Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decreasing noise from my window

• 18-09-2011 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

I really know nothing about DIY.
    I'm currently living in an apartment which is by a road and it gets fairly noisy in my room.
    I was just wondering if you would have any advice or materials I could use to decrease the level of noise by my window?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

I know nothing about DIY either, but until you get it fixed- ear plugs. They're a bout a euro, made of foam and work great when you're trying to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jameshealy19

i have ear-plugs, doesn't do enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

You say it's your windows - If single glazing, go double. If double, consider triple glazing? Also, maybe heavier curtains might help, along with more soft furnishings like rugs and that.

TBH it's kinda hard to say - the sound could be travelling through the walls, through vents, through the window panes, or through other parts of the structure. Could be a big job, without any guarantees - you may need to pay for professional advice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

+1 Prender
    secondary glazing could be a solution. Ive seen it in a couple of hotels where they were required to retain a certain exterior look..

Advertisement