Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's victory: should Dublin City Council organise a massive celebration?

Options
  • 18-09-2011 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

This is incredible. I'm in Phibsboro at the moment and everywhere is gone ecstatic. It's brilliant, out of this world.

When other counties win All-Ireland's the local civil authorities organise celebrations that kids, communities and very grateful businesses remember for years.

I think a massive fireworks display and music festival would be brilliant for our city. We need a party, a celebration amid all the gloom - and this was a great victory against what everybody regarded as the most skilful team in the country. It was testimony to huge dedication by the team and all their infrastructural supports in Dublin.

Do you think Dublin City Council should organise a massive celebration of Dublin's All-Ireland win?

* I know there's a thread on the win already, but this is specifically about Dubliners' views on whether DCC should or should not organise a celebration.

Dublin's victory: should Dublin City Council organise a massive celebration? 58 votes

Yes, definitely
    0%
    No, definitely
    67%
    TouchingVirussharkmanJupiterKidwhiskeymanGrudairesdanseotoxicity234robh71The Hill BillyJesus WeptGrid.2qk4uPoxyshamrockCollie Dkonaarybvtcw0eolkfMagillFreudianSlippersConor Bourkeneil_hosey 39 votes
    Yeah, why not
    18%
    D-GeneratemusiknonstopspuriousnibtrixDermoMIOdonaghsdfx-papukellsredSuper5onicRichard Hillman 11 votes
    No
    13%
    techguybasseyAussie SeancarolmonglossyRedlionNodsterLawrence1895 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

No.

It should never be mentioned.

We should all get back to work tomorrow morning and never speak of this again.

We're not Italians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

**** no, we give those GAA chaps enough free cash as it is. Let them pay for their own celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yeah, why not
    No, it will cost too much for local businesses. The city centre would be no go for normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Homecoming celebrations in Merrion Square tomorrow evening at 7 pm!
    Havn't voted as I'm not a Dub...only hitched to one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

No, definitely
    CiaranC wrote: »
    **** no, we give those GAA chaps enough free cash as it is. Let them pay for their own celebrations

Oh, and when and how does this happen and who is "we"? Clearly you're not a business owner in Dublin and you have little understanding of the massive financial benefits which Dublin and its hotels, restaurants, shops and so on receive from the million plus people who attend Croke Park - almost 2 million visited it in 2009 - as well as the thousands of matches across the county each year.

If any organisation is giving "free cash" (:rolleyes:) to another organisation, it is the GAA which gives Dublin City "free cash".

• Advertisement

No, definitely
    No, it will cost too much for local businesses. The city centre would be no go for normal people.

The direct opposite of what actually happens. By that logic, there would be no celebrations organised in Dublin, be they on Paddy's Day or whatever. Festivals are organised and supported by local businesses because they benefit the local economy. This is not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

No, definitely
    Of course they should, its been 16 years since we last won the All Ireland,it would be great for the city,great for the (Dublin)people and it will bring some pride and good feeling back into our city.

Great day for dublin and great & so proud to be a Dub.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No, definitely
    Some info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Or they could spend the money on improving water pipes, road conditions, preparing for the cold snap, street cleaning. Basically, something that isn't a waste of money and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

We should all just make a point of holidaying in Kerry this year, and smiling quietly at everyone we meet there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Can Dublin City Council afford a "massive celebration"?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

they are having something in merrion square tomorrow which is a load of arse for those of us who work there

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

irishbird wrote: »
    they are having something in merrion square tomorrow which is a load of arse for those of us who work there

Yeah, but it doesn't sound too massive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Jesus will ye lighten up. Chances are this will involves a stage and some barriers, some ****e music lineup and little else. This is a momentous occasion for the county. We should celebrate it. We should have had some sort of fanzone today for the game in the city.

Dublin is probably the greatest recipient of sports tourism of any county in Ireland. If you don't realise the long term economic benefits of sports promotion you're a bit stupid really.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

you just know that the scum element that follow the dubs will be out in force tomorrow night locked out of their heads and pissing and puking all over merrion square.
    it's going to look great alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This is a momentous occasion for the county.
    Momentous me hole, a county with a million people in it manages to win a championship of some low-skill, parochial, amateur game once in fifteen years. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭brennan1979

No, definitely
    Momentous me hole, a county with a million people in it manages to win a championship of some low-skill, parochial, amateur game once in fifteen years. Amazing.

Well what do you say to that really. Lighten up Ciaran. Life's too short. Up the Dubs!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

low-skill, parochial, amateur game

Yes because soccer is full of skill nowadays isn't it and not full of wusses that would fall over if a fly hit them. Hurling is also an amateur sport and I would describe that as requiring much more skill then soccer.

I like soccer btw but I just had to respond to your dopey post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

No, definitely
    argentum wrote: »
    you just know that the scum element that follow the dubs will be out in force tomorrow night locked out of their heads and pissing and puking all over merrion square.
    it's going to look great alright

What a negative, sterotypical attitude. May as well just cancel all events held in the city if that's the case.

You don't like Gaelic games...fine, we get it. Let the rest of us who were at the match yesterday who waited 16 years for that day enjoy our day out.

Up the Dubs!

EDIT: To the organisers - Please don't inflict Jedward on us at this bash

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Sooopie

irishbird wrote: »

Yup & they better not block off the roads on my bus route home this evening :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In fairness, the pinnicle of this guys sporting interest is Shamrock Rovers. No doubt Rohan Ricketts and Gary Twigg are vastly superior to Bernard Brogan and Gooch Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yeah, why not
    Het-Field wrote: »
    In fairness, the pinnicle of this guys sporting interest is Shamrock Rovers. No doubt Rohan Ricketts and Gary Twigg are vastly superior to Bernard Brogan and Gooch Cooper.

Those gaa players won national titles, so did shamrock rovers. The only difference i can see between them is that the Rovers players did it on the European stage as well as winning their own national championships.

BTW I hate Rovers :pac:

No, definitely
    Sooopie wrote: »
    Yup & they better not block off the roads on my bus route home this evening :mad:

Here's hoping they block off every road on the way home and then redirect the Liffey so it floods the fuck out of your home. :P

Up the Dubs!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

No, definitely

Were you in Dublin? This is huge for the city, no matter how much you talk it down.

We give too much to the GAA? How about the quarter of a BILLION we pumped into the Aviva for the IRFU and FAI to enjoy the profits out of? Or the €6 million SDCC gave towards Tallaght for Scumbag Rovers?

Y'up out of that ya begrudger, up the Dubs! What a celebration in the city yesterday it won't be 16 years again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Isn't it tiring that we live in a society where people feel the need to justify the economic benefits of everything.

I'm not a Dub Supporter,but the cultural benefits that the GAA brings to Ireland are massive. Of course, the All Ireland champions should have a civic reception regardless of financial benefits.The GAA enriches so many communitys across Ireland, bring people from all walks of life together, that is reason enough to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No, definitely
    panda100 wrote: »
    ...I'm not a Dub Supporter,but the cultural benefits that the GAA brings to Ireland are massive. Of course, the All Ireland champions should have a civic reception regardless of financial benefits.The GAA enriches so many communitys across Ireland, bring people from all walks of life together, that is reason enough to celebrate.

Ditto. Well said!

tHB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

panda100 wrote: »
    Isn't it tiring that we live ina society where people feel the nead to justify the economic benefits of everything.

I'm not a Dub Supporter,but the cultural benefits that the GAA brings to Ireland are massive. Of course, the All Ireland champions should have a civic reception regardless of financial benefits.The GAA enriches so many communitys across Ireland, bring people from all walks of life together, that is reason enough to celebrate.

Hmm, what if you're not interested in GAA ? from what I've been told is they dont like funding going to any other sport in measure that are extreme and unfair. Theres one word when a group prioritises all resources for themselves, cant think what it is.
    Having said that Im in Dublin, not into GAA, so let the GAA pay for it.
    Unless of course the GAA are donating money hand over fist for cultural events throughout the city throughout the year??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement