Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NewBeefFarmer Bought 3 Bullocks

• 18-09-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Well, got up on the usual saturday morning, only wishing it was a week day :rolleyes:. . ah no, i hate the office.

Got in to me smelly clothes and hit off again for the mart.

1. as pointing out in my last post by someone (thanks) a walk around the mart for 30 mins to an hr certainly helps a lot. i notice yesterday how important to see the cattle up close, and on ground level.. .
    2. i took some lot numbers down. . (oh by the way, im also testing my self on cattle weights. trying to pin point the weight of the animal.
    3. i was looking for rare cattle (380-430) Kgs. not many around. as like other days, 100s in the 550-800kg region.
    4. I was in the ring for the first bullock yesterday morning, and I checked weights/dates etc and was right for me. . but i said, hold on u dont just jump in. . . but u know what, should have, as the price was better than what i paid for them, id say this was due to the fact that there wasnt as many farmers in the mart as there was later on in the day.
    5. I want 3-4 to start with, im not looking to make money, im not looking to throw everything i have in to it, what i want is to learn. and ive already picked up on a few things. .
    6. seen lovely ginger ones come out, lovely weight/dates etc. . nice tidy quiet/strong looking animals. but didnt bid.
    7. I always thought that black cattle were nice, and is what i would have worked with in the past. and lonebehold, in comes 3 bullocks together, very very queit. averaging 420kgs. dont worry, im well aware of the tactics of 2 carrying the 3rd, or even 1 carrying the 2. .but i refuse to think like that on my first purchase. ill learn more from here in the future regarding buying 2s and 3s.
    8. I even brought them home myself and i have them in the shed, bit of hay, and water, ill keep them in now for a few days.
    9. I have a section fenced already for them, so maybe tuesday i might let them out, but ive already had people saying "there very queit". .

funny thing, when i pulled up at the shed with the trailer (3 together) i had to organise a few things first. . . and guess what, i had to go and look in the trailer to see if there were there and alive. . . not a sound or a move out of them for 10 mins. . lol. .

lads, big thanks to all of ye who helped me out.. .
    i am tired now and the man utd chel game on now, so for now. .

big thank yous.
    NBF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Well, got up on the usual saturday morning, only wishing it was a week day :rolleyes:. . ah no, i hate the office.

Got in to me smelly clothes and hit off again for the mart.

1. as pointing out in my last post by someone (thanks) a walk around the mart for 30 mins to an hr certainly helps a lot. i notice yesterday how important to see the cattle up close, and on ground level.. .
    2. i took some lot numbers down. . (oh by the way, im also testing my self on cattle weights. trying to pin point the weight of the animal.
    3. i was looking for rare cattle (380-430) Kgs. not many around. as like other days, 100s in the 550-800kg region.
    4. I was in the ring for the first bullock yesterday morning, and I checked weights/dates etc and was right for me. . but i said, hold on u dont just jump in. . . but u know what, should have, as the price was better than what i paid for them, id say this was due to the fact that there wasnt as many farmers in the mart as there was later on in the day.
    5. I want 3-4 to start with, im not looking to make money, im not looking to throw everything i have in to it, what i want is to learn. and ive already picked up on a few things. .
    6. seen lovely ginger ones come out, lovely weight/dates etc. . nice tidy quiet/strong looking animals. but didnt bid.
    7. I always thought that black cattle were nice, and is what i would have worked with in the past. and lonebehold, in comes 3 bullocks together, very very queit. averaging 420kgs. dont worry, im well aware of the tactics of 2 carrying the 3rd, or even 1 carrying the 2. .but i refuse to think like that on my first purchase. ill learn more from here in the future regarding buying 2s and 3s.
    8. I even brought them home myself and i have them in the shed, bit of hay, and water, ill keep them in now for a few days.
    9. I have a section fenced already for them, so maybe tuesday i might let them out, but ive already had people saying "there very queit". .

funny thing, when i pulled up at the shed with the trailer (3 together) i had to organise a few things first. . . and guess what, i had to go and look in the trailer to see if there were there and alive. . . not a sound or a move out of them for 10 mins. . lol. .

lads, big thanks to all of ye who helped me out.. .
    i am tired now and the man utd chel game on now, so for now. .

big thank yous.
    NBF

Well done! Hope they work out well for you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

ya best of luck with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

let them off out to grass what they are used to as they wont be as stressed. by the sounds of it theyre dead quite and will be no bother. BTW how much did you pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Best of luck with them. It's a great buzz, the first time you buy.
    In no time at all, you'll be complaining about prices, like a real farmer.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

i find myself already bulling with myself, i seen cattle yesterday (type i wanted going from 800 to 1000), i was left with 900 a peice.
    born 5/2010.

My strategy next time though is early bird catches the worm. . .(saying that, i was an early bird yesterday. . . a green bird. . worms everywhere in the first few lots. . . ) oooohhh if i had my opportunity again. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

oh hey, meant to ask, . . . a bullock.. at 320/350kgs . . . what am i getting myself in for. . . people close to me, , , while the older generation, tells me, hes too light of bullocks, , , ull have sickness/ coughing etc. . .. not much difference in my 420 kg ones. ..

its just that i seen a few nice ones, and while im happy with my lot, buying those lighter ones could have saved me a heavier outlay, especially when im new to this. (was thinking yesterday at the ring i wonder could i take out my smartphone post the question on boards and wait for reply. . hee hee.. . :-) .

any thoughts lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

any thoughts lads

A bullock that light would be of ill thrive & quality, may not have been wormed & dosed properly previous to purchase.

And watch that lads quote...... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

great news NBF, best of luck with them.

get some pics up.

Advertisement