Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XIM3 - i like it!

Options
  • 18-09-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

www.xim3.com

cute little device, which is just a simple adapter for mouse+keyboard for console.

there are a few videos on youtube, where people using these. Makes people nerdrage alot :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

www.xim3.com

cute little device, which is just a simple adapter for mouse+keyboard for console.

there are a few videos on youtube, where people using these. Makes people nerdrage alot :D
    With good reason too, giving yourself an unfair advantage over the competition with them being none the wiser is basically cheating. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gizmo wrote: »
    With good reason too, giving yourself an unfair advantage over the competition with them being none the wiser is basically cheating. :o

oh trust me, i dot realise that :D

i dont want to offend anyone, but this just shows how better m+k setup is!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

I watched the gameplay videos of Black Ops and though wow its really good i think ima buy one. Then i realised that im not a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is it though? Is it unfair advantage if you spend €200 on a mouse and keyboard for pc gaming? Or if you have a custom built fight pad in Street fighter? Bigger monitor/better headphones..... Like what is fair and isnt? Personally i wouldnt consider this cheating, I would never bother getting one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is it though? Is it unfair advantage if you spend €200 on a mouse and keyboard for pc gaming? Or if you have a custom built fight pad in Street fighter? Bigger monitor/better headphones..... Like what is fair and isnt? Personally i wouldnt consider this cheating, I would never bother getting one!

Advantages with an expensive kb and mouse are minimal, jumping from controller to kb & mouse is a huge step up and would let you slaughter people. Its clearly "cheating" just not in the normal sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

From experience... these things are ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Don't they have pretty bad input lag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

FPS games are much much easier on a big monitor than on a small one

You might as well say that someone is cheating in tennis if they have a better racquet. If you really care about being very competitive then get the best equipment. If you just want to play for fun then stop getting your knickers in a twist if you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Or a Pentium 3 VS i7.
    This is available to everyone.
    I spring for the best hardware that makes me a cheater or an bastard?

Or a Pentium 3 VS i7.

• Advertisement

Or a Pentium 3 VS i7.
    It's availability is irrelevant when it is a non-standard part which is not designed by the manufacturer to be used with the console and whose use cannot be detected by other players. Unreal Tournament 3 for the PS3 allowed the use of K&M for instance, but it also gave users the ability to filter out games which featured players using them.

The term "cheater" may be a bit strong in this context but you're still giving ourself an unfair advantage over other players who won't know what hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

It is cheating, simple as. At least it would be if they were any good.. i've not used this sim thing but there are controllers for the PS3 (Splitfish) that are practically the same thing minus the keyboard and sony have banned people from using them(Im sure they've updated the firmware tho). It is cheating in the same sense that having a modded controller is cheating and the reason that games have had to implement restrictions in the multiplayer games to stop people from using these modded controllers (Auto fire). Its an unfair advantage on a platform that is all about keeping the playing field level, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Advantages with an expensive kb and mouse are minimal, jumping from controller to kb & mouse is a huge step up and would let you slaughter people. Its clearly "cheating" just not in the normal sense.

Don't blame the players for using it, blame the Console company's for putting out ineffective hardware for perfect hand eye coordination. if i want to play a fps i don't want crappy hardware to affect my reaction time.

KilOit wrote: »
    Don't blame the players for using it, blame the Console company's for putting out ineffective hardware for perfect hand eye coordination. if i want to play a fps i don't want crappy hardware to affect my reaction time.

Bullshit

You don't buy a console to complain you have to use a controller, you want to play with kb and mouse play on the PC.

Either way a controller doesn't effect your reaction time, it just reduces your accuracy like every other player has to deal with. Want to be good at a console game learn to be more accurate with the controller instead of using an unfair advantage to feel better than someone else.

Want to be good at a console game learn to be more accurate with the controller instead of using an unfair advantage to feel better than someone else.

Or buy the best hardware.

I don't see the top CSS players using old IBM keyboards and rollerball mice.

Or buy the best hardware.

I don't see the top CSS players using old IBM keyboards and rollerball mice.

Mentioned this earlier, the move from a standard kb & mouse to a good one is a small step. Going to help but you're still in the same playing field. Going from controller to kb & mouse is a completely different ball game, the controller player can never over come the limits of the controller and will never be able to compete.

Mentioned this earlier, the move from a standard kb & mouse to a good one is a small step. Going to help but you're still in the same playing field. Going from controller to kb & mouse is a completely different ball game, the controller player can never over come the limits of the controller and will never be able to compete.

So don't use a controller.

Just buy this $150 device, a keyboard and a mouse. Of course :rolleyes:

You realise we're talking about a peripheral which allows you to use a keyboard and mouse, undetected, on a console which doesn't support them and in games which don't support them?

Both of these points can be made moot by the existence of the arcade fight-stick.
    Just buy this $150 device, a keyboard and a mouse. Of course :rolleyes:

Don't want to be held back by a controller? Drop up to $350 on a fight stick.
    You realise we're talking about a peripheral which allows you to use a keyboard and mouse, undetected, on a console which doesn't support them and in games which don't support them?

I doubt fighting games for the consoles were originally designed to support arcade sticks and yet here we are, where the pros use them and they are seen as the best way to play a fighting game.

• Advertisement

I doubt fighting games for the consoles were originally designed to support arcade sticks and yet here we are, where the pros use them and they are seen as the best way to play a fighting game.
    Given the lineage of fighting games in arcades and the widespread availability of licensed arcade sticks for all platforms, I'd tend to disagree.

Given the lineage of fighting games in arcades and the widespread availability of licensed arcade sticks for all platforms, I'd tend to disagree.

The NOW widespread availability.

Is it not unfair to go up against someone with a better setup in fighting games? And if not, why not?

And what about the lineage of Kb & M shooters?
    Why is it such a bad thing to try and emulate the controls on a new system?
    The exact same thing happened with fighting games.

The NOW widespread availability.

Is it not unfair to go up against someone with a better setup in fighting games? And if not, why not?
    There have been licensed arcade sticks available on consoles since the NES days :)

With regards online fighting games using an arcade stick, there are a couple of differences. For one, the other person knows you could have the stick given that it is a standard peripheral available to all. On top of that, while the stick is the better controller for such games, it doesn't mean someone with a controller couldn't beat you. Hell, I have a SFIV TE stick and I'm quite sure 90% of the Fighting Game forum lads could kick my bloody arse at MvC3 if they were forced to use a controller. On the other hand, with an FPS, a K&M combo will give even a mildly skilled player a massive advantage over someone with a controller due to the nature of the controller itself.
    And what about the lineage of Kb & M shooters?
    Why is it such a bad thing to try and emulate the controls on a new system?
    The exact same thing happened with fighting games.
    Not in the slightest, as I said above, Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 allowed you to use a K&M but it also knew when you were using one and allowed players to only enter games with players using specific controllers. As I said above, the advantage a player gets from a K&M setup over a controller is quite a bit greater than one gets from moving to an arcade stick from a controller. I am of course open to correction on that one from the guys in the FF forum. :)

There have been licensed arcade sticks available on consoles since the NES days :)

With regards online fighting games using an arcade stick, there are a couple of differences. For one, the other person knows you could have the stick given that it is a standard peripheral available to all. On top of that, while the stick is the better controller for such games, it doesn't mean someone with a controller couldn't beat you. Hell, I have a SFIV TE stick and I'm quite sure 90% of the Fighting Game forum lads could kick my bloody arse at MvC3 if they were forced to use a controller. On the other hand, with an FPS, a K&M combo will give even a mildly skilled player a massive advantage over someone with a controller due to the nature of the controller itself.

It is a big advantage, but is it unfair? And even if it is unfair, is it ok to call that person a cheater (You said its too harsh, but there are less... forgiving people on here)
    Not in the slightest, as I said above, Unreal Tournament 3 on the PS3 allowed you to use a K&M but it also knew when you were using one and allowed players to only enter games with players using specific controllers. As I said above, the advantage a player gets from a K&M setup over a controller is quite a bit greater than one gets from moving to an arcade stick from a controller. I am of course open to correction on that one from the guys in the FF forum. :)

How many games supporting this would it take for it to be ok?

CoD and UT are the only 2 I can think of that support KB & M on a console. And I'm not even sure about CoD :p

It is a big advantage, but is it unfair? And even if it is unfair, is it ok to call that person a cheater (You said its too harsh, but there are less... forgiving people on here)
    I'd most certainly regard it as unfair due to the reasons I've stated above. Is it cheating though? Well from looking around online it seems the XIM, while unlicensed, doesn't break the XBox Live or PSN Terms Of Service so there's no specific rule breaking going on. By definition, cheating is breaking a set of rules but I'm sure most people will just equate giving yourself an unfair advantage over your opponent ,in this manner and under these circumstances, as cheating anyway.
    How many games supporting this would it take for it to be ok?

CoD and UT are the only 2 I can think of that support KB & M on a console. And I'm not even sure about CoD :p
    It will never be okay (at least in my opinion) to use it without the knowledge of other players due to the large advantage it gives the user. If games allow you to chose not to enter a game where people are using it, then by all means do it. CoD, by the way, does not allow you to do it.

It will never be okay (at least in my opinion) to use it without the knowledge of other players due to the large advantage it gives the user. If games allow you to chose not to enter a game where people are using it, then by all means do it. CoD, by the way, does not allow you to do it.

Is it too hard to spot to have a 'No kb&m server'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Aren't most console fps' p2p?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'd nearly buy it just to prove to all those dumbasses who insist that the controller is miles better than a k+B......let's see what you think then :D

well the first step would be adding official K&M support to the console. In the case of the 360, MS evidently don't want it there whereas the PS3, despite having it, has seen a lack of developers willing to implement support for it. The reasons for this are pretty obvious in fairness.

This point aside, we're still left with the problem that this peripheral masks what type of device you're using, it basically fools the 360 into thinking you're using a controller. This means even if the game did support a K&M option for online gaming, you'd still have the same problem. As I've said repeatedly, this is a major issue because it means other players can't detect whether you're using it or not.
    Burgo wrote: »
    Aren't most console fps' p2p?
    I think he means the host, whether it's another player in P2P or dedicated box in a CS setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh this is the only way i'd play a FPS on the xbox... when you've a used mouse and keyboard all your life it does'nt make sense to dumb yourself down does it?

Advertisement