Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me choose a car

• 18-09-2011 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I posted recently expressing an interest in buying an Astra next year and looking for advice. Well, my thinking has changed since then. Basically, next March I'd like to buy a diesel car. The problem is, I am quite clueless about what makes and models are reliable and fuel efficient. I'm hoping that good advice will be forthcoming here. My purchasing criteria are as follows:
    • Max. I am willing to spend: €4,000
    • Fuel Type: Diesel
    • Fuel Economy: Must be very economical (ideally 800km+ per fill)
    • Body Type: Hatchback or saloon
    • Reliability: Not prone to mechanical problems
    • Power: Not sluggish
    • Motor Tax: Preferably under €333 under €500

That's it; once all those boxes are ticked, I'm happy. I want to keep this car for about 2 years maximum. After that, I can upgrade to something far more modern.

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Astra 1.3 CDTI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Hiace.

Fiat Panda 1.3 diesel. Hard to find, but reliable and will do 70 mpg +

Yaris d-4d

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Polo 1.4 tdi and remap it to 100 bhp.....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm not gone on the look of the Panda I must say!

What year range am I looking at, if €4,000 is the maximum I want to spend? Also, how would Golfs, Ford Focuses, Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas, Hyundais, Audis or Peaugeots be, reliability-wise? Looking on Carzone, it seems that diesels are quite rare.

I should probably add that I don't want to go too 'out there' in terms of model, and like something that looks some way decent.

• Advertisement

To fit the €333 tax bracket you desrie, 1.4 diessels is the only fit for you. You'll get Pug 306's, fiestas/fusions, bmw mini's, yaris;s and polo's fitted with 1.4 diesel units.
    As I alluded to above, my choice would be a lupo or polo twist 1.4 tdi from the uk, 75bhp and remap it to 100bhp. Great fun little cars, and you'll get a good resale on them too.

Smallest golf is 1.9
    Smallest a3 is 1.9
    Smallest civic is 1.7
    Peugeot 307 is 1.4 or 1.6 hdi but they're rubbish
    Mazda3 is 1.6
    Corolla is 1.4 from 2004 onwards

MidlandsM wrote: »
    To fit the €333 tax bracket you desrie, 1.4 diessels is the only fit for you. You'll get Pug 306's, fiestas/fusions, bmw mini's, yaris;s and polo's fitted with 1.4 diesel units.
    As I alluded to above, my choice would be a lupo or polo twist 1.4 tdi from the uk, 75bhp and remap it to 100bhp. Great fun little cars, and you'll get a good resale on them too.

Looks nice alright, but I wouldn't know or care enough to go changing the HP I'm afraid :o Also, nice one here but it's a bit pricey, is a private sale (I will only buy from a dealer), and has no CD player.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    Smallest golf is 1.9
    Smallest a3 is 1.9
    Smallest civic is 1.7
    Peugeot 307 is 1.4 or 1.6 hdi but they're rubbish
    Mazda3 is 1.6
    Corolla is 1.4 from 2004 onwards

Thanks Colm. I presume as per MidlandsM's post above that the tax on all of these would be over the €333 mark?

That would be a good way for me to cut certain makes out of the equation I suppose.

Motor tax rates here

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

Don't get too hung up on engine size, you'll eliminate a lot of good cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Astra is a pile o pish!!! stay away from it,looks good but thats it.Awful thing,extremly fragile.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Motor tax rates here

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/MotorTaxRates/MotorTaxRatesBasedonEngineSize/

Don't get too hung up on engine size, you'll eliminate a lot of good cars.

Thanks Colm. I suppose if the car is fuel efficient, it will offset the larger tax cost. I'm seeing a lot of 2l Citroen C5s and a few Audi A4 1.9 TDIs on Carzone. How are they in terms of reliability and fuel efficiency?

Also, the 1.3 Astra would be my first choice I have to say, but they seem very rare indeed, and from what is there, it's unlikely I would pick one up for €4000 :(

A 1.3 Astra?????NNNNNnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its a bucket,dont do it.:eek:

tweedledee wrote: »
    A 1.3 Astra?????NNNNNnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Its a bucket,dont do it.:eek:

Any chance you could elaborate instead of wailing?

I'm not wailing at all,its just a terrible car.Its basically a European Chevrolet,tarted up a bit.
    Opels/Vauxhall have always been rubbish,especially used.People buy em because they look nice,but Astras love going to the garage for a service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

but Astras love going to the garage for a service.

I think most cars like going to the garage for a service..:rolleyes:

Right so, also seeing Renault Lagunas and a few Focuses out there on Carzone, but they seem to be saloons rather than the tidy hatchbacks I expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Tweedledee, don't post in this thread again.

Why not??just gave my opinion on Astras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Why not??just gave my opinion on Astras.

Your opinions so far have been no more informative and helpful than "noooooo, they're balls of shyte" or similar.
    If you can't post constructively, don't post at all.

Please don't question moderator instruction on-thread. Re-read the Charter before posting again.

Infraction given for ignoring on-thread warning/questioning mod instruction on-thread.

OK, basically, having changed my mind slightly since the OP, would any diesel car from 1.3 to, say, 1.9 (something like this) be capable of doing 800+km on a full tank?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tremelo wrote: »
    OK, basically, having changed my mind slightly since the OP, would any diesel car from 1.3 to, say, 1.9 (something like this) be capable of doing 800+km on a full tank?

I would shy away from Renaults of that era. Both the Megane and Laguna suffered from severe electrical problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I would shy away from Renaults of that era. Both the Megane and Laguna suffered from severe electrical problems.

I think steering clear of Renaults altogether is a reasonable stance to take.
    Older Renaults will be better than modern ones because they simply don't have the same amount of electronic components to break, mainly the dreaded window regs.
    I've driven about 6 Renaults over the years and not once did I think anything positive about any of them, I'm just glad I never bought one and I was delighted when herself got rid of her Clio.
    I'd have to say the mk2 Megane is possibly the worst car I have ever driven on almost every level, got it as a courtesy car and would have been better off with being given bus fare, truly shocking, it's like they spent more time cramming the car with gimmicks than actually making a quality product, I shudder whenever I see one.

Glazers Out!

OK, how would you guys rate the Citroen C5, Toyota Avensis (2 liter) and Skoda Octavia, all 2006 regs, diesel, in terms of reliability and economy? Note that I generally do not carry passengers, so I am thinking that the Toyota and Octavia would be a bit big.... but if they're cheap to run, I wouldn't care.

Also: why are 06 Toyota Avensis cars so cheap on carzone? Bigger cars than Astras and Golfs, yet generally cheaper. :confused:

if its the 1.6 C5 diesel, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Help2

Tremelo wrote: »

Its good to be fuel conscious, but you also have to be aware of the size of fuel tank...

a 65litre fuel tank may be capable of doing 800km from a full tank... but if a car with a 40litre fuel tank was capable of doing 800km from a full tank that would be better...

even a 40litre tank doing 600km would be more economical than a 65litre tank doing 800km...

Parkers.co.uk seems to be a good site for car reviews.. alot of technical info including mpg..fuel tank size etc...

Advertisement