Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bore-Snakes And Moderators

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one lads, is it ok to run a bore snake through a moderator to clean it or are they just really only to be used inside a barrel ?
    I got one yesterday and it has these little wires that I suppose loosens the more stubborn dirt in the barrel but are they ok to pull through a moderator ?

Thanks lads.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

vixdname wrote: »
    Just a quick one lads, is it ok to run a bore snake through a moderator to clean it or are they just really only to be used inside a barrel ?
    I got one yesterday and it has these little wires that I suppose loosens the more stubborn dirt in the barrel but are they ok to pull through a moderator ?

as far as I know, they are fine to pull through a moderator.

Most folk soak them (the moderator) in WD40 and drip dry them but if you can take it apart and clean the baffles with a brush, degreaser and WD or gun oil, all the better.

Only time I was ever told a bad thing about a bore snake was when a guy told me they damage the crown on a good barrel but I dont know if that is possible as they dont seem any more aggressive than a rod and brush and i have not come across an tests that confirmed that.

But I dont know much about it and only use a dewey rod and bronze brush, some patches and a variety or copper, carbon, degreasers, etc. on my barrel...........................not that i ever get to shoot enough to get it dirty.

I think you would be safe enough. But there are plenty folk here with far more experience.

Hope you enjoy the moderator :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You'll be wasting you'r time pulling a boresnake through a moderator as you will only be cleaning the bore and not the baffels,and it's the baffels that can clog up, a moderator should be taken apart and soaked in a de-greaser and then scrubbed.But you will cause no harm by pulling it through the moderator while attached to the gun.Personally myself i'd take off the moderator when using one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You won't do any harm to the mod by leaving it on, but as said you also won't clean it. The mod basffles are designed to be ever so slightly larger than the caliber of rifle its on, and is not rifled itself so makes no contact with the bullet.

From a cleaning point of view the mod should be cleaned regularly, and so too should the threads on the rifle and mod. Remove any fouling and apply a small amount of grease, preferably copper based, to the threads before re-attaching the mod. Also another tip, as you probably already know, don't leave the mod on. Take it off when the rifle is not in use.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Depends on the mod, the only thing that cleans my ASE S5 Mod is the next round, stainless steel baby yeah!

I would not dream of such talk with a steel Reflex mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

The best I found to clean it was a 12g Brush or mop on a rod soaked in WD 40 run it through a few times, perfect fit, on my 308

• Advertisement
Advertisement