Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Star DJ Tax defaulter

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ziedth wrote: »
    At first I didn't really see an issue with this because it's up there on revenue.ie and its not any different to talking about a court case verdict(that happens all the time) but having thought about it this morning I'm no longer comfortable with it.

IMHO we don't need to discuss this in such detail. It kind of goes against the spirit of the forum to personally name people. A blanket OP on there was how ever many thousands of euro not paid by people last year from Waterford (and link to the website) would serve the same purpose without naming anyone.

Why? Part of the punishment is to be named and shamed and to make use of social pressure to make sure it dosen't happen again.

These people had the choice as to whether to pay tax or not and made an express decision to evade and to turn their noses up at the state and rip off the public in general. Part of the problem with white collar crime is that it is seen as being "victimless" and sweeping it under the carpet does nothing to disabuse people of this opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm not saying it's not a crime and they shouldn't be named. What I'm getting at is do we the users of this forum really need to shine the spotlight on anyone? I don't think we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Why? Part of the punishment is to be named and shamed and to make use of social pressure to make sure it dosen't happen again.
    Well unless each of these people are regular boards members and visit the Waterford City forum AND look in this thread, then there is no social pressure on them and its simply posting up their details online.

Well unless each of these people are regular boards members and visit the Waterford City forum AND look in this thread, then there is no social pressure on them and its simply posting up their details online.

Do you think boards users don't talk to non-boards users? :rolleyes:

Do you think boards users don't talk to non-boards users? :rolleyes:
    Obviously, but I seriously doubt any of them talk about random people's tax status, where they live and what their job is. Would you walk right up to the person and ask them about their tax?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks

Obviously, but I seriously doubt any of them talk about random people's tax status, where they live and what their job is. Would you walk right up to the person and ask them about their tax?

Are you serious? Of course people talk about this sort of stuff all the time. "did you hear about X, I hear he got caught by the nackers by the revenue for 100k" ..."yeah, X is a c**t" etc.

Must just be other people then. I can honestly says I've never had or wanted to have a conversation about someones tax status. Leave it to them and the Revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Pity the government and the revenue weren’t so quick to chase the bankers and property developers that brought down this country, Oh and what about all the political donations giving over the years, was that taxed?? NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭mytime

I posted this as I always look for Waterford people or people I know in any of these lists be it 100 wealthiest or tax defaulters or even court cases in the Munster Express. It was not inteneded to be a witch hunt.
    Incidentally this list was published in Fridays Irish Times I dont have link to it but I have a copy at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

These people had the choice as to whether to pay tax or not and made an express decision to evade and to turn their noses up at the state and rip off the public in general. Part of the problem with white collar crime is that it is seen as being "victimless" and sweeping it under the carpet does nothing to disabuse people of this opinion.

I would suggest that anyone who gets an audit and have to pay out such a large sum of money will never default again. I believe that naming them on a public forum is personal. Sad really....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

MEOW YOONG
    KAM,
    JOSEPHINE8 O'CONNEL STREET,WATERFORD.RESTAURATEUR
    1,147,247.00Underdeclaration of Income Tax and VAT. Revenue Single Premium Insurance Products Case.

Who is this - its a lot of money.

Sure Revenue will waste it on teacher's pensions anyway so whoever did hold back on their taxes is right to hold that point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

MEOW YOONG
    KAM,
    1,147,247.00Underdeclaration of Income Tax and VAT. Revenue Single Premium Insurance Products Case.

mozattack wrote: »

Maxium House :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

MEOW YOONG
    KAM,

I hope that's not an extract from the menu:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Crispy cat in a plum sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Feck sake, what's boards for? I understand if we can't discuss something that might be libellous, but this is 100% verified. No-one should be blocked from discussing what's on the public record. Tax evasion is thieving from honest tax payers like me. I should know if someone is a tax evader, and hold a grudge against them for the rest of their natural lives. If people don't want to be talked about they should respect the law.
    I'd imagine it will take them a long time to get that 91k though. I mean this is tax he should have been paying for many years so I presume is well spent by now. So he'll either have to pay it off over a very long period of time, or I dunno, go to jail?

He can be forced to sell his house.

You're missing my point. I have no problem with his name on the website and I won't lose any sleep about it being here. But why stop with this? Why don't we start reproducing the court pages as well? Lets name and shame the people who had enough hash to roll 17 cigarettes...or the person who called a guard a pig when he was pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

You're missing my point. I have no problem with his name on the website and I won't lose any sleep about it being here. But why stop with this? Why don't we start reproducing the court pages as well? Lets name and shame the people who had enough hash to roll 17 cigarettes...or the person who called a guard a pig when he was pissed.

Could make for some interesting threads :D

But in fairness to Ricky, even within Waterford he one of the smaller evaders. Its just that he has a profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Must just be other people then. I can honestly says I've never had or wanted to have a conversation about someones tax status. Leave it to them and the Revenue.

Well the way I see it, anyone who doesn't pay their share of tax is stealing from me, you and every other honest person in the country.

So, if someone had been done for embezzling money from their colleagues, or for stealing / shoplifting, you wouldn't talk about that with anyone either?

You should run for president if you're truly that virtuous Mitch..! :p

You should run for president if you're truly that virtuous Mitch..! :p
    Given the shower we have running I'd probably win. :D

"Keep Calm and It'll Be Grand"

MITCH 2011

• Advertisement

Pity the government and the revenue weren’t so quick to chase the bankers and property developers that brought down this country, Oh and what about all the political donations giving over the years, was that taxed?? NO

Not sure what you wanted Revenue to do about the property developers? You do understand the function of Revenue yeah? To collect tax AFAIK... and, Oh look, here's some of what they collected from the builders / property developers in Quarter 2...

TURLEY, PAMELA - PROPERTY DEVELOPER - 174,307.27
    C. A. DEVELOPMENTS LTD. - PROPERTY DEVELOPERS - 722,037.00
    EASSDA IRELAND LTD. - PROPERTY DEVELOPERS - 3,639,901.58
    DOWDALL, KIERAN - BUILDER - 73,329.00
    ROGERS, RICHARD - BUILDING CONTRACTOR - 48,928.56
    HEALY, PATRICK - BUILDING CONTRACTOR / FARMER - 78,030.00
    KILMAC FORM WORK LTD. - BUILDING CONTRACTORS - 107,670.00

I'd imagine it will take them a long time to get that 91k though. I mean this is tax he should have been paying for many years so I presume is well spent by now. So he'll either have to pay it off over a very long period of time, or I dunno, go to jail?

It wouldn't be published if it wasn't already settled (i.e. fully paid, or in the process of being paid, over generally no longer than 2-3 years).

It wouldn't be published if it wasn't already settled (i.e. fully paid, or in the process of being paid, over generally no longer than 2-3 years).

Oh right. Very interesting. So if they went after someone and they couldn't pay their name would only end up on the site after they were imprisoned?

Oh right. Very interesting. So if they went after someone and they couldn't pay their name would only end up on the site after they were imprisoned?

Ummmm, I suppose! No, not really, you generally don't go to jail for these issues...

The point of the word settlement is that it is just that, the settlement... i.e. The amount of tax originally unpaid might actually be higher than what gets published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

this is turning into "nosy parkerism" at its worst...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

So, if I way claiming the dole & working, that would be ok?
    That would only work out at say €12K a year on top of what I
    could be potentially earning! Is that ok?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭fatherbuzcagney

He will have to avoid paying tax for many years to gather that sum or else go to jail and cost the country 10 times what he owes in tax. Its a tough one to figure out but there should be some other penalty/punishment for tax fraud other than jail .

Advertisement