Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle but don't commute by bike -- why not?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I can't stop thinking about comuting to work on the bike. I live 22.5km from my work place and have a plan on buying a second hand bike to do the job efficiently. I will have to cycle on a National Road mainly. I direct myself towards an aluminium sports/racing bike or a touring bike with skinny tires. I believe I would need to fit mudguards and maybe a rack.
    What would you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

Khannie wrote: »
    Train commute and bike commute times aren't that different for me but when I add in the shower etc the cycle is much longer overall. Doesn't stop me though.
    But surely you'd have a shower anyway? It's just that you have it at the other end instead. There's an extra one on the way home but even then I'd be getting changed out of the suit so it's a matter of a couple of minutes.

And that's before you count the time saved by not having to go to the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

have to agree with previous posters re commuting day in day out.

started last year with a few days a week (12km each way), less than 30mins on bike, close to an hour in car.

have been doing it every day since, and i've sold my car now since it was our second car and was sitting in the underground carpark from one end of the week to the next.

just hoping i don't get injured in the next while!

feel far better for it, actually miss it if for any reason i don't get a daily cycle in, and have now started extending the trip to about 25k each way.

baby wipes and a towel down in a tiny bathroom at back of shop hasn't put me off (nor have i received any comments from colleagues, and i'm a sweaty git)

once you're prepared with change of clothes and a tactic or two for cleaning off don't think there's any excuse over a short distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭lennymc

100k round trip is too far, but ive done it a few times. not too bad in the summer.

edit. just checked the forecast. might cycle in tomorrow...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

It's less than 2km each way for me to ride, so i should but don't as i need my car most days to do home visits to my clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

But surely you'd have a shower anyway? It's just that you have it at the other end instead. There's an extra one on the way home but even then I'd be getting changed out of the suit so it's a matter of a couple of minutes.

Yeah, true enough. I just find the arsing around with packing a bag, getting changed etc. does add time overall.
    And that's before you count the time saved by not having to go to the gym.

Fair point and I do take that into consideration. It's a very handy way of using commute time for exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I cycle most days out of sheer laziness... well its only <5km into city and its about 30mins quicker than the bus, so i can stay in bed longer and get to the gym quicker after work before the late evening hunger sets in. Tho if i don't cycle its usually in extreme weather or i know i'm going out after work in which case i don't want to leave the bike locked up in public overnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I have about 26 km each way more or less and it doesn't bother me to go with the bike when i see no rain.. it strikes me that the weather is only the last or second last reason people have chosen so far in their poll! :confused:

Today I also came with the bike and now - being wet out there - the bike is all dirty... have to wash it again!!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Live in Monaghan - work in Zurich so too far to bike! On a course at the moment but once I start properly in Zurich, might ride in and out - have to wait and see where I end up living

What are doing in Zurich, I have been thinking about a move to Swiss?

• Advertisement
Advertisement