Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

virginia pumkin festival

Options
  • 18-09-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

the water boys are coming:)the october bank holliday weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Never been there for the night time stuff, may go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bigted2

for more info visit www.virginiapumpkinfestival.ie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

I did the same last year I left before Imelda May, but this year I'm heading out for the night time fun, anyone else dressing up?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thinking about heading to this from dublin.

just wondering about the parking situation and traffic jams - will there be any?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Whovian

irishbird wrote: »
    thinking about heading to this from dublin.

just wondering about the parking situation and traffic jams - will there be any?

thanks

if you think of virginia town as one long street, imagine leeson street alone as a town. Traffic Jams a plenty, but there should be good parking going on the past 2 years :)

also buses from dublin from cavan and back every hour, if you wanna spare the hassel of driving :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Plenty of parking. The earlier you get there the closer the parking, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

No problem with parking. The whole town is closed off to cars so you just park on the outskirts, either on the road or in a GAA club I think. Ten minute walk tops. A bit of a jam heading last year but no problems after.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

brilliant thanks guys.:)

I hope we get the weather for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bigted2

bigted2 wrote: »
    for more info visit www.virginiapumpkinfestival.ie :)
    also check out www.virginia.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I was driving down to Cavan last year on the Saturday evening and spent 30-45 minutes getting through Virginia. Crazy that it took as long to traverse the town as it did to get from Dublin to the outskirts and there were no signs indicating this along the N3 (I'd have gone to Cavan via Mullingar if I'd known but I presume there's a way of getting around Virginia too).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Bit of a write-up on the BBC website about this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15510056

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Went up Sunday. Great success. Much better now that the parade and fireworks are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Going from Ballyjamesduff to Virgina was a nightmare on Sunday lunchtime. Going down the Virginia Road i thought I would have been able to take the right turn just before the bridge (Oldcastle Road) but I was directed up this tiny road that brought me to the N3. From there I had to basically drove across the N3 and up this tiny laneway and then for the next half hour (even though the security guy told me it was only a 5 minute diversion) I was driving along really narrow roads with huge potholes. Eventually we came out on the N3 just past the HSE building on the outskirts of Virginia.

It was just as bad coming back that evening (7pm), though I ended up (eventually) coming out at the beginning of the Oldcastle road (the bridge just after Virginia if you take the Virginia road to Ballyjamesduff).

BTW was it true that it was €30 to see The Waterboys at the festival the other night?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

gazzer wrote: »
    Going from Ballyjamesduff to Virgina was a nightmare on Sunday lunchtime. Going down the Virginia Road i thought I would have been able to take the right turn just before the bridge (Oldcastle Road) but I was directed up this tiny road that brought me to the N3. From there I had to basically drove across the N3 and up this tiny laneway and then for the next half hour (even though the security guy told me it was only a 5 minute diversion) I was driving along really narrow roads with huge potholes. Eventually we came out on the N3 just past the HSE building on the outskirts of Virginia.

It was just as bad coming back that evening (7pm), though I ended up (eventually) coming out at the beginning of the Oldcastle road (the bridge just after Virginia if you take the Virginia road to Ballyjamesduff).

BTW was it true that it was €30 to see The Waterboys at the festival the other night?

They tried that with me to but I refused and went the Oldcastle Road. I was going to Carnaross.

I think they were doing it because they wanted to send traffic coming from Cavan-Dublin direction around Killinkere way and the traffic coming from Dublin-Cavan around Oldcastle/Ballyjamesduff way to try and avoid traffic meeting on the smaller roads.

No way was I adding ten of fifteen minutes to my journey though.

Advertisement