Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fondant Icing

Options
  • 19-09-2011 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

I want to make cupcakes for Hallowe'en that use roll-out fondant icing for the decoration. I really don't like any ready-roll stuff I've ever tasted. There's a recipe for fondant icing in the book I'll be using for the cupcakes but I'm not sure if it will be rollable or too liquidy.

The ingredients are:
    450g icing sugar
    1 large egg white
    30g liquid glycerine
    1tsp vanilla/almond extract

So, does anyone have any idea whether this would set enough to be rolled, or at least pliable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

I would not use this recipe as it uses a raw egg white. It is not safe from the Food Safety point of view. For the people who do not like ready-made fondant I would advice just to remove it before eating. That is the easiest way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't like ready rolled either the Dr Oetker (sp?) ready rolled coloured icing really smells and couldn't even eat it it's not nice at all. Have you tried the Sugar Craft brand one, I've eaten the blue one before and it wasn't all that bad.

Perhaps another alternative could be to colour white marzipan, you can get the ready rolled stuff. Kitchencompliments.ie have the colour pastes to colour them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

• 1 and ½ sachet of powdered gelatine (about 15g)
    • 80g/ml water (If using leaf gelatine use 5 leaves and soak in water before use as usual)
    • 30g of white vegetable fat (plus some extra)
    • 120g of liquid glucose
    • 850g icing sugar
    • some extract of choice and colour of choice
    1. Put the sieved icing sugar in a mixer bowl and fit machine with a dough hook (You can make this by hand too, use cornflour for dusting)
    2. Warm the glucose and fat over a low heat until the fat has dissolved
    3. Mix together the water and gelatin, simmer to dissolve (don’t boil)
    4. With the mixer running on low speed add the glucose and fat and gelaine and water.
    5. Add any colour or extract.
    6. When the mixture starts to come together you can increase the speed a little.
    7. When it has come together nicely (add more colour or some more icing sugar as necessary) remove from the mixer
    8. If using straight away dust surface with cornflour and knead the icing breifly then use as usual, if planning to use later, rub the surface with softened vegetable fat (this will prevent the outside hardening) and wrap in cling.
    [/SIZE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Hi. Believe me you would be better off using the ready rolled fondant, a lot lot easier and lighter on your pocket, less time consuming too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Shamrock stuff doesn't taste too bad, and as DreamC said just pull it off, that's what I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

google recipes for marshmallow fondant, tastes far nicer. If you want to use egg white you can get "Two Chicks" in Dunnes, it's a carton of pasteurised egg white, find it near the cream. Solves the raw egg white issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

To be honest, the raw egg wouldn't bother me. I've often had/made mousse which uses raw eggs too.

Guess I'll just have to try it and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Yellow97

I use the dr oetker purely for decoration, I wouldn't expect anyone to eat it. A few months ago I made my own by simply mixing icing sugar & water to a paste. I mixed by hand so you can feel when it's ready to roll. It worked a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Hi Namurt

I have done loads of testing on this (I have/had a small bakery). Its a pain to make - it is too heavy for most mixers - you need an industrial sized one really to make more than a kilo.

The Marshmallow recipe that was suggested is much easier and tastes far better too. IMO

You need white marshmallows, place in bowl with about a table spoon of water to one bag, into the microwave to melt it. Then add twice the amount of seived icing sugar (half at at time) and kneed like your life depended on it.

Or you can get Covapaste at Musgraves if you have a card or know anyone that does, or that one that Decobake sells (cant remember the name) are both better tasting than that slimy stuff that you buy in supermarkets.

PS - unless you are selling your produce I wouldn't worry about raw egg white either - I eat it all the time myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

So, I finally tried it. When I had the icing sugar and egg white mixed it seemed to be the right consistency but I was afraid it might dry out too crumbly so I added in the glycerine (assuming this was what would make it stretchy). It made it a bit too sticky so I just added a bit more icing sugar until it was workable. Was really pleased with how it turned out and it tasted so much better than the ready roll stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Love the marshmallow idea! Might try that myself, got a big bag of white marshmallows from Aldi yonks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Yellow97

How long do you put it in the microwave for?
    Animord wrote: »
    Hi Namurt

I have done loads of testing on this (I have/had a small bakery). Its a pain to make - it is too heavy for most mixers - you need an industrial sized one really to make more than a kilo.

The Marshmallow recipe that was suggested is much easier and tastes far better too. IMO

You need white marshmallows, place in bowl with about a table spoon of water to one bag, into the microwave to melt it. Then add twice the amount of seived icing sugar (half at at time) and kneed like your life depended on it.

Or you can get Covapaste at Musgraves if you have a card or know anyone that does, or that one that Decobake sells (cant remember the name) are both better tasting than that slimy stuff that you buy in supermarkets.

PS - unless you are selling your produce I wouldn't worry about raw egg white either - I eat it all the time myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FraochNM

For covering cakes with ready to roll icing, is there an alternative to using marzipan? Nobody in my family likes it!

Yellow97 wrote: »
    How long do you put it in the microwave for?

Just long enough for it to melt.

See here for full recipe.

Don't worry about recipes that say you have to have mini marshmallows - the big ones work fine.

To get a white fondant obviously you need to ditch the pink ones, but to be honest when I am making coloured fondant I usually just chuck them all in (rather than waste them). You need to make your own call on whether your colour will cover the pinkness.

FraochNM wrote: »
    For covering cakes with ready to roll icing, is there an alternative to using marzipan? Nobody in my family likes it!

What kind of cake are you making? I know that some professional cake makers will cover with a double layer of fondant which does give you the improved finish that marzipan gives. Some just leave it out, and some just let the people eating it pick it off!

Or if you are covering a sponge type cake you can increase the layer of buttercream you are using. However you need to be careful with this because you can end up with bulges all over the place if the room is warm.

Advertisement