Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question of ethics adn snobbery

• 18-09-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi members of boards.ie, I'd appreciate any of your opinions on the following situation.

I am thinking of moving out of family home. I have tried applying for lots of jobs, but I got a similar amount of rejection letters and failed interviews. However, I'm working part-time with a start-up company. I want to move out because I want some peace and quiet, so I could produce better work for that start-up.

I'm clearly not getting enough for what I'm doing with the start-up, but it's understandable. I have no other option but to claim job seeker's allowance, If I'm to pay my own bills. I have recently graduated, so that's why I'm eligible for job seeker's benefit.

My problem is, that I feel really bad about sponging off benefits to fund my work with a start-up, which either may or may not result in success. Do you think it's OK to get job seeker's benefit just because I want to move out to Dublin area and work with a start up that doesn't really have a guaranteed success? Do you think moving out for these reasons is just plain snobbery that won't be tolerated by the Social Welfare?

I'd love to get your opinions on this. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Will you be in receipt of a wage from this start-up?

You will need to go have a chat with your local Dept of Social Affairs to see what you are entitled to. They are the only ones who can assess your income and situation.

Advertisement