Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2m in Dublin area - activity ?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Can someone please tell me(and others) if there is any 144/145MHz activity in the Dublin area anymore ?

And while I'm asking, is there any 70cm activity anymore ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ancl

I haven't heard much on 2M simplex around Dublin since moving here at the start of the year, had a couple of QSOs on the repeaters on 145.7625 and 70cm ( 433.225 ? ) but apart from that it seems pretty dead as a band.

I'm still waiting replies to my CQs on 145.500 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

Activity on 2m around Dublin seems to be at an all-time low unfortunately. There is a net on 145.400 in Louth which is very active.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

brownmini wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me(and others) if there is any 144/145MHz activity in the Dublin area anymore ?

And while I'm asking, is there any 70cm activity anymore ?

Thanks to the two who did reply and the 190 others who read it :)

I've not listened continually but when I do listen to 2m in Dublin, it is dead quiet.

And now my next question, is there any point on putting a 9 el tonna back
    up and having a go at 144 SSB/CW DX or has VHF activity in other
    countries been killed-off too - thereby making any aerial activity a waste
    of time ?

And now my next question, is there any point on putting a 9 el tonna back up and having a go at 144 SSB/CW DX or has VHF activity in other countries been killed-off too - thereby making any aerial activity a waste of time ?
    Well if you have the antenna and radio already then give it a go, though I suspect people only come on when there is a lift on or with pre-arranged skeds. Im toying with the same idea but /P up on high ground

My experience of 2M SSB when living in the Netherlands was 144.300 was very quiet except for the odd CQ from DL and G.

Personally I think the days where 2M was busy on SSB are long gone since its alot easier to get on HF nowadays, as I heard the other night 20 is where it is man !! :(

73 Andy EI3KF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i lived in dublin for a year and never heard a sole simplex, i also lived in carlow for nearly 3 years never heard a single person on a repeater or simplex from carlow, i also travelled alot of southern ireland with my job and found 2m activity is very poor, im lucky to be living near the border were 2m is still very active with alot of nets, most of the sctivity is from GI stations, we run a net on S17 were most nights at least 4 of us from north and south do be on, we have also taken to 2m ssb (vertical) as of late due to QRM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When I was in Dublin it was rare even for Repeater to have locals. More often it was someone in Wales.

I had more contacts with a CB whip bolted to balcony and 2W on 80m and 40m doing PSK31 to Europe mainland.

Much more 2m activity in Limerick, Dundalk, Waterford, Cork. Of an evening in Dundalk I'd often get someone from the Mobile in the car. I spent about a year with frequent overnights in Dundalk, same again in Dublin and then an Apartment near Blanchardstown for a year.

Not much 2M SSB nationally though. Cork, Devon & Cornwal would be the most common 2M SSB for me in Limerick.

There are keen Radio folk in Dublin (I even know some of them). But perhaps they are not on 2M much.

I think 2m FM is much much less active than 5 to 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

ancl wrote: »
    Personally I think the days where 2M was busy on SSB are long gone since

I had already started to think that and the replies I'm getting so far are
    pushing me further up towards the buffers on this.
    One of the rallies I was at earlier in the year in EI, one trader that used to
    always have a selection of yagis for 2m, hadn\t any with him at all.
    ( I asked him).

ancl wrote: »
    as I heard the other night 20 is where it is man !! frown.gif

The only answer to that is "ten-four good bud''

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

I was in Drogheda over the weekend and heard the 145.400 net now and again. Could only hear 1 operator as I was using a handheld and a rubber duckie.

Is 145.600 offline? Can't seem to open it. I remember around 1998 - 2002 (give or take) 2M Dublin was very active. Granted, the topic was nearly always about the gridlock on the M50 so was very "exciting". Two GW stations called in too for a chat...

I also remember a Dublin Bus driver operating "mobile". You could hear the rattle of the perspex panels in the background LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 EI8GHB

145.600 "Three Rock" has been off the air for two years now, but the word is that it will be repaired and reinstated over the next couple of months!!

Don't forget Kippure which is Dublin's second repeater on 145.7625.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Cheers... I tested 145.7625 recently with success.

• Advertisement

humaxf1 wrote: »
    I also remember a Dublin Bus driver operating "mobile". You could hear the rattle of the perspex panels in the background LOL.

Slightly off-topc, we used to have a taxi driver on the local 70cm repeater when I lived in G land having sing-songs with his customers in the back of his cab over the repeater. /sigh

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

deaglan169 wrote: »
    we run a net on S17 were most nights at least 4 of us from north and south do be on, we have also taken to 2m ssb (vertical) as of late due to QRM

Where on SSB are you, I'll call in sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

144.200 most nights from 21.30 on, have beam also so i can use it but we mostly just use vertical

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

deaglan169 wrote: »
    144.200 most nights from 21.30 on, have beam also so i can use it but we mostly just use vertical

Will definitely call in if I can hear any of you, I'm in south Meath but have good coverage to the north. No beam here, only vertical.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Due to antenna restrictions and a lot of noise on HF locally Im on echolink a lot of the time, one suggestion is whoever is in charge of the Dublin repeater is to consider allowing a gateway from echolink onto it or even onto the Kippure one. Might add a little traffic onto it and keep it alive. anyway thats my 2c worth-#
    73s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pauldublinrock

I suggest you listen on 145.525 mhz (2 metre band) at 11.45 to 12.30 any Sunday morning and you will hear 9 or 10 amateurs chatting away in the Dublin area. They welcome reception reports from about mid day onwards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Ive noticed EI2MOG has been in confrence for about two months now used to love this as a lot of US guys would be on to "the old country"

Advertisement