Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Happened Robber Millar in 1985?

• 18-09-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

I read a letter in the sports section of the Sunday Times last week and I've never heard of what the writer is referring to. Anybody know?

Quoted directly from the paper...
    Lionel Birnie (last week) said Bradley Wiggins had nothing to fear except a shock loss of form. In 1985, what should robert Millar have feared? Bogus roadworks, ambulances without patients, level crossings shut with no train in view, anything to prevent him winning. He was cheated out of a famous victory.

Roger Jones, London.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭seve65

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

I read a letter in the sports section of the Sunday Times last week and I've never heard of what the writer is referring to. Anybody know?

Quoted directly from the paper...

Millar was cheated out of the victory, particularly on one day where his closest rival delgado was up the road and he was getting false time checks etc, he refers to it in his video/dvd of his career that came out some years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

I vaguely remember a story, relayed to me years ago by a school friend, about either Sean Kelly or Robert Millar being well ahead in a race and being directed down the wrong route by a policeman or steward. Can anyone shed any light on this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I vaguely remember a story, relayed to me years ago by a school friend, about either Sean Kelly or Robert Millar being well ahead in a race and being directed down the wrong route by a policeman or steward. Can anyone shed any light on this?

It was Robert Millar in a stage of the TDF.
    "In 1988, Millar rode for the French Fagor team and managed his best position in a one-day 'Monument' Classic, third in Liège–Bastogne–Liège. In the Tour de France, he lost the opportunity of a repeat mountain stage win in Guzet-Neige when, sprinting uphill to the finish with Phillipe Bouvatier, both riders mistook a gendarme's signals, took a wrong turn and ceded the win to Massimo Ghirotto"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Millar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yeah a steward directed him the wrong way in a mountain stage of the tour, but i think it was a mistake by the steward no more than that. but the vualta was a different story he was robbed of that right enough , fantastic rider great climber and a great aid to steven roach in 87 when roach won the tour of italy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

a great aid to steven roach in 87 when roach won the tour of italy .
    I presume you mean Stephen Roche?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I presume you mean Stephen Roche?

always one :o
    yes the very same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fender76

Robber Millar...? WTF..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭seven stars

Cheers for the info lads.

Advertisement