Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ploughing- Fireworks and Underage Drinking!!!

• 18-09-2011 9:23pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

How is it that the youngsters are able to come home drunk each year with bag loads of bangers just in time for Halloween, and the organisers dont seem to notice? Or the gaurds too for that matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

I thought that there wasn't as much of that sort of behaviour last year.
    The guards seemed to be doing more than other years, they had a young lad face down on the road with 2 guards sitting on him when we were going in :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 JD7710

Was down wednesday and a crowd of young one's lit a banger and dropped in the middle of a crowd of people. Nothing seemed to be done about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

We were sitting in Rumbles, the full irish crowd, and a young lad came in white as a sheet, sat down and got sick on the floor. Obviously after a few too many. Security pulled him out but I felt bad for the girl left cleaning it :( she shouldn't have had to do that like. You could get fireworks up there as easily as you could get the plastic sticks. That crowd has ruined the ploughing for me. I just dont want to see the Tullamore show or the FTMTA Grass days go like it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Yeah, I think its amazing the messing that goes on there year in year out.

Surely there are a few plain clothes gaurds around the place who could at least sort out the hawkers flogging the illegal explosives fireworks!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of all we'll have a sermon on Crimecall next month warning of the dangers of fireworks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I spent 7 or 8 hours there Wenesday and nobody tried to sell me fireworks or get sick in my facinity, I saw plenty of young girls in hot pants but thats ok (spice of life).
    I enjoyed the day, the axe men, trashing, tractor building, and a lot more stuff that would take to long to write about, 20 euro is about right I think.
    I agree a map should be given out with each ticket though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

It has been two years since I last visited the ploughing championships. i went with my cousin and we were both around 30 years old at the time. We were offered fireworks left, right and center. However, I hadn't seen any underage drinking that I can recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Best laugh we had was at one of the food vans when we arrived..
    We decided that we'd start the day with a breakfast roll...yum

€7 for a roll and tea..

Handed the girl a €50, she rung it in as a €20, gave me the correct change and proceeded to stick €30 in her pocket when she thought no-one was looking.. ;)

This was a poor attempt at till rigging and I'm sure it would end i tears all round as the till will be down money at the end of the day...

I watched it being done correctly in a companey where I worked, contract canteen staff would teach you a thing or two...

Person on till, taps in your bill as normal, you give the money and they give you change, till is cleared and not closed, till up money as the transaction isn't recorded.. Continue to do this and when you're sure it's up more than say €20 you pocket €20, till will be up a little and no questions are really if the till is up a little.. One lady in particular would run this scam every night when not many senior staff were around. Nice easy sideline:)

Saw some underage drinking.... wasn't offered any fireworks.. maybe I don't look like a teenager any more :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

bbam wrote: »

I watched it being done correctly in a companey where I worked, contract canteen staff would teach you a thing or two...

Person on till, taps in your bill as normal, you give the money and they give you change, till is cleared and not closed, till up money as the transaction isn't recorded.. Continue to do this and when you're sure it's up more than say €20 you pocket €20, till will be up a little and no questions are really if the till is up a little.. One lady in particular would run this scam every night when not many senior staff were around. Nice easy sideline:)

Saw some underage drinking.... wasn't offered any fireworks.. maybe I don't look like a teenager any more :(

The 'scam' only covers the till side. What about the missing stock?

It could only work in a canteen type setting where the 'stock', ie the food, has to be portioned out of a chaffing dish. Any discrepancy in missing food could be fobbed off by putting down to it having been badly portioned out.

Just in case anyone starts getting any ideas!!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

have never been offered fireworks..must be the grey hair that frightens them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Muckit wrote: »
    The 'scam' only covers the till side. What about the missing stock?

It could only work in a canteen type setting where the 'stock', ie the food, has to be portioned out of a chaffing dish. Any discrepancy in missing food could be fobbed off by putting down to it having been badly portioned out.

Just in case anyone starts getting any ideas!!:rolleyes:

Bingo..
    Was in a large canteen..

• Advertisement
Advertisement