Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on this property

Options
  • 18-09-2011 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

I'm a first time buyer, find this property on Daft today, reduced from 325K to 260K, any advice that 260K is a reasonable asking price? Does anyone know this area? More info is welcomed!
    Thanks guys!
    http://www.daft.ie/1583175

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

you2008 wrote: »
    I'm a first time buyer, find this property on Daft today, reduced from 325K to 260K, any advice the house in value? Does anyone know this area? More info is welcomed!
    Thanks guys!

What do you mean by Value?
    Does the house and location suit your needs now and into the foreseeable future?
    Can you afford the mortgage in your current situation?
    Can you afford the mortgage in should rates rise/you lose your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

kippy wrote: »
    What do you mean by Value?
    Does the house and location suit your needs now and into the foreseeable future?
    Can you afford the mortgage in your current situation?
    Can you afford the mortgage in should rates rise/you lose your job?

working in town, I don’t mind travel a bit as there is a luas stop, not sure about the job security, ( who knows these days), planning to take small amount mortgage as have some saving myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

you2008 wrote: »
    I'm a first time buyer, find this property on Daft today, reduced from 325K to 260K, any advice that 260K is a reasonable asking price? Does anyone know this area? More info is welcomed!
    Thanks guys!

My own measure of value at the moment is in the region of Allsop auction pricing (which lies at around 70% below peak on average). That's what houses are selling for afterall.

That would require that this house went for 860k at peak which it never would have.

It's a shoebox of a 4 bed tbh. In floor area it's really only that of an average 3 bed which would put it's peak price at perhaps 550? Which makes it's current ask about 50% of peak. Which isn't bargain territory by a long shot.

Personally, I'd live in anything but a shoebox (cop the shuffle-room between the bed and the wardrobe doors in the master bedroom). Better a house with less bedrooms and toilets but which is designed so that you can swing a cat around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

forgeting about "value", I would not recommend the area, from what I've seen and heard, Ballyogan estate is not a great place to live.
    similar sized properties can be gotten in much nicer areas for a similar price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Go past this area twice a day on the Luas, some of the locals obviously get on and off so can offer an anecdotal viewpoint; not a great area! Big council estate immediately adjacent, some of the residents like chucking rocks through the windows of the passing Luas, fun for all concerned.

Personally, if I ever find myself living there I'm putting my hands up and admitting I've made some wrong moves and lost the game of life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

ionapaul wrote: »
    Go past this area twice a day on the Luas, some of the locals obviously get on and off so can offer an anecdotal viewpoint; not a great area! Big council estate immediately adjacent, some of the residents like chucking rocks through the windows of the passing Luas, fun for all concerned.

Personally, if I ever find myself living there I'm putting my hands up and admitting I've made some wrong moves and lost the game of life...

big thanks for that info

Advertisement