Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled To Anything?? Not straightforward situation

• 18-09-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭

Ive a feeling the answer is going to be no, but i figured I would ask the question anyway.

Background
    On the 24th of December 2010 I became unemployed, by January 1st I had set up my own business with my partner who was employed elsewhere at the time with the hope that a few months down the line he would be in a position to work there full time, in February I was offered a job and took it simply because I wasn't sure if it the business would work or not and didn't want to end up in a worse situation so that was fine business stayed open and I worked both at the new job and at the business every hour I wasn't working for the other. In August my partner was let go from his employment and went and worked in the business full time. As a result he cannot claim any social welfare payments as he is "not available for work" the business isn't currently making money but we are not loosing money and want to give it a bit more time before calling it a day. At the moment the only money we have is from my job which is about 480 a week i know this does seem like a lot of money but when you start taking the bills out it really isn't.

No money is being taken from the business (because its not there to take). In a month with 4 weeks we have 260pw each and in a month with 5 weeks we have 209pw each. our bills alone are roughly 1300 a month(none of which can be reduced) not including food, esb, heating oil, paying for petrol to get into work. He works 48 hours a week in the business and between my job and the business I am working 53 hours. We have found our bills and food are covered but its a situation where first off there is no oil in the tank and we can't afford to pay out 300 or so euro to put some in similarly if one of us had to go to the doctor in the morning it simply wouldn't be an option. Plan for the winter is fire lit and get an electric blanket for bed.

I have no interest in scamming the government in any shape or form even though we have been told to do it by so many people, its just not something i would consider.

Anybody any ideas if there is anything we are entitled to?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Im sorry, i cant think of anything. I hope someone else can. Its tough.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can't think of anything either from social welfare. You may qualify for a GP Visit card based on your outgoings.

Have you considered contacting your local county enterprise board? They may have someone who has come across the situation you find yourself in and be able to advise of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Ive a feeling the answer is going to be no, but i figured I would ask the question anyway.

Background
    On the 24th of December 2010 I became unemployed, by January 1st I had set up my own business with my partner who was employed elsewhere at the time with the hope that a few months down the line he would be in a position to work there full time, in February I was offered a job and took it simply because I wasn't sure if it the business would work or not and didn't want to end up in a worse situation so that was fine business stayed open and I worked both at the new job and at the business every hour I wasn't working for the other. In August my partner was let go from his employment and went and worked in the business full time. As a result he cannot claim any social welfare payments as he is "not available for work" the business isn't currently making money but we are not loosing money and want to give it a bit more time before calling it a day. At the moment the only money we have is from my job which is about 480 a week i know this does seem like a lot of money but when you start taking the bills out it really isn't.

No money is being taken from the business (because its not there to take). In a month with 4 weeks we have 260pw each and in a month with 5 weeks we have 209pw each. our bills alone are roughly 1300 a month(none of which can be reduced) not including food, esb, heating oil, paying for petrol to get into work. He works 48 hours a week in the business and between my job and the business I am working 53 hours. We have found our bills and food are covered but its a situation where first off there is no oil in the tank and we can't afford to pay out 300 or so euro to put some in similarly if one of us had to go to the doctor in the morning it simply wouldn't be an option. Plan for the winter is fire lit and get an electric blanket for bed.

I have no interest in scamming the government in any shape or form even though we have been told to do it by so many people, its just not something i would consider.

Anybody any ideas if there is anything we are entitled to?

You do not mention, do you have children, if you do FIS may be an option.

Also as another poster says approach enterprise board.

Also there is a difference between a start up not making money and one that will never make money. If you believe it is going to do ok long run, make sure you pay full PRSI for your husband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

I do believe it will work, each month has been getting better and better we started off in a small office in a business park back in january and there in July we moved into a shop in the town centre, location has proved a bit of an issue but its been getting better each month. Not married and no children.

Spoke to the enterprise board on numerious occasions even to see if there is an employment grant seeing as i know other businesses have gotten it and was told that unless its in export and manufacturing its a no.

Its just frustrating that we are doing everything right, even trying to create jobs for ourselves when there is none and for others and its like this. Just tried to apply for a medical card there online but seeing as I applied previously in January can't do it again online.

Think I will pop into citizens information tomrrow and see if they know of anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Curious to know if your situation has improved OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

Unfortunately not. Attempting to sell both cars and get a cheaper one so that things will be better for a while, had a call and all today but never followed up for a visit :( oh well we will get there eventually.

Advertisement