Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorizo

Options
  • 19-09-2011 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I made jambalaya yesterday, and for the 5th time in a row, it's nearly been brought to its knees by dodgy chorizo. The stuff I get appears to be already cooked, so even a couple minutes on the pan it becomes a blackened mess. I've tried different kinds, including kabanos and kielbasa, but they all go the same way. Now, of course, I could just heat the things through, but the recipe I use makes great mention of using the chorizo-infused oil for cooking the meal, and I don't think I'd get the same effect. Also, I don't know they're pre-cooked until the smoke alarm goes off :)

So for future reference, 1) how do i know if the chorizo is 'ready to eat' and will end up ruining my meal and day? 2) is there anywhere in Cork that sells uncooked chorizo? 3) any particular brands to look out for?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Iago in the English Market sells raw chorizo. It's much fatter and softer than the usual stuff you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭netnerd

Cured chorizo (ready to eat) will usually come in a ring, or be long and hard.

Fresh chorizo will look more like sausages. They will be soft, shorter and fatter generally.

Cured chorizo has a wonderful flavour when heated through with your ingredients, so I would happily add that later in the recipe.

If you do get hold of fresh chorizo, make sure you get the best available, as the cheaper ones will be full of fat, and your dish will end up as a greasy orange mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

http://www.gubbeen.com/ excellent cured meats

i hope im allowed post a link here, if not sorry and remove.

Advertisement