Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External PTO switch on a NH Ts115

• 18-09-2011 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Has anyone here ever installed a second pto switch on the rear fender or know how i might go about it? I have seen it done before but just wondering is it hard to do or would i be better off getting a mechanic to do it? The extra switch saves a lot of jumping on and off the tractor, especially when using the tanker. Thanks for yer replies in advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Has anybody even heard of this being done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

JOAT wrote: »
    Has anybody even heard of this being done??

not on new holland particularly but dont think its a big deal, for example my kubota just has a push button like alot of tractors to turn on pto and the dealer told me they can literally fit the same button onto the back of the mudguard, like yourself i thought it would be handy for slurry but i never got around to doing it, think it was a bit sausy anyway, somethng like 250 euro if i remember correctly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

On my T5050 there's a pto button on both of the rear fenders. I presume that because the pto is electronically controlled, its simply a case of you buying an external switch for your tractor and wiring it up. Best check with your NH dealer though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JOAT

Thanks for that. seems pretty costly alright. The thing I am sort of cautious about I suppose is the wiring of it. As in connecting it to the other switch so that both switches can be used simultaneously when needed. I would say that it wouldn't be very difficult but just wondering does anyone have any tips for doing it? or maybe someone with some electrical knowledge might have an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I imagine you'd wire it like a two-way light switch. With the top left arrangement, you can't mark the switches on/off as it will change depending on the other switch. The lower one shown is better and safer because 'on' will always be on, if that makes sense.

electrics:lighting:two_way_lighting:2way_scheme_v2.jpg?cache=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

I was considering installing a similar switch recently but was advised against it by my Silage contractor. He reckoned that you are putting the PTO clutch under alot of pressure when you stop the PTO with high revs running, it made sense to me. He has them on all his tractors but would rarely use them. My main use would be for the slurry tanker which would always have high revs when disenganging from the outside, it was enough to discurage me - for now at least.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

JCB1 wrote: »
    I was considering installing a similar switch recently but was advised against it by my Silage contractor. He reckoned that you are putting the PTO clutch under alot of pressure when you stop the PTO with high revs running, it made sense to me. He has them on all his tractors but would rarely use them. My main use would be for the slurry tanker which would always have high revs when disenganging from the outside, it was enough to discurage me - for now at least.

I don't know about this, The pto is engaged by diverting oil through the centre of the pto clutch pack. It would be no worse than engaging it form the cab, and any of the tractors I've worked with engage the pto softly...Although the tractor was only revved to about 1200 at slurry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wainwright09

ON some tractors there is a second button in the cab you can press which allows the pto to run on until its lack of momentum stops it.I know from case tractors that if you just press the pto button to turn it off it stops instantly,which i would imagine would be hard on a lot of parts in the drivetrain.So theres a second button closeby,comes as standard i believe,which i press at the same time which allows the run-on.Maybe the instant stop is for safety.I wouldn't like to be without the run-on button though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭9935452

boss has a tm155 with the button on the mudguard.
    However his one only disengages the PTO.
    Very handy to have, however my advice is to get the maindealer to fit one the same way so it only stops the PTO for two reasons
    1 if there is any safety issue it was the maindealer who fitted it and not you
    2 You only need it to stop the PTO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Ours was fitted on the tractor from new so no idea about retro fitting.

However if you are getting it done unlike whats said above i think you should get it to turn on and off the pto. When spreading slurry we set engine revs to 1200 or whatever it is for 540 rpm, get down put on pipe and start from the mudguard switch, then switch off from there when full, remove pipe and back onto tractor.

If you only have it to turn off then you'll need to get down, put on pipe and then back up on tractor to turn on pto so only saving you half the getting up and down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Something I often considered too, I think since its really only useful for slurry, a hydraulic or electric changeover on the pump would be as useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

I could be wrong but I thought all the TS115's had a cable to activate the pto. If so this would make it very hard to make it electric.

Advertisement