Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf creep feeder for a Quad?

• 18-09-2011 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of such a product that can be bought or would it have to be a homemade job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

do you mean one that would be on wheels that you could tow with quad?
    it would be too heavy id say, ive seen pics of very large ones that can be towed by tractor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

just lift your electric wire a bit and use an ordinary trough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

do you mean one that would be on wheels that you could tow with quad?
    it would be too heavy id say, ive seen pics of very large ones that can be towed by tractor

hi vander,

yep something not too big that i could tow short distances with quad,,, ... wouldnt mind seeing any photos/diagrams/links to adapted ones or ones on wheels that i could get ideas from.. if wheels could let up/down easily for stability etc.

49801 wrote: »

wont go under the regular white electric fence stakes wire height anyways might try a section of higher timber stakes... they fair size now too feb/march calves plus cows are savages when they smell anything tasty:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Bodacious wrote: »
    wont go under the regular white electric fence stakes wire height anyways might try a section of higher timber stakes... they fair size now too feb/march calves plus cows are savages when they smell anything tasty:)

I have a couple of creep gates which let the calves go ahead of the cows - normally put a through in with them and they're able to eat their fill at that.

A creep is necessary for younger calves, but if they are strong, they will have no problem working through the creep gate and eating out of the trough.

• Advertisement

reilig wrote: »

I have a couple of creep gates which let the calves go ahead of the cows - normally put a through in with them and they're able to eat their fill at that.

A creep is necessary for younger calves, but if they are strong, they will have no problem working through the creep gate and eating out of the trough.

thanks reilig and I might get a couple of those gates for next year as sound very handy so long as cows don't buckle themselves trying to squeeze through !

If I get a chance before weekend I might try few timber stakes/electric and small regular trough to see would I get them started... Tried few of them earlier in the year and they were not over keen more concerned to get back to the cows

thanks reilig and I might get a couple of those gates for next year as sound very handy so long as cows don't buckle themselves trying to squeeze through !

If I get a chance before weekend I might try few timber stakes/electric and small regular trough to see would I get them started... Tried few of them earlier in the year and they were not over keen more concerned to get back to the cows

i find here that when they are in a block of fields only separated by a single strand of wire they go under all the time without lifting it at all. some will creep all the time others wont at all. they do seem to creep better the barer the field is. On the other hand they rarely creep under the wire at a gap when there is a ditch separating the fields. proper creep feeders are well over a 1000e so i am happy to put up a strand of temporary wire to get them creeping.;) The likes of the jfc corrie trough are a lot liter to be moving around too.

49801 wrote: »

I tried as you said there tonight (see pic attached) my poor cows were drooling to get at it but no calf chanced it under the wire yet.... maybe they will catch on!:)

I tried as you said there tonight (see pic attached) my poor cows were drooling to get at it but no calf chanced it under the wire yet.... maybe they will catch on!:)

it does take more than one day for a calf to find the creep weather its in a fancy dancy creep feeder or just the other side of a wire.
    I would take the rest of your 2nd strand away. I do think it kinda helps to place the trough near high traffic areas such as near a water trough.
    getting your calves to spend more time away from the mother on the best quality grass is more important than getting them to eat nuts IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jim420

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

jim420 wrote: »

Nice job that.
    I see you have vermin protection installed in the JD 6610:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jim420

Bizzum wrote: »
    Nice job that.
    I see you have vermin protection installed in the JD 6610:D

cheers,
    yea he's the part time driver.does the full turf season in the machines:D