Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike Licence Question

• 18-09-2011 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭

So, I'll be turning 18 this February and I was wondering if I could skip the A1 licence and go straight onto category A?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Yes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

That's really comforting, thanks for the quick reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

It also depends on the bike you're riding I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Just go straight for the A Licence. When you go to do the test itself make sure you are on a bike bigger than 125.

If you do your test on a 125 an pass you'll get an A1 full licence. If you do it on a 250, for example, and pass you'll get a full A licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Getting the training and test through a training school is a way to do it. You get training and their insurance covers the training and test. Insurance until 25 might/will be prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Rusty you can go directly to the A permit once you are 18 but you will still have to complete the Initial Basic Training before being allowed on the road by yourself. As mentioned before you will be crucified on insurance at that age depending on the type of bike you want.
    Start small maybe a cbf250 or similar get the road craft on that then move up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Yep once you are 18 you can get the A. That said, you will be legally able to ride bikes up to 33bhp and those restricted to 33bhp. Legally you can, but you may find it hard to get insured on anything bigger than a 125. If you are looking at a bike, ring the insurance companies to check they will cover you before you make a purchase

Yep once you are 18 you can get the A. That said, you will be legally able to ride bikes up to 33bhp and those restricted to 33bhp. Legally you can, but you may find it hard to get insured on anything bigger than a 125. If you are looking at a bike, ring the insurance companies to check they will cover you before you make a purchase

Can anyone please tell me why it is the case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Just the law untill 2 years after you pass your full A test

Not too bad so.
    Thanks!

Advertisement