Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying rent question

Options
  • 18-09-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I recently moved into a flat where I am to pay my rent every four weeks. The landlord was due to collect the rent last Friday and never showed up. In my rent book he has written the rent is to be collected "every fourth Friday on or before 1pm". (Last Friday was the first 'fourth Friday')

I now wish to pay the rent into the landlords bank account. I will certainly strongly suggest this whenever he does show up to get his rent but how forcefully can I suggest this payment option? I can't outright demand to pay via the bank as I don't have his bank details.

What is my course of action if he outright declines to be paid through the bank? Can he demand to be paid in cash, even if he doesn't show up when he says he will?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is there an element of confusion here? Are you really meant to pay rent monthly and it is paid on the fourth Friday of the month. Friday 16 September was the third Friday.

You could give him a cheque / bank draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm sure that's not it, I'm looking at the Rent Book here and in the section "How & When rent is payable" he's written "Every four weeks, in advance as cash payment in rent book collected on or before 1pm every fourth Friday" and inside the Rent Book he's written dates and the rent is written as due on the 16th.

A cheque or bank draft is a good idea, that would at least save me from having to keep a couple of hundred euro out on the counter every day until he comes to get it. But I would really rather lodge it into a bank account, that way no-one has to enter the property. I have no problem with a landlord coming in to collect rent - as long as he sticks to the agreed time/day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There are only 4 weeks in the month of February, if you did make a payment literally every 4 weeks then that's 13 payments per year, not 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I'd be wary that he isn't signed up with the PRTB, if he wants to be paid in cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

reallyrose wrote: »
    I'd be wary that he isn't signed up with the PRTB, if he wants to be paid in cash.

That's okay, reallyrose, I got a registration letter from the PRTB so it's all above board.

• Advertisement
Advertisement