Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a grant and skipping college?

• 18-09-2011 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi! I am just wondering can anyone tell me how many days of college can you skip before it begins to effect the payment of your grant barring in mind I am going to an IT and not a University. I am not planning on skipping many days but
    I know I will have to skip a few through the year due to family stuff and my aunts husband is sick so I might have to skip a few because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

So long as it's not excessive I don't think you'll have a problem grant-wise.

By not excessive I mean no more than once every two weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It all depends on the attendance policy of the college you are attending. Most good institutions will have a fairly strict attendance policy but if you are fair with th then they will be fair with you, let them know, get dr.s notes etc.

I think the attendance policy says a lot about a college tbh, as I know a girl that didn't even do one full month on her course and still continued to collect her BTEA for the rest of the year. It was an utter disgrace that the college didn't report her as no longer in attendance of her course. Didnt even consider going there for a second after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It is mostly IT's which have stricter attendance policies. Universities are far less strict because there's far more students generally. Technically you could never show up and still pass all your modules and still be considered a student.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

Sounds like your gonna be getting an earfull from the balor

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

You can miss all the lectures you want as long as your fully registered. But your expected to pass exams at the end of the year. No passed exams = no grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

My girlfriend is in an IT and according to her if she passes all her exams she keeps her grant (as long as you're not out all the time you'll be ok basically). But she said if she fails any exams she'll have to have had a 90% attendance rate to keep her grant.

Advertisement