Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Star DJ Tax defaulter

• 18-09-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭

I was reading the quaterly list of tax defaulters on the revenue web site and i spotted this.

Name WHELAN,PATRICK Here's Ricky
    Address NEWCOURT,KILLOTTERAN,
    County CO. WATERFORD.
    Occupation DISC JOCKEY
    Tax 47,684.60
    Interest & Penalties 44,115.40
    Total 91,800.00
    Additional particulars Underdeclaration of Income Tax . Revenue Audit Case.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/defaulters/index.html

it listed in quater 2 part

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

You could probably stick every other DJ on that site as well. Every musician plying their trade in a cover band as well for that matter.

I'll be in the minority here but I wish the government would go after the bigger fish.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You don't consider not paying 47k in tax that much of an issue?

I agree with going after bigger fish as well but you can't just ignore the others.

Oh I'm not saying it's not an issue...that's a LOT of tax...so he must have been getting paid under the counter for a very long time. But they find it so much easier to go after the people who are not standing behind a team of lawyers and clever accountants.

Actually hold on a second.. 47K? who was he DJing for? The sultan of Brunei?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Tax avoidance is clever, however, tax evasion is criminal. Anybody evading tax is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Tax avoidance is clever, however, tax evasion is criminal. Anybody evading tax is a disgrace.

I apologise for my ignorance but what's the difference?

I suppose one is paying no tax at all and the other is paying as little as you can get away with.

Bono is "clever" for moving his business affairs to the Netherlands to avoid having to pay tax on the royalties he gets from songwriting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm thinking the avoidance one is saying that the car you bought is being put against the tax you owe, but the tax evasion is ignoring the tax you owe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Oh I'm not saying it's not an issue...that's a LOT of tax...so he must have been getting paid under the counter for a very long time. But they find it so much easier to go after the people who are not standing behind a team of lawyers and clever accountants.

That's nonsense of the highest order, have you looked at the list of defaulters? There are solicitors, accountants, doctors, companies with big turnovers, farmers, landlords, hotels, publicans, all sorts of businesses. And bear in mind that the only settlements that get published are the ones where the taxpayer didn't 'fess up and make a disclosure when they were notified they were being audited - they tried to brazen it out and lost.

The "people standing behind a team of lawyers and clever accountants" will have made their tax returns properly in the first place, or will have the benefit of paying for professional good sense / advice, so you may not see their names published, but it doesn't mean Revenue don't "go after" them, or get money out of them.

And the simple fact of the matter at the end of the day is that tax evasion is more widespread at the bottom of the foodchain (in small, owner-managed businesses - like a DJ taking cash and never declaring it) than it is further up (like a supermarket, where tight controls over cash & stock are required).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Tax evasion is illegal - like where you deliberately just don't declare half (or any!) of your income.

Tax avoidance is attempting to legally minimise your tax liability, by exploiting loopholes in legislation etc...

• Advertisement

I think we're gonna have a barney...

Sorry if I upset ya boy. Ill stick to
    talking about pubs and boobs in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

the_syco wrote: »
    I'm thinking the avoidance one is saying that the car you bought is being put against the tax you owe, but the tax evasion is ignoring the tax you owe?
    Well put syco.

What kind of Tax would a DJ be liable to pay say on a nights work of (at a guess what a half decent one gets paid) €400?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

What kind of Tax would a DJ be liable to pay say on a nights work of (at a guess what a half decent one gets paid) €400?

If i was getting paid 400 squid cash in hand for doing a gig i wouldnt dream of telling the tax man. feck him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Mind you I heard the end of his show tonight he was talking about often having dark days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

few cans? wrote: »
    If i was getting paid 400 squid cash in hand for doing a gig i wouldnt dream of telling the tax man. feck him

Yeah, but you have no problem with fcukin eejits like me doing Saturday overtime and handing over half my €200 in PAYE, eh? So that we have hospitals, Gardai, street lights, etc.

Really stickin' it to the maan there I must say! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I suppose that would finance a special needs assistant for a year in some school. Lets hope the 90k gets spent well.

I'd imagine it will take them a long time to get that 91k though. I mean this is tax he should have been paying for many years so I presume is well spent by now. So he'll either have to pay it off over a very long period of time, or I dunno, go to jail?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well spent? I think this is where the money is going to go...
    guatemala_sink_hole_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

AdMMM wrote: »
    Well spent? I think this is where the money is going to go...
    guatemala_sink_hole_2.jpg

Looks like a picture of anglo...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

MEOW YOONG
    KAM,
    JOSEPHINE
    8 O'CONNEL STREET,WATERFORD.RESTAURATEUR
    1,147,247.00Underdeclaration of Income Tax and VAT. Revenue Single Premium Insurance Products Case.

Ah lads. Surely the forum is not about this.

No, but it's about where I can buy a 6oz burger!

Hey, it's news isn't it. It in some way makes me feel relieved

that after paying tax for over 20 years that these people who

lived off the country & paid a token gesture in tax are finally

being caught for evasion!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note

Can someone clarify to me, by PM only, the name part of this. I see a "Super Star DJ" and "Here's Ricky". Neither of which show up on the Revenues list for the individual.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Your okay talking about the DJ but not the Chinese? :S

MEOW YOONG
    KAM,
    JOSEPHINE
    8 O'CONNEL STREET,WATERFORD.RESTAURATEUR
    1,147,247.00Underdeclaration of Income Tax and VAT. Revenue Single Premium Insurance Products Case.

Mod Note

Please state your exact source (link to it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Just feels a bit weird seeing people's personal details posted up in a "LOOK WHAT THEY'RE DOING" sort of way....

It's not "Here is the revenue list for the quarterly".
    It's "LOOK AT THE TAX!! LOOK AT IT!! THIS IS WHERE THEY LIVE AND WORK!!"

Sully wrote: »
    Your okay talking about the DJ but not the Chinese? :S

Ah no...I just thought ah here..the floodgates will open now.

• Advertisement

At first I didn't really see an issue with this because it's up there on revenue.ie and its not any different to talking about a court case verdict(that happens all the time) but having thought about it this morning I'm no longer comfortable with it.

IMHO we don't need to discuss this in such detail. It kind of goes against the spirit of the forum to personally name people. A blanket OP on there was how ever many thousands of euro not paid by people last year from Waterford (and link to the website) would serve the same purpose without naming anyone.

Advertisement