Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Classes Clonmel?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi!
    Does anyone have any links for part time classes in clonmel....in spanish preferably? All I can find are a couple classes that the VEC run, but not what Im looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Not that I know of, they do run spanish evening classes in WIT,in Dungarvan VEC and in Dunhill as far as I know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Anyone know anywhere in town I could do a free/cheap first aid course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Order of Malta and Civil Defence normally start them around now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

What level? An option might be to find a Spanish teacher who offers grinds outside school, and approach them to see if they'd teach an adult.

I don't know how this compares price-wise to evening classes though, but it would be one-to-one tuition, so you might need less lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

tippinst clonmel branch do some night classes.

http://www.lit.ie/LifelongLearning/Courses/default.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭fichillie

wow theres a great choice of courses in dungarven, its amazing there arent more options for clonmel :rolleyes:

pooch90 wrote: »
    Anyone know anywhere in town I could do a free/cheap first aid course?
    The South Tipp Sports Partnership run these regularly the next one is on Fri 11th and Sat12th Novemeber, email info@stsp.ie

fichillie wrote: »
    wow theres a great choice of courses in dungarven, its amazing there arent more options for clonmel :rolleyes:

I know, every year I look with envy at their brochure....the VEC in Clonmel could do with taking a leaft out of their book !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

solerina wrote: »
    The South Tipp Sports Partnership run these regularly the next one is on Fri 11th and Sat12th Novemeber, email info@stsp.ie

Thanks a million! Do you know if they charge for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

The choice in Clonmel is exceptionally poor. It was marginally better a couple of years ago but now the likes of the VEC and tipp inst use the recession as an excuse to cut back even further. They claim they have to focus their resources on courses that lead to employment rather than hobbies but speaking to people looking for job retraining there isnt much of a selection out there either. Its a pity facilities are not made available in schools. I know in Limerick the crestant comp open their doors to night courses. Art, dancing, languages Golf etc etc. It must be a tidy little earner for the school.

• Advertisement

solerina wrote: »
    I know, every year I look with envy at their brochure....the VEC in Clonmel could do with taking a leaft out of their book !!!

Surely the population of Clonmel is at least twice that of Dungarvan....I live in clonmel for work, and go home at the weekends but midweek I do a few excercise classes, but apart from that, there is nothing to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

touts wrote: »
    It must be a tidy little earner for the school.

I spoke to someone in relation to this recently. They were in a position to offer this in one of the secondary schools. Like you they thought it would be a nice earner but wasn't. You have to pay a member of staff to stay on to lock up etc, there's the extra light and heat. Most classes were only just about breaking even so by the time the tutor was paid and the bills deducted there was no profit. I appreciate the fact though that it's possibly something you'd have to run as a loss leader for a number of years and then be in a position to put on lots of courses once interest was up. Though these days what school can justify that?

I look in envy to Dungarvan every year. Clonmel is a young vibrant town but it's badly let down in this regard.

pooch90 wrote: »
    Thanks a million! Do you know if they charge for them?
    Yes, It costs 50 euro and is on a first come first served basis.
    Friday 6-10pm and Saturday 9-6pm so good value I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

no leadership in Clonmel look at the official town web site, clonmel.ie it's pretty bad, the chamber of commerce were running it at one stage and it was worse if thats possible!! itd seem all they're interested in is what they can make out of the town not what they can give - no community spirit among them.
    Obviously the adult education situation is treated much the same - no one cares!!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alan27

Waterford city has a great range of evening courses. www.wcfe.ie

Hi All, Just thought I'd share that Cahir VEC are running Spanish, I've just registered tonight. Just need 11 more people to do the same now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Hi All, Just thought I'd share that Cahir VEC are running Spanish, I've just registered tonight. Just need 11 more people to do the same now :D
    who is the teacher? is it beginner or more advanced?

Dont know the teacher.

I've signed up for beginners, but I think theres an intermediate class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Good on ya!
    I started Spanish in Clonmel (the old tech) maybe 6 years ago? I am living and working in Spain now. Best of luck with it. It is a nice language and very manageable (certainly compared to English).
    Hope you get the numbers to run the course, that's always a problem.

Advertisement