Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

photographer looking for help with ongoing project.

Options
  • 18-09-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

I've recently graduated from college with a BA in photography and wish to carry on with one of my projects. The project is titled Time Served and it's based on young Irish trades men who worked and trained in the construction industry during the boom years, I have shot quite a number of portraits to date but feel strongly about the subject and hope to continue with the work, I'm new to boards and not sure if I'm posting in the right section, but what I'm trying to do is put out a call for participant's in my project, I'm looking for people between the age of 16-30 that have been effected by the downturn in the industry, examples of the work can be found here,

I would be very grateful if anyone could help or offer advice,

Thanks
    Steve

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Lovely project, was at your show, and congrats on the award. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stedoy

Lovely project, was at your show, and congrats on the award. best of luck
    Hi melekalikimaka,

Thanks a lot, will you make it to the show on the 23rd? hope all is well with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi stedoy, I'm afraid I can't help you - but great work! Your use of juxtaposition ( the child, the call of duty game...) is really powerful & your control of the lighting is very well done.

Thanks for sharing, & good luck,

FoxT

This may seem like a silly question, but can I ask you, the guys standing around, are they actually at the location, or were they photographed separately and dropped in afterward with a bit of computer trickery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Thats what I thought too. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The one with the kid. Brilliant.

FoxT wrote: »
    Hi stedoy, I'm afraid I can't help you - but great work! Your use of juxtaposition ( the child, the call of duty game...) is really powerful & your control of the lighting is very well done.

Thanks for sharing, & good luck,

FoxT
    Hey FoxT,
    Thanks for your kind comment's and taking the time too look at the work,

Steve.

This may seem like a silly question, but can I ask you, the guys standing around, are they actually at the location, or were they photographed separately and dropped in afterward with a bit of computer trickery?
    Hi KKV,

Firstly thanks for taking a look and showing an interest in my project, no your question is not silly at all, it's actually quite relevant, and it's not the first time it's been asked, Your quite right the images are not straight photography but the sitters are not dropped in either, the "guy's standing around" are lit with hard light to isolate them and separate them from the background, which is lit with a soft-box's and under exposed, I shoot the images as composites and use layer masks to blend them to how I want them to look, this is a deliberate approach I took to give the images the feel that something is not quite right or a bit unsettling, something both yourself and kfish2oo2 picked up on so I guess it works in a way, the reason I done this is to highlight the amount of twenty and thirty year olds (YOUNG MEN) in this country that spent four years or more of their lives training in a sector which they are no longer needed or have become surplus to requirement.
    hope this answers your question thanks again,
    cheers steve.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The one with the kid. Brilliant.
    Hey AnCatDubh,
    thanks for your comment,
    regards,
    steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Great project!

very moving images

Well done keep up the great work.

Great project!

very moving images

Well done keep up the great work.
    Thank you.

cheers S.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

congrats on award last night, look forward to seeing it grow.

Advertisement