Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condensation

• 18-09-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm having some issues with damp in my apartment. It really only affects 1 wall only and as I understand its probably due to fact that its the coldest wall of the apt. I believe it is caused by warm air coming in contact with cold walls which develops the mold.
    I contacted Horizon Preservation which propose the following solution.
    [http://www.horizonpreservation.ie/condensation_9.html] Drimaster solution

Can anyone vouch for this solution and / or this Company

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

is there a vent in the room do you open a window do you dry cloths in the room alnthese could be factors either

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭robh71

yes there is a vent which is generally covered by bed. What I'm trying to figure out is if the Drimaster solution is one which works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Your link doesn't work.
    First you need to identify if your problem is damp or condensation & eliminate the problem at source if possible. Moving appartment might be the best option.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

robh71 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm having some issues with damp in my apartment. It really only affects 1 wall only and as I understand its probably due to fact that its the coldest wall of the apt. I believe it is caused by warm air coming in contact with cold walls which develops the mold.
    I contacted Horizon Preservation which propose the following solution.
    [http://www.horizonpreservation.ie/condensation_9.html] Drimaster solution

Can anyone vouch for this solution and / or this Company

Thanks in Advance
    there are more professional units than this one on the market, ones tha connect to a RH & co2 sensor.+ the one you would need would probably be the flatmaster yoke which doesn't seem to have the BBA cert.

you need an inspection by an impartial expert consultant and not a company selling a product..
    if I understand you correctly you have dampness on one wall, which is probably as it doesn't have adequate insulation and because you don't have adequate ventilation.
    the solution you suggest solves the ventiation but not the insulation issue and it therefore increases your heat loss through forcing out more hot air. so in a sense your solving one problem and creating another..
    so lets start with a few questions and see what can be ruled out:
    1. do you own the apartment?
    2. what was the BER when you bought it?
    3. what did the surveyor say when you bought it?
    4. how old is it? (ie. is there any contract maintenance period still enforceable with the builder or architect etc)
    5. have you contacted your management company and asked for a professional architects/ engineers opinion?
    6. is any of your neighbours experiencing the same issues?
    7. have you had your cooker fan and bathroom fan checked for the correct amount of extract?
    8. are you drying excessive amounts of clothes/ other sources of moisture in the house
    9. move your bed! and make sure all vents are open, could you open the windows during the day, it might be that simple!
    10. is your heating working correctly?

BryanF wrote: »
    there are more professional units than this one on the market, ones tha connect to a RH & co2 sensor.+ the one you would need would probably be the flatmaster yoke which doesn't seem to have the BBA cert.

you need an inspection by an impartial expert consultant and not a company selling a product..
    if I understand you correctly you have dampness on one wall, which is probably as it doesn't have adequate insulation and because you don't have adequate ventilation.
    the solution you suggest solves the ventiation but not the insulation issue and it therefore increases your heat loss through forcing out more hot air. so in a sense your solving one problem and creating another..
    so lets start with a few questions and see what can be ruled out:
    1. do you own the apartment? YES
    2. what was the BER when you bought it? No Ideas
    3. what did the surveyor say when you bought it? He gave the entire apartment a clean bill of health. I must mention that the issue of mold only occurred 2 years ago. Up to then there was no issue. Its possibly due to fact that there were 2 additional people sleeping in room from that point onwards, partner and baby!
    4. how old is it? (ie. is there any contract maintenance period still enforceable with the builder or architect etc). I think they were built in 1980's
    5. have you contacted your management company and asked for a professional architects/ engineers opinion? I have informed them but they have of course said it is an issue for me to sort out
    6. is any of your neighbours experiencing the same issues? Good question. I don't know. They wall which I experience the problem with is a rear facing wall to which no neighbor is situated.
    7. have you had your cooker fan and bathroom fan checked for the correct amount of extract?No I haven't
    8. are you drying excessive amounts of clothes/ other sources of moisture in the house. No I'm aware of how this can accelerate the problem
    9. move your bed! and make sure all vents are open, could you open the windows during the day, it might be that simple! Tried that and still a problem
    10. is your heating working correctly? Yes

I must also add that we now rent this property out and have no direct control apart from whats in contract of drying clothes in the apartment and ensuring adequate ventilation.

• Advertisement

2 stroke wrote: »
    Your link doesn't work.
    First you need to identify if your problem is damp or condensation & eliminate the problem at source if possible. Moving appartment might be the best option.

You really should ditch the day job and seek a consultation advisory job, such is your awe inspiring wisdom!

HI Bryan

DO you know how I can arrange an inspection from an impartial expert consultant ansd what I would expect to pay for such a service?

robh71 wrote: »
    HI Bryan

DO you know how I can arrange an inspection from an impartial expert consultant ansd what I would expect to pay for such a service?
    Robh71, I tired my usual contact, sounds like he's in Spain:)

no worries Bryan, I'll post a thread as per your advice and see how I get on. I'll let you know how I progress. Many thanks agin

Rob,another thing you could try is something like this: http://www.hitechniques.ie/VirtualBrochure.aspx?p=586

• Advertisement
Advertisement