Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midleton - Suggestions for things to do

Options
  • 18-09-2011 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'll be heading up to Midleton with the OH on the 1st of October for a night. Apart from the Jameson distillery(is it worth going?), what other things should we do/see?

I was looking at Fota and the Cobh museum. Are they easily/cheaply accessible from Midleton using public transport?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Fota Is Great fun. well recommended....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

Attol wrote: »
    Hi,

I'll be heading up to Midleton with the OH on the 1st of October for a night. Apart from the Jameson distillery(is it worth going?), what other things should we do/see?

I was looking at Fota and the Cobh museum. Are they easily/cheaply accessible from Midleton using public transport?

Thanks!

ohh ehh don't think they have a train service! Jameson is a change if anything Fota is great and don't think its to far from Midleton

A few nice bars its grand but ehh don't expect much

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

If you do drop into Cobh, check out Gilberts for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,280 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Hi,

Thanks!

You can get to Fota & Cobh by train from Midleton but you need to change trains at Glounthaune. Check out the times of the trains on irishrail.ie because there can be big gaps between the trains at Glounthaune.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

Hi,

Thanks!

Midleton only really has the distillery as it's main tourist attraction. There are couple of walks around the outskirts of the town but anything else would need a car. Cobh, Fota and Midleton are all on the rail network but you would need to look at the timetables to make sure you don't have a long wait on the platform as there tends to be only one train an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Hi , Just saw this. As luck would have it, i'm sitting alongside a buddy from midleton at the mo. Asked him about it, and his answer -
    "There's fcuk all to do in midleton".

I think you're goosed without a car.
    If you have one, head to garryvoe/ballycotton for a walk along the beaches/ cliffs. Nice this time of year. Just be wrapped up warm !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I have to agree , I grew up in Midleton and the most interesting thing I found there was the bus stop out of the place.

Jameson heritage center , a couple of half decent restaurants, other than that its just all pubs.
    Its a weird "inbetween" town , too small to be an attraction of itself , like kilarney and too big to be just a quaint little village.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

You can grab the train as far as Glounthane and transfer there to the train to Fota/Cobh, fota's a great day out and Cobh has a couple of nice walks, the heritage centre, museum (closes for winter afaik) the cathedral and if there is a liner in the atmosphere can be great.
    Oh other than the distillery there is an awesome fish and chipper called Chouhanes, its on the main street 2/3's of the way towards the distillert, they only do fish, chips, batter sausages and potato pies but it all tastes amazing! Anyway best of luch with it OP hope you have a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭wispyman

http://www.portofcork.ie/index.cfm/page/cruiseschedule2010 <- yes I know it says 2010 but that really is the correct link!!

According to this there was a Liner in Cobh yesterday and then the next one is December :eek:

So no luck there I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

spoofilyj wrote: »
    You can grab the train as far as Glounthane and transfer there to the train to Fota/Cobh, fota's a great day out and Cobh has a couple of nice walks, the heritage centre, museum (closes for winter afaik) the cathedral and if there is a liner in the atmosphere can be great.
    Oh other than the distillery there is an awesome fish and chipper called Chouhanes, its on the main street 2/3's of the way towards the distillert, they only do fish, chips, batter sausages and potato pies but it all tastes amazing! Anyway best of luch with it OP hope you have a laugh.

Eh don't go to Keohanes, it hasn't been nice in a decade. The chippers in Midleton are pretty bad full stop, better off getting a proper meal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement