whose job is like a receipt police force. I've been stopped by them twice in the last few years coming out of a shop in the local town & asked to produce my receipt. I asked one of the neighbours about it the first time it happened they said if the shop doesn't give me a receipt they get a fine.

Huh. I got stopped coming out of a supermarket (in Ireland) a few months back by a woman with a clipboard asking could she see my receipt. I looked at her like she was insane, said no, and walked on. I assumed she was some random nutter. Maybe she was the receipts police.

Thoie wrote: »
    Huh. I got stopped coming out of a supermarket (in Ireland) a few months back by a woman with a clipboard asking could she see my receipt. I looked at her like she was insane, said no, and walked on. I assumed she was some random nutter. Maybe she was the receipts police.

nope - pricewatch people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I bet her job would be way easier if she introduced herself and explained what she's doing rather than accosting strange women in supermarket carparks and just asking for their receipts.

Thoie wrote: »
    I bet her job would be way easier if she introduced herself and explained what she's doing rather than accosting strange women in supermarket carparks and just asking for their receipts.

They need hundreds of the things. I'm not sure the employee walking up to people saying:

Good Morning! How are you today? I'm collecting receipts for XYZ this proces...

Would last very long... or be any less strange... mores the pity in today's society.

Advertisement