Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHS Stage 2 Training

Options
  • 18-09-2011 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have my BHS Stage 1 Riding and Care. And BHS Riding and Road Safety got both of these exams in college in Enniskillen. Im now finished college and living in north lenister. Would any you lovely people know of where I could get the suitable training needed for the stage 2 exams?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mothoin

Depends,

are you looking to fund it yourself, through another job and pay for lectures? or are you looking to become a working student to get through the exams?

www.fas.ie

they run a course, you are too late for this years intake in ballyfermot, they also have a course in finglas, ring the centres directly and ask for the people in charge of the admin for the course, its pointless going into the offices as the people in theree will just fob off, saying long waiting lists etc, next intake in ballyfermot will be in feb or march

otherwise throught the paid route, pm me and i can forward you details of good instructors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

The FAS route is cheapest (i.e free for jobseekers), however, the course itself is pretty useless for anyone with any knowledge of horses.

A friend of mine did it, and told me it was useless. You don't get your BHS qualifications from the course. You do the course, then apply to do the exams yourself, separately. You do pay for the exams yourself (though I think jobseekers may be able to get the cost of the exams back).

She told me she learned nothing in the classroom period and learned less while out on work experience. Really, it was just an opportunity to practice what she already knew. She said it would only be of benefit for people with little to no experience with horses, or people who didn't have the contacts or courage to approach local yards and ask to help out there in order to gain the experience and practice they need for the exams.

She also said she learned nothing about actual instructing, she only watched lessons being given, which anyone can do simply by arriving at a riding school while lessons are in progress. It was really just yard work, which she could have done herself at home.

Admittedly, that's only one person's experience of the course, but it was enough to put me off it.

You may be able to find a local livery yard or riding school who will let you help out part time and practice your skills (there are always people looking for free labour).

Alternatively, as Moithin said, you can pay for the training yourself. Balcultry Stables in Swords offer training, as do Brennanstown Riding Centre and (I think) Callighstown Riding Centre.

Most centres which hold exams will do training of some sort. It's usually best to do your training in the yard you'll do the exam in, as you'll know the layout and horses and it will be less daunting on exam day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I went the fas route about 3 years ago and had a totally different experience, I dont know if its changed since though.
    When I did it I spent 3 weeks in ballyfermot doing health and safety and computers, then went out to a yard on a list fas gave me. I organised the position myself, through interviews etc. We got lectures and lessons, as well as practical experience, and teaching/coaching under instruction and on our own.
    the only part fas had to do was the three weeks, then the training was down to the yard.
    most of the yards mentioned by JennaJameson did the Fas scheme then, and Ive heard good things about most.
    The course is tough as you are expected to work for your training, and obviously its not 9-5 hours, the pay isnt fantastic either, its a training wage so its less then minimun wage, but its better than paying for tuition.
    all my exams were paid for, including one repeat. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JennaJameson

Maybe it has changed, I dunno, I haven't done it so I'm not entirely qualified to comment, I'm just passing on what she said.

I remember looking into it myself (before talking to my friend), I rang the FAS office in Ballyfermot, and the other one which is only offering the course since this year (Tralee, if I remember correctly?) and asked where I could do the placement because I live in Cavan, and my family is in Galway. Paying for rent while working wouldn't be possible.

I asked if they had a list of places that were approved for offering the placements and they told me no, they'd arrange it, it would be in Dublin, or in Tralee or wherever, and that was that.

That was really when I decided I couldn't do it. To pay rent in Dublin, and work, and eat, and pay for the car etc etc etc out of just my dole, plus whatever meagre training extra they give (assume it's €50 seeing as that's what they offer with the Jobbridge thing), just wasn't possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I'm based in cork, so was in the same situation re having to travel.
    I stayed in the yard I trained in, and was charged very little rent (€75). Fas paid me €220, and €50 rent allowence, so my rent allowence +€25 went to my boss and the rest was into my pocket for food etc. The figures are all from 3 years ago tho so don't quote me on them!!
    I know a couple of people who did the scheme last year in the same yard, and had a similiar situation worked out.
    I actually rang the yard first, who put me in touch with fas, who then told me I had to use an approved yard. when I gave them the name they said that was no problem. So that might be the way to go if you're thinking of the FAS route OP.
    If you want info on what yard I did it in PM me, but I think the best way is to talk to a few yards you like the look of and see what they can do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭loopyloulilly

Thanks for all the replies

@JennaJameson Unfortunately I'm not eligible for the dole so the Fas course is out. I'm living in north Longford to drive to Balcultry Stables in Swords or Brennanstown Riding Centre or Callighstown Riding Centre. You wouldn't know of any other equestrian centres near hand?

@TG1 Cheers for the info. Much appreciated :D A bit far since I'm based in Longford. Have a few youngsters in so can't stay over night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 divagirl

if not qualifited for dole you can stilll do the fas course in an approved yard, you just dont get the 220 jobseeker allowance paid to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 champie

I'm living not to far from you in south Leitrim op I did my stage 2 a good few yrs ago but I studied the care section at home myself and went and did 3 or 4 lessons in the yard where I was taking my exam just to get layout of place and the sort of horses they had then went to as many different yards as I could and rode as many different horses as posssible. The most difficult part of stage 2 care in the lungeing the rest of it is really common sense I got a fab book "Stage two" by Hazel Reed everything you need to know for exam is in there and go to some local stables and tell instructor that you intend to do your stage 2 any instructor worth going to will help you out. If you want any help private message me

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

Hi Guys,

I have my BHS Stage 1 Riding and Care. And BHS Riding and Road Safety got both of these exams in college in Enniskillen. Im now finished college and living in north lenister. Would any you lovely people know of where I could get the suitable training needed for the stage 2 exams?

Thanks in advance :)

Thornton Park, Swords starting Stage 2 in Feb ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭stargirl!

i did one of the evening courses in TP a while ago and found them to be quite old fashioned and didnt follow the most recent syllabus at the time, what course did you do in enniskillen? most likely you will have more than enough done already to pass stage 2 care, just need to read over notes you have from there until it is second nature.
    in relation to the riding you just need to go to an approved instructor, try out a few to make sure you find the right one in relation to your overall goal, ie. if you wish to progress onto stage 3 you might get an instructor with experience above this level,
    if you have any questions on the exams or syllabus, or training feel free to drop me a pm :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭BaileyPants

stargirl! wrote: »

i did one of the evening courses in TP a while ago and found them to be quite old fashioned and didnt follow the most recent syllabus at the time, what course did you do in enniskillen? most likely you will have more than enough done already to pass stage 2 care, just need to read over notes you have from there until it is second nature.
    in relation to the riding you just need to go to an approved instructor, try out a few to make sure you find the right one in relation to your overall goal, ie. if you wish to progress onto stage 3 you might get an instructor with experience above this level,
    if you have any questions on the exams or syllabus, or training feel free to drop me a pm :)

Hi. I did the stage 1 in TP earlier this year & am starting stage 2 in Feb. I didn't do anything in Enniskerry, the girl who started this thread did. Where did you do your course that you thought had better content?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Castle Leslie in Monaghan now do BHS training for stage 1 & 2, Ravensdale in Dundalk is another place that would closer to you than Dublin.

Advertisement