Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Lennox

• 18-09-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Dont know if any of you have heard the sad story about the pit bull cross (Lennox) who was taken from his family in Belfast in May 2010 because he 'looked' like a pit bull. The family had this dog for 5 years since he was a pup, and have done everything by the letter of the law, including having him chipped, neutered and having an up to date dog licence. This poor dog has never harmed anyone, and is a much loved family pet but he is currently being held by Belfast City Council in appalling conditions until a decision is made on whether or not he should be put down. The courts are due to resume on the 23rd of Sept to decide his fate. There is an on line petition running to save poor Lennox which has over 88.000 signatures from all over the world and they are trying to reach the 100k mark before the court date in the hope the powers that be will take note. Please help save poor Lennox, neither he nor his family have done anything wrong, and this is bureaucracy gone mad.
    http://www.savelennoxpetition.co.uk/

See also his story on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Save-Lennox/125005200853097

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Markmcl wrote: »
    Dont know if any of you have heard the sad story about the pit bull cross (Lennox) who was taken from his family in Belfast in May 2010 because he 'looked' like a pit bull. The family had this dog for 5 years since he was a pup, and have done everything by the letter of the law, including having him chipped, neutered and having an up to date dog licence. This poor dog has never harmed anyone, and is a much loved family pet but he is currently being held by Belfast City Council in appalling conditions until a decision is made on whether or not he should be put down. The courts are due to resume on the 23rd of Sept to decide his fate. There is an on line petition running to save poor Lennox which has over 88.000 signatures from all over the world and they are trying to reach the 100k mark before the court date in the hope the powers that be will take note. Please help save poor Lennox, neither he nor his family have done anything wrong, and this is bureaucracy gone mad.
    http://www.savelennoxpetition.co.uk/

See also his story on facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Save-Lennox/125005200853097

Is the ban in the north for just pure bred pitbulls or is it also for pitbull crosses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

It covers any dog that may be considered 'type' so anything at all that they think even looks like there might be Pitbull in it and also the Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliero.

http://www.dardni.gov.uk/index/faq/dangerous-dogs-questions.htm

Thanks toulouse. so is is right in saying these breeds have been banned since 1991?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ppink wrote: »
    Thanks toulouse. so is is right in saying these breeds have been banned since 1991?

They're not outright banned, as such.
    There was a little amendment made to the 1991 Dangerous Dogs (NI) Order which made it possible not only for owners to seek to have their dogs removed from "custody" as long as they fulfilled certain conditions, but also to allow people to keep dogs "of type" as long as they are neutered, microchipped, muzzled and on-lead in public, and kept in a secure premises when not in public.
    I'm assuming it's under this amendment Act that the owners are fighting Lennox's cause?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Markmcl

DBB wrote: »
    They're not outright banned, as such.
    There was a little amendment made to the 1991 Dangerous Dogs (NI) Order which made it possible not only for owners to seek to have their dogs removed from "custody" as long as they fulfilled certain conditions, but also to allow people to keep dogs "of type" as long as they are neutered, microchipped, muzzled and on-lead in public, and kept in a secure premises when not in public.
    I'm assuming it's under this amendment Act that the owners are fighting Lennox's cause?

Lennox was neutered, microchipped, muzzled and always on a lead in public. The family even ensured his licence was renewed annually. This family treat their dogs very well while also fostering for local rescue centres. It seems the wardens came to their home to take him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Lennox isn't a pitbull, he's an american bulldog cross. There isn't a clearly defined breed standard for a pitbull so it means in the north any 'bullie' looking dogs can be defined as being 'pitbull type' and siezed. It's an absolute disgrace.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1991/2292/article/3/made

I tried to copy and paste but it would not work.So what I am reading here is Article 25A (3) which basically says no one can own one of these "types" after 30th November 1991.

Is it part 12 then that they are arguing their case under?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ppink wrote: »
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/nisi/1991/2292/article/3/made

I tried to copy and paste but it would not work.So what I am reading here is Article 25A (3) which basically says no one can own one of these "types" after 30th November 1991.

Is it part 12 then that they are arguing their case under?

The 1991 Bill you've quoted was amended by the Dogs (Amendment) Act (NI) 2001. Sorry I can't provide a direct link, I'm posting from my phone!
    The 2001 Act is the act you'll need to look up to find what I assume is the legislation under which lennox's case is being fought.
    There's a good site that explains the legislation and the history behind the banning of breeds, www.endangereddogs.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Markmcl

If Northern Ireland were to complete the dog legislation as in the UK then Lennox could now be at home with his family and there would be no need to put this poor dog and his brave family, who have fought to save him for well over a year now, through this nightmare. The USPCA said the law in Northern Ireland could be changed simply and quickly by an order in the Council, why the delay? There are now over 90,000 signatures on the petition from all over the world, and they are hoping to make it as close to the 100k as possible before the case resumes on Friday.

www.savelennoxpetition.co.uk

Court case was today. They Lost :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Court case was today. They Lost :(
    Just heard aswell. UNBELIEVABLE!! He didnt stand a chance poor fella :mad::mad::mad:

Belfast Telegraph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I find it disturbing that this can happen to a happy/healthy/ balanced dog just because of "type" and no other cause!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Its ridiculous that this dog has to be put down but I blame a lot of it on the owners. They handled it the wrong way.

Poor lennox. When is this going to happen or can they appeal again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Its ridiculous that this dog has to be put down but I blame a lot of it on the owners. They handled it the wrong way.

? How do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

@ The Sweeper:
    The Dog Warden has received Death Threats :(

TillyGirl wrote: »

Poor lennox. When is this going to happen or can they appeal again?

From what i heard , they were duped .

Advertisement