Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French/German Abinitio

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey!

I'm repeating 6th year this year, and I want to go college next year, and the course I want to do requires a third language.

I just want to know, does anybody know if you can take French Abinitio as a substitute, instead of having to take the actual subject? As I am severely poor at both Irish and French and I really feel I'm incapable of learning both languages as well as my other subjects.

I was told I could by a teacher in my school, but a different one told me I couldn't, would appreciate if there was anyone who could shed some light, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I just want to know, does anybody know if you can take French Abinitio as a substitute, instead of having to take the actual subject?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean when starting basic French when you start college? I imagine most language courses in college expect you to have the basics.

Some colleges have different entry requirements to others - this may be the confusion between the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hey!

I'm repeating 6th year this year, and I want to go college next year, and the course I want to do requires a third language.

I just want to know, does anybody know if you can take French Abinitio as a substitute, instead of having to take the actual subject? As I am severely poor at both Irish and French and I really feel I'm incapable of learning both languages as well as my other subjects.

I was told I could by a teacher in my school, but a different one told me I couldn't, would appreciate if there was anyone who could shed some light, thanks in advance :)
    I don't think many colleges offer French ab initio tbh, as a very large proportion of students take French at LC.

It's more common with languages like Spanish and Italian, which students will often take up as a first year course at college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean when starting basic French when you start college? I imagine most language courses in college expect you to have the basics.

Some colleges have different entry requirements to others - this may be the confusion between the teachers.

Are you familiar with LCVP? Students who qualify for LCVP, but students are exempt from languages etc do French ab initio in order to fulfill the language requirement for LCVP. I don't do LCVP, but I'm wondering if its possible for one to do an ab initio version of a third language instead of doing the actual subject and if it would still qualify as a third language requirement for colleges? :)

Thanks for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ah, ok. We're all at cross-purposes, I thought you were talking about taking it up in first year in college.

The honest answer is that I don't know; I'm doubtful, but I haven't encountered that one before.

Have you asked your Guidance Counsellor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rashmaster3000

Ahaha xD I wouldn't ever dream of doing a language at college, not my forte at all :P

Thats okay though. I haven't had a chance to talk to the guidance councillor yet, I'm still relatively new to the school and slightly shy :P so I thought I'd try my chances online first!

I guess though, I'll talk to him tomorrow about it, thanks again :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement