Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coppers Bouncers??

Options
  • 18-09-2011 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Just wanted to know if anyone heard of this happening in Coppers or anywhere else for that matter.

My sister and friends arrived in Coppers from the Square bar last night late in the night.
    She says they were there 10 minutes when a bouncer came over and politley asked her to come with him for a second. (No friends around)
    She followed him over to the front door and when she got there he directed her outside, then told her she was not coming back in and closed the door.

When the door was opened to let others out, she tried to ask what was goin on and to explain she had no phone, jacket or handbag, but everytime was met with a laugh and a door slam.
    When she put her hand on the door he began shouting at her to stop being agressive.

She said she was goin to the gaurds and he told her to go on.
    At the Gardai station the ape behind the desk simply says "what can I do" about it and sends her on her way.

This entire time shes crying her eyes and has no way of contacting her friends inside or calling home.

For luck the bus to bring them home pulls up and she asks the driver to call her friends to come out, who have been looking for her inside the pub and apparently even asked said bouncer did he see her leave.

Now, if he had said he was throwing her out she could have at least got her stuff or asked why?

We just cant figure out what this guys game was but I am wondering is this a regular occurance over there, where they pick out one unsuspecting person to play games with?

Now we are going over to the Gardai station to find out what the **** the guy behind the desk was thinking when he sent an obviously distressed woman with no phone money or jacket back out into the rain without even the offer to make a phone call and the manager of the hole to find out who the bouncer is and what he was playing at.

But I wanted to see if anyone else from the area might have heard of this going on or any kind of reason for it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Was in there 3 Sundays ago and saw them kick severely people out who didn't seem overly intoxicated!

One of our group did get thrown out, nut she wass hammered and could barely stand so we had no issue with her being asked to leave! What we didn't like was how rough and aggreseive they were with her, dragging her out by the arm...the next day her whole bicep/tricep was bruised from him grabbing her so hard!

The same night, I wasn't drinking and was driving instead, was waiting for one of the lads at the entrance to the smoking area as he had gone in to get his jacket and the bouncer started pushing me out even though there was a crowd of people in front of me and I couldn't go anywhere!

You should go in some night and ask for the bouncers ID number and then make a complaint through the right channels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Contra Proferentem

If anyone you know has the name of the security personnel involved, you can check to see if they are licensed (in the last PSA check in Portlaoise, many weren't license at several pubs in town) by viewing the License Holders Register.

Once you have the persons Private Security Authority license number, you should file a complaint with the Private Security Authority, all this can be done on www.psa.gov.ie

Knew there had to be some site...just didn't know where!

It's also important to note that doormen (or bouncers) don't have any extra powers than that of the ordinary person. They can only use reasonable force proportionate to the threat.

So if anyone has a bad run-in with them I'd encourage you to file a complaint with the Gardai and seek out your solicitor to see what civil remedies may be available to you. Sometimes the wrong people get employed on the doors, and they never get stood up to.

Coppers seems to have constant trouble with their security staff. A very high turnover, with them either ending up in prison or sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Veles wrote: »
    Any proof to substaniate that claim?
    As to the constant trouble with the bouncers check out
    Coppers Reviews

Thanks Contra Proferentem, heard there was somewhere to complain to but couldnt remember where.

Its all systems go on this!!

Thanks lads.

Be careful what you say about anyone on here...I know you haven't mentioned his name and all but just to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Hope you get some justice OP, its nothing new to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭robbie02

I think Coppers is the best place ever! best music, and the most professional doormen in the country, maybe even the whole wide world, oh how i love stepping over this golden threshold to behold such wonderous sights and sounds. My existence would be devoid of all meaning without this club of Utopia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

99% of the time drunk obnoxious droolers cause waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more of the problem than the bouncer they blame it on the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

robbie02 wrote: »
    I think Coppers is the best place ever! best music, and the most professional doormen in the country, maybe even the whole wide world, oh how i love stepping over this golden threshold to behold such wonderous sights and sounds. My existence would be devoid of all meaning without this club of Utopia.

sarcasm01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Oh nothing new here indeed indeed. A vast majority of the time a group of guys will not get in, the bouncers only seem to want to let women in.

Some months ago I had a friend who was in there for the first time ever, cold sober.He asked for a guinness, got it, took a sip and it was bad.
    He brought it back up to one of the girls behind the bar and asked for it to be changed. he only took a mouthful from it. The girl bekoned the bouncers, and with force 2 of them dragged him out and threw him on to the street.

I was in the pub next door last Saturday, Uisce Beatha, and watched about 10 perfectly good, sober guys get refused entry!
    They have the monolopy and dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

How have they a monopoly? Club 23 and Egans have been there long before Coppers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I have been in lots of bars and clubs and never had a fight or been thrown out by the bouncers.

Trust me, you were an asshole if they came after you.
    Maybe they got a look-a-like that was causing trouble, but I doubt it.

How have they a monopoly? Club 23 and Egans have been there long before Coppers?

With no cover charge.....I can not help but notice that now Egans are doing a free in before 12, and they also have 3 girls going around all the pubs at the weekends giving out free passes.

Egans never ever had a free in until Coppers came around.

TheUsual wrote: »
    I have been in lots of bars and clubs and never had a fight or been thrown out by the bouncers.

Trust me, you were an asshole if they came after you.
    Maybe they got a look-a-like that was causing trouble, but I doubt it.

Everyone is talking about Coppers bouncers, anyone I know that goes in there, which could be 30-50 people I know all come back with the same story.
    Not everyone could be imagining it.
    They are obviously far too agressive and only allow who they like in.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Everyone is talking about Coppers bouncers, anyone I know that goes in there, which could be 30-50 people I know all come back with the same story.

Well just spread the word and bring your custom elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Or ... you could be the problem.

I'm not a bouncer and don't know any of them ... but maybe take a look in the mirror and ask why do these friends of yours attract all this bad energy.

I'm not a bouncer and don't know any of them ... but maybe take a look in the mirror and ask why do these friends of yours attract all this bad energy.

What a stupid ****ing statement. Do you work for Coppers?
    All you have to do is park up in the square in your car and just watch all the guys being refused for no reasons. Girls will always get in no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

If it was just his friends you would have a point but as it is in fact most people who have bothered going to Coppers, him and his mates are in the majority. I dont lower myself to the place but Ive heard all the same stories that have been gracing this thread.

Fact is, these 'men' have a major collective chip on their broad shoulders.

**Vai** wrote: »
    If it was just his friends you would have a point but as it is in fact most people who have bothered going to Coppers, him and his mates are in the majority. I dont lower myself to the place but Ive heard all the same stories that have been gracing this thread.

Fact is, these 'men' have a major collective chip on their broad shoulders.

Thats exactly what it is, all these guys have a chip on their shoulders.
    It is going to bring Coppers down.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭madred006

Are they men?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

I was in the pub next door last Saturday, Uisce Beatha, and watched about 10 perfectly good, sober guys get refused entry.

Drunks spend more money. Simple economics really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

there are loads of other reasons, besides being drunk, why they might refuse entry to someone. i dont go there, havent been out in portlaoise for ages but i did security in the town a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Im a female but have twice been refused entry to Coppers on the few occasions Ive ventured in there, once because "I think you've had enough love" I was told when was in fact the designated driver on the night and on another occasion, myself and three girls with me were refused for no apparent reason. I know of several others who have had very negative experiences with the bouncers in Coppers.

Tending to venture into Uisce Beatha now which is apparently going to be a late bar, major opportunity for someone to open another disco bar which operates an over 21's policy in Portlaoise, the problem with Egans and Club 23 is that there is a large underage crowd (under 18) so Coppers is the only real club scene alternative for those who dont want to be surrounded by teeny-boppers.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know who is working the doors there now? I remember it used to be a crowd from Pallas (outside Portlaoise) but they had some problems with the Courts. PM preferred.

Advertisement