Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay 2012 Tour

Options
  • 18-09-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when Coldplay will be announcing a tour supporting Mylo Xyloto?

I think I read somewhere they won't be touring until next year (2012), but will the dates be announced at the time of the album's release?

I saw them at Oxegen this year and would absolutely love to go to their own gig.

Presumably they will play Ireland in the summer as they are too big for the likes of the O2 now. Maybe a Croke Park/Punchestown/Aviva gig would be a possibility. Should be one of the three.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I read somewhere that there is a big announcement coming next week from the band. So i presume it will be the tour being announced

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

karaokeman wrote: »
    Anyone know when Coldplay will be announcing a tour supporting Mylo Xyloto?

I think I read somewhere they won't be touring until next year (2012), but will the dates be announced at the time of the album's release?

I saw them at Oxegen this year and would absolutely love to go to their own gig.

Presumably they will play Ireland in the summer as they are too big for the likes of the O2 now. Maybe a Croke Park/Punchestown/Aviva gig would be a possibility. Should be one of the three.

I wouldn't totally rule out an O2 date although it is unlikely. After all RHCP are playing there in November!!!!

Anybody think that Coldplay could be in the mix for Slane next year. The Slane announcement was made in mid October last year and the new album is due out at the end of October this year. Could a Slane announcement be made to correspond with the release of the Coldplay album??? Just a thought.

If not Slane, I would expect a gig at the Aviva, possibly in late June 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭bren2001

I would love a small gig like the o2. Saw them at Oxegen and thought they were excellent. Gave everything they had. Realistically they will be at Slane or do the Croke Park gig next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I wouldn't totally rule out an O2 date although it is unlikely. After all RHCP are playing there in November!!!!

I'll admit there is a small possibility of Coldplay returning to the O2 but I'd be more expecting this tour to be largely stadium-based.

I'd say if the tour was announced earlier in the year, there would be a greater chance of another O2 date. Many bands seem to play the arenas here in the autumn/winter and then return in the summer for stadium/park shows.
    Green Day did it with the O2 followed by a Marley Park gig.
    Muse did it with an O2 date followed by Oxegen.
    Oasis did it with the Odyssey and then returned for Slane.
    And of course Coldplay did on their last tour and played the Phoenix Park in 2009.

Slane I'm not sure if it will go ahead next year seen as how the recent pattern has been a concert every 2 years. Rolling Stones in 07, Oasis in 09 and Kings of Leon in 11.

I think Croke Park would be most probable. Chris Martin is a massive U2 fan so I'd imagine he looks up to U2 for their Croker gigs and would want his band to follow in their footsteps.

Id say it will be an arena tour early in the new year and maybe followed by an outdoor show during the summer

• Advertisement

I think Slane will take place next year, it's too much of a money maker for Henry Mountcharles. Plus the official Slane Castle website seems to be confirming it will occur - http://www.slanecastle.ie/castle/castle_slane2012.php

Coldplay would be ideal for it. It would sell out in minutes I think. It would be great if they could include 1 or 2 nights in the O2 in Jan/Feb before returning for a big summer gig!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

They've just announced indoor shows for December in the UK & mainland Europe. No sign of an Irish show yet though. Hopefully something will be announced later in the week.

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=793

kmurph wrote: »
    They've just announced indoor shows for December in the UK & mainland Europe. No sign of an Irish show yet though. Hopefully something will be announced later in the week.

http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=793

Surely safe to assume that the O2 will be added for sometime in January 2012!!!!Seems like the schedule is pretty full until Christmas.

Surely safe to assume that the O2 will be added for sometime in January 2012!!!!Seems like the schedule is pretty full until Christmas.

It would be too late for them to announce an O2 date before christmas now, thats the problem.

I still think Croke Park is the most likely venue they will play. And just because it says on Slane's website "be the first to know who's playing Slane 2012" that doesn't mean there will be a concert.

Henry said there would be a concert in 2010 and yet there wasn't, we probably won't know about Slane until the new year but thats off-topic.

It would be too late for them to announce an O2 date before christmas now, thats the problem.

I still think Croke Park is the most likely venue they will play. And just because it says on Slane's website "be the first to know who's playing Slane 2012" that doesn't mean there will be a concert.

Henry said there would be a concert in 2010 and yet there wasn't, we probably won't know about Slane until the new year but thats off-topic.

I still think an O2 date will be confirmed. The announcement this morning was all Arena dates with no mention of a Wembley Stadium or Hyde Park gig. They might play the O2 in London in Dec and play a big outdoor gig in July so why not play an O2 gig here in January 2012 and Croke Park or the Aviva in July or August!!!

I take your point with regards Slane, it's not a dead cert by any means. Although, if it does go ahead, don't be surprised with a pre-Christmas announcement. It was announced on 26th Oct last year and given the state of the country, Henry might make an announcement in Nov/Dec when some people may have some cash built up rather than announce something in early Jan when €80 a ticket just cannot be spared by people!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

4 days between the Manchester & London shows. Dublin could be doable then or kick off the tour in Dublin & Belfast at the end of November. Play Dublin, then Belfast then across the water to Scotland.

The O2 looks to be free from Nov 27 to Dec 15. Although January & February both look pretty empty.

Yea i still think they might do the O2. They did it last time played O2 around X-Mas then came back to the Pheonix Park in Sept.

Without hi-jacking this as another Slane thread but Mountcharles should be clever to announce who is playing Slane leading up to christmas(unless there is no Slane) since people might buy ticket for peoples x-mas presents etc

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

they have just announced extra gigs before christmas across Europe but still nothing for Dublin.They wont have room before christmas to fit in Dublin unless they put us at the start of the tour

argentum wrote: »
    they have just announced extra gigs before christmas across Europe but still nothing for Dublin.They wont have room before christmas to fit in Dublin unless they put us at the start of the tour

I reckon a Dublin date is already in place behind the scenes for January 2012 but MCD are keeping it quiet until next week so that it doesn't effect negatively on ticket sales for Snow Patrol on Friday which is also a January gig.

If Coldplay were announced today for the O2 in January, then people would have to more than likely choose between the two and sales would suffer..Don't be surprised that when the majority of Snow Patrol tickets are snapped up, an announcement about Coldplay appears!!!

I reckon a Dublin date is already in place behind the scenes for January 2012 but MCD are keeping it quiet until next week so that it doesn't effect negatively on ticket sales for Snow Patrol on Friday which is also a January gig.

If Coldplay were announced today for the O2 in January, then people would have to more than likely choose between the two and sales would suffer..Don't be surprised that when the majority of Snow Patrol tickets are snapped up, an announcement about Coldplay appears!!!

Yea thats probably right. Since Coldplay and Snow Patrol have a similar fanbase and since people might not have as much money anymore they would have to choose either one. So maybe give it 1 or 2 weeks till Coldplay is announced

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Slane I'm not sure if it will go ahead next year seen as how the recent pattern has been a concert every 2 years. Rolling Stones in 07, Oasis in 09 and Kings of Leon in 11.

I think Croke Park would be most probable. Chris Martin is a massive U2 fan so I'd imagine he looks up to U2 for their Croker gigs and would want his band to follow in their footsteps.
    Even more reason for them to play Slane then!

I reckon Coldplay for Slane 2012 is as nailed on confirmed as you're ever likely to get for a gig. In fact I'm be shocked if they don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

just a thought but i reckon they could be headlining slane with snow patrol.

they might not do an o2 date to try sell more tickets for slane plus the fact they played in ireland only a few months ago at oxegen.

they have only announced 3dates in the uk for their arena tour so its not very likely that they will play the o2 in dublin.

davywalsh7 wrote: »
    just a thought but i reckon they could be headlining slane with snow patrol.

they might not do an o2 date to try sell more tickets for slane plus the fact they played in ireland only a few months ago at oxegen.

they have only announced 3dates in the uk for their arena tour so its not very likely that they will play the o2 in dublin.

I wouldn't think MCD / Henry Mountcharles are too concerned about ticket sales for Slane. Slane will always sell out, no matter who plays. It's an Irish institution at this stage and it has a core support of I'd say in excess of 50,000 people who go every year regardless of who plays.

Coldplay would have no problem selling out 2 nights at the O2 and selling out Slane also. KoL sold out Slane in minutes last year and had to add an O2 date just to please the thousands who didn't get tickets!!! And in fairness, Coldplay are a superior act compared to KoL..I was at Slane and Oxegen this year and loved both bands, Slane was fantastic but just felt Coldplay really had a raw energy and capture that maybe KoL lacked.

I wouldn't think MCD / Henry Mountcharles are too concerned about ticket sales for Slane. Slane will always sell out, no matter who plays.
    Well Madonna couldn't sell it out.

BaZmO* wrote: »

They took a gamble on Madonna. Coldplay wont have a problem selling Slane out.

• Advertisement

The main reasons behind the Madonna non-sell out were, firstly, the gig was on a SUNDAY which meant people had to take the Monday off work and this generated plenty bad press at the time and also the fact that tickets were €90 plus booking fees didn't help. Lets also not forget the pretty poor support on that day in 2004.

The 2004 concert attracted protests from the people of Slane, as it was to be held on a Sunday. The inhabitants were afraid of repeats of the civil unrest that had occurred the last time a concert was held on a Sunday, in 1984. This was due to concert-goers arriving the day before, Saturday, and consuming large amounts of alcohol before the Sunday concert. The matter was resolved by postponing the start of the concert and having a notably smaller lineup than other years.

All the above taken into consideration, it is fair to say that the organisers messed up that year. Coldplay, RHCP, Muse, Foo Fighters or the Killers who all have new albums out or on the way would have no problems selling out!!

bren2001 wrote: »
    Coldplay wont have a problem selling Slane out.
    I never said they would.

The main reasons behind the Madonna non-sell out were, firstly, the gig was on a SUNDAY which meant people had to take the Monday off work and this generated plenty bad press at the time and also the fact that tickets were €90 plus booking fees didn't help. Lets also not forget the pretty poor support on that day in 2004.
    I was only replying to your statement that "Slane will always sell out, no matter who plays"
    All the above taken into consideration, it is fair to say that the organisers messed up that year. Coldplay, RHCP, Muse, Foo Fighters or the Killers who all have new albums out or on the way would have no problems selling out!!
    I doubt RHCP will play. They've already played twice, once as support and once as a Headliner. U2 are the only band to play 3 times.

Coldplay have already played as support so it's their turn to play as Headliner. Glastonbury this year, Slane next year.

I'm a huge Killers fan and would love to see them play it. It is plausible. They could sell it out....I wouldnt go as far as to say they would have no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it'd take a brave promoter to put Coldplay in Croker, considering they couldn't sell out Phoenix Park with Elbow and White Lies as support...

bren2001 wrote: »
    I'm a huge Killers fan and would love to see them play it. It is plausible. They could sell it out....I wouldnt go as far as to say they would have no problem.

With a decent support line-up, I don't think they would have any problem selling out. The Killers have a huge Irish fan base. Maybe throw a couple of the following in and tickets would sell fast:
    The Strokes
    The National
    Thirty Seconds to Mars
    Jimmy Eat World
    Two Door Cinema Club
    The Blackout
    Kasabian
    The Kooks (new album coming and will be looing for a launch platform)

support and once as a Headliner. U2 are the only band to play 3 times.

Coldplay have already played as support so it's their turn to play as Headliner. Glastonbury this year, Slane next year.

There is no Glastonbury this year. As someone said id say its between Coldplay/Foo Fighters/The Killers for Slane
    With a decent support line-up, I don't think they would have any problem selling out. The Killers have a huge Irish fan base. Maybe throw a couple of the following in and tickets would sell fast:
    The Strokes
    The National
    Thirty Seconds to Mars
    Jimmy Eat World
    Two Door Cinema Club
    The Blackout
    Kasabian
    The Kooks (new album coming and will be looing for a launch platform)

Also i could see Snow Patrol playing Slane with either of the bands that get announced .

There is no Glastonbury this year. As someone said id say its between Coldplay/Foo Fighters/The Killers for Slane
    Re-read my post

Re-read my post

Ah my bad;)

it'd take a brave promoter to put Coldplay in Croker, considering they couldn't sell out Phoenix Park with Elbow and White Lies as support...

I suppose that's a good point too.

Coldplay may have a chance of selling out Croker if Snow Patrol were the support act.

Snow Patrol could probably sell out the Aviva and Coldplay could do the same so having them both at Croker might help ticket sales for a single gig.

The same could be said for Take That. They didn't sell out Croke Park in 2009 but now they ended up playing two nights this year with Robbie Williams in the hood to play a host of solo tunes.

• Advertisement

I suppose that's a good point too.

Coldplay may have a chance of selling out Croker if Snow Patrol were the support act.

Snow Patrol could probably sell out the Aviva and Coldplay could do the same so having them both at Croker might help ticket sales for a single gig.

The same could be said for Take That. They didn't sell out Croke Park in 2009 but now they ended up playing two nights this year with Robbie Williams in the hood to play a host of solo tunes.

I agree. I think with a decent underbill they could easily sell it out. They pulled a massive crowd at Oxegen, one I have only see Eminem top. The day tickets for that sold out (mainly due to the fact Beyonce was on as well). I know after seeing them I would pay the money to go to a stand alone show.

Advertisement