Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bedding for kennel for boxer

• 19-09-2011 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

i presume straw is okay, reason i ask is cos someone mentioned to me that it mighnt suit boxers as they are so fine haired, if thats the case what are the options..
    hes not out too often at night, tops 2/3 times a month..probably less now that winter is coming, i wont be away as often.. blankets or that kind of thing arent a runner..tried it ..he made bits out of them

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Boxers really don't like the cold so outdoors isn't the best for them, but see from your post it's not during winter.

Did you try Vet bed? Pretty tough stuff, fleece and nice and warm, I know someone that made a box for a bed and stapled it onto the sides to keep the dog from dragging it outside. Its washable too and lasts for ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

hes only out during the day, some days and at that only for a few hours at a time, he wont be out at night at all,
    re the vet bed, if its stapled to the box how do you get it out to clean it, i have loads of spare carpet that i could do similar with but if its stuck to the box i cant clean it, if its not stuck to the box itl end up outside in the rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They use a flat headed screw driver and pick out the staples.
    Its only for the day time like you, so only needs a clean about once a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My dog pulls out his bedding too. What I started doing was getting one of those hard plastic beds putting a towel and blanket in that and putting the whole lot inside a pillowcase. He can't pull the bedding out and even if he pulled the whole bed he wouldn't get it out the door of the kennel.

Obviously a pillowcase would be too small but you could make up something similar with some sheets. But if he's a shredder he would probably still rip it up. My guy just likes to pull his bedding out to the garden in protest at being put outside so this worked for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hay might be more suitable than straw, it can be warmer and less pokey.
    Vet bed would be great if the dog doesn't shred it.

If the kennel is a good size you could insulate the inside with kingspan/quinn foam boards and then nail on marine/outdoor plywood over it so the dog can't pick at the insulation so even if he manages to take the bedding out the kennel itself will be warmer.

Provide Kongs and other safer tough toys while you are out so he doesn't get as bored and start to wreck his bedding.

• Advertisement

yep he has kongs and that kind of thing as well, hes a not quite 2 year old boxer, doesnt like being penned in, so hes bored and gets destructive fair enough,ive left him with a "roasted postmans leg" :) some kind of big bone..so i hope thatl help him
    the kennell is inside a shed, hole in the wall with the kennel built inside, theres insulation under the floor, and on 3 sides all covered with plywood, i need to get a bit more insulation to cover the top, and i need to sort a flap to keep the breeze out.. and then something to help him generate heat.. i thought straw, to be honest hay never occurred to me, but its dead handy as my brother in law has hundreds of bales just done..
    so maybe we'll try hay and see what happens...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have you tried stuffing the kongs and freezing them or different fillings sometimes variety can help but some dogs just throw a strop if left even for an hour.
    We got the think it's petmate dog flap from zooplus they're not that cheap but the basic plastic ones work grand they have a furry thing around the sides and the magnet closes nicely to keep the draughts out, sometimes one dogs jumps out of it while the other one jumps in it's like a circus act. Because we have two going in and out we use the clear door so they can see in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

mmmm no bedding is boxer proof :)Ive had 3 boxers :)they loooove to rip duvets everywhere :),My 8 month old boxer tore up their bean bag last week,ye should have seen my kitchen...the week before that was a duvet :)he does it when I go to the school to collect the kids and dont bring him :)

boxerly wrote: »
    mmmm no bedding is boxer proof :)Ive had 3 boxers :)they loooove to rip duvets everywhere :),My 8 month old boxer tore up their bean bag last week,ye should have seen my kitchen...the week before that was a duvet :)he does it when I go to the school to collect the kids and dont bring him :)

i know, our guy had a foam matress with a leather cover for the best part of a year( prob plastic really ) and loved it, never so much as scratched it, the missus went to her brothers house and left him inside in the crate for half hour as it was rotten outside, and he made ****e out of it.. so now he has nothing !! will leave him that way for another week or so and maybe hel be nicer to the next one..
    so i dont want to go spending and see it in bits in the run in a few days,ive left old sheets, cushions etc in there and theyve all ended up in ribbons, hes pulled a plastic dog bed thru a hole half its size, so i think we'll try hay and see what happens..
    on the plus side i left him a big bone yesterday and hes delighted with that..although i had to unbury it twice..!!

Advertisement