Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can external bell be disconnected?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

We have an Aritech CS350 alarm in our house that we set at night or if on holidays. For the last year or so it's been going off at 2 or 3 in the morning regularly. It's always the same code which is for a garage/utility room single story extension on the side of house. We've had the engineer back several times and he can't find anything wrong. He put it on what he called "sleep" mode where it would activate silently but after 2 weeks it showed no error.

It's a nuisance because we are in an estate and can't be having the alarm waking the place in the middle of the night so we've stopped using it. Can we get the external bell changed to strobe only & just have the internal bell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

I think you are right to disconnect it, not alone are you annoying your neighbours you are advertising the fact that you are not home.
    There is probably faulty sensor that your alarm guy should replace but I think the internal alarm is sufficient anyway.

If you want to disconnect completely you can do this from alarm panel but if you want strobe only you will need to get to the outside box, it is as simple as disconnecting one or both wires from the siren in the box, it is 12vdc so you don't need to worry about getting shocked. If you are not used to this type of work I would pay someone to do it, a fall off a ladder is no joke.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I think you should get someone else to look at this. If this engineer has been at this a few times he really should have had the problem isolated by now. The zone is on soak test, not sleep mode..
    I would not recommend these zones left disabled they are all ground floor & accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

mrbig wrote: »
    I think you are right to disconnect it, not alone are you annoying your neighbours you are advertising the fact that you are not home.
    There is probably faulty sensor that your alarm guy should replace but I think the internal alarm is sufficient anyway.

If you want to disconnect completely you can do this from alarm panel but if you want strobe only you will need to get to the outside box, it is as simple as disconnecting one or both wires from the siren in the box, it is 12vdc so you don't need to worry about getting shocked. If you are not used to this type of work I would pay someone to do it, a fall off a ladder is no joke.

Why do you think if he wants strobe only, does he have to go to the bell box?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mrbig

kub wrote: »
    Why do you think if he wants strobe only, does he have to go to the bell box?

That's what he says,

I agree he should get this checked out by another engineer as the fault should have been isolated, if the sensor is suspect just change it out.

I still agree with the idea of strobe only externally, thieves can activate an alarm and run away only to return knowing there is no one home if the alarm is still going some time later. You bet the Garda won't keep coming back to a false alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Its a bit of an extreme measure disconnecting the bell. why not find the problem , get it repaired & have a fully working alarm.
    I agree sometimes a fault can be intermittent & may not be obvious on the first call , but a process of elimination will always find it.
    Putting on soak test alone is just the lazy way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Wyldwood wrote: »
    We have an Aritech CS350 alarm in our house that we set at night or if on holidays. For the last year or so it's been going off at 2 or 3 in the morning regularly. It's always the same code which is for a garage/utility room single story extension on the side of house. We've had the engineer back several times and he can't find anything wrong. He put it on what he called "sleep" mode where it would activate silently but after 2 weeks it showed no error.

It's a nuisance because we are in an estate and can't be having the alarm waking the place in the middle of the night so we've stopped using it. Can we get the external bell changed to strobe only & just have the internal bell?

I would also recommend getting someone else to have a look at this for you. If you decided to disconnect the outside bell then connect the 12v off the panel to the external bell connections making sure the polarity is connected correctly, it will keep the lights on the bell active till you get to the problem that is activating the alarm system fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I would also recommend getting someone else to have a look at this for you. If you decided to disconnect the outside bell then connect the 12v off the panel to the external bell connections making sure the polarity is connected correctly, it will keep the lights on the bell active till you get to the problem that is activating the alarm system fixed.[/Quote]

+1. Get it checked again, an external bell is more important then you think :) hope you can get it fixed. If not theres a few lads on this that would be more then happy enough to explain how to find the fault yourself :) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I'd suggest getting it checked by a competent, licensed technician.
    Make sure that you're not getting a discount on your insurance, could void any claim you may have in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Thanks for all the useful advice. I think we need to get another security company to have a look. Need alarm working with long dark nights ahead. Can anyone recommend someone in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

ADA are a good company who cover Cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement