Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lough (Lake) Boat Trailer

Options
  • 18-09-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

So all the talk lately of boat trailers has got me thinking about my own need for a trailer. The need is for moving traditional lough boats typically ranging from 16 to 19 feet in length.
    I've made a few enquiries and most trailer manufacturers/resellers are only making/selling trailers for dinghy's and powerboats (shorter), or much larger and heavier sail craft (overbuilt for my needs and far too expensive).
    I know there are lots of lough boat owners knocking around the boards and I'd love to get some opinions on whether to custom build or commission a one-off? with all the talk recently of new regulations I took the liberty of ringing the RSA and consequently the NSAI (National Standards Authority of Ireland). The RSA were helpful and let me know that any existing trailer will be capable of getting Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) from the NSAI and gave me a number to call at NSAI for further details. Unfortunately, NSAI have not returned my call to date (well over a week at this stage) so I can't provide any further clarity. In short though, there appears to be no reason to not construct a quality trailer and have it tested and plated (by people as yet unidentified) at some point before September 2012 when this approval requirement is due to come in to force.
    So... make or buy?
    All opinions welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can get one built and tested but I still think you would be better off and save a few quid buying something like this and adding on extra rollers or bunks if you need them. http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/boats/2514788

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

That's been my thinking all along, but before taking the plunge was just wondering what other's thought.
    The talk of failing wheel bearings of late has made me long for the thought of owning from new and keeping it in tip-top condition (assuming a lottery win :)).
    Incidentally Fergal, do you source your trailer spares here or abroad?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I get them from http://www.indespension.co.uk/b2c/jsp/ireland.jsp in Dublin, my bearings are checked and greased before every trip as I do a lot of miles and I also let them cool down before they go in the water, I was forced into a few potholes on the way home so i'd say that is why it failed also I was running late to pick up my son and you know what Murphy's law is like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭cmac

I am indeed quite familiar with that particular law:)
    Sorry to hear you had such grief on the way home though. Especially after being so careful with your preparations.

Advertisement