Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Server 2003 SBS Pop Email Login Problem

Options
  • 19-09-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,

I have an issue here wrecking my head! I had an image of my Dell Poweredge Server running Windows Server 2003 SBS and it failed early last week. I imaged a new machine from the server image and got the few bits of different hardware drivers that were needed installed and working away.

All client users can log into the domain and access the shared server storage just as before but I cannot get the email accounts in Outlook 2003 to receive email and keep getting prompted for the user details every time I try a send/receive mail.

Using one of the email accounts, I have changed the email password on the server and tried connecting with that at the client end, but still no joy.

Outlook can see the incoming local mailserver but cannot log onto it. Outgoing mail works fine but thats because it is using mail1.eircom.net.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I have a number of unhappy users to satisfy at the minute!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are there any pop login events being recorded in the server's event log?

From a client machine, can you try telnetting manually into the server from an XP machine, and see what errors you get?

start > run > cmd
    telnet yourservername.local 110

user SomeNonAdminUsername
    pass userspassword
    stat
    quit

http://techhelp.santovec.us/pop3telnet.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Kind of sharing the feelings,sorry to hear that !

First call will be to check the status of your Exchange IS:
    -check in Exchange Manager if Mailbox Store is mounted
    -mount and dismount IS
    -check if same path has been restored to your old/new IS database

Go to Event logs,save&clear Apps and System,restart the server and then,move in Event Viewer,check Applications and System...there,somewhere,over your server,has to be the answer to your issue.

How do you manage the difference between the snapshot timestamp and today's emails present in ost,on local Outlook desktops !?

Take local on the server first,try Outlook Web Access from local server browser
    then move to one of your client desktops...

Good luck...

PS
    Exchange is not using POP3 with Microsoft Outlook anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 doogleman

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. After alot of investigation myself and reading the other stuff this issue could be caused by, I've decided to abandon Server 2003 for emails altogether and simply use the web-hosting provided pop accounts and set them up in outlook!

Too damn complicated and time consuming to be fiddlin with a brutally bad Server Management Program (SBS).

Thank you though for the advice, it was tried but unfortunately with no success. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

sorry for your failure...but you are going from bad to worse !!
    When worked,at least,on the SBS you had a central backed storage for company business emails... By setting to POP3,is going to be an "CV writing event generating ID#2011"....

Get back to study and restore connection to Outlook and Exchange for your users !

If you local in Dublin,i can assist you free of charge,boardie's discount ,but coffee is on your side ! :)

Good luck...

PS:
    I'm dealing daily with SBS and i think is one of the strong OSes around when you treat them with care & love ! :)

Advertisement