Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars you've been sorely tempted to buy?

• 19-09-2011 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I've had a hankering for a Fiat Coupe for the last couple of months. I can tax it, insure it etc, even afford to run it, but every ad I've see says 'Have spent €xxxx in the last x years on this car'. I've just realised that this means 'Stay the f*ck away from this car, it's gonna cost you!' So I'm not going for a Coupe.

Have you ever been sorely tempted by a car that you just knew would be trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Subaru Impreza Sti, knew it was going to be trouble and by jesus was I right, 2 engines later and I don't know how much money it finally broke my spirit, Do I regret it, no. Got to try everything once.

Back in early 2005 I test drove a 1990 525i in light metallic blue with aftermarket 17s on her, it looked :cool: :cool: :cool: and drove minty. At the time I was working in Dublin and travelling Cork to Dublin quite a bit, spending about €300/month on petrol averaging close to 40mpg in a 1.4 so I reckoned with the tax and extra fuel the 525i might have been a drain on resources.

Also at 23 after getting my first job after a few months I was mad after a Legacy saloon in Gold, was tempted to hit the bank for a €15,000 loan but didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Hyundai XG30... I was living in the UK and waiting for depreciation to hit them hard.. but there were so few that the mini-cabbers were keeping the prices up. In my misguided mind it was a cut price Bentley... :o

hyundai-xg30-old-nb27956.jpg
    ..bought a Primera GT instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I've sorely tempted to buy a 728i for a long time now... It'll come soon, and I'm sure the regrets and sale will follow suit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭alanmc

I very nearly bought a 850Ci a few years back in Spain. Finally my head won and I didn't buy it. Sometimes I regret not buying it. Other times I think about how bankrupt I'd be if I did buy it.

It's my most favouritist car though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Came very close on the following, 1995 E34 518i, 2002 E39 520i, 2001 E38 728i, 2008 Citroen C5 2.0 Exclusive, 2008 Renault Laguna still find myself checking prices on them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Was actively looking for a Fiat Coupe earlier in the year but couldn't find one in decent condition

Two that I went to see both claimed full service history in the ad but there was nothing to back this up in person
    A dealer even said to me "sure why would there be a service history once it is out of warranty, no one is going to bring it to a dealer for service then" I was a bit flabbergasted by this as a service hsitory is very important especially when buying a car like the Fiat Coupe

That particular car had been shunted at the back which was blatantly obvious even to my untrained eye (the boot not closing well was a bit of a giveaway plus you could see the dent inside the boot) but said dealer denied it had been hit

The other car was in great nick on the outside but the inside was a bit of a kip, plus the strut brace under the bonnet had been replaced which was also denied by the seller, the biggest flaw with this car was that it didn't start, the seller caimed that it hadn't been moved in a while and the cold weather caused it not to start, the fact that there was still heat in the engine from when he had it warming up earlier said otherwise

I still want one but it will have to wait for a coupel of years until I have money for a proper one and can find one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I was very tempted by an e38 740 when I was looking to change my 320d. I went for a 525 in the end though, and was very happy with that. I like the GT that I got, but overall I wish I wasn't so fickle and had held on to it.

When I changed last, I was sort of thinking of an e46 M3, but I knew that my budget was too low for a well looked after one, and the running costs would just not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

si_guru wrote: »
    Hyundai XG30... I was living in the UK and waiting for depreciation to hit them hard.. but there were so few that the mini-cabbers were keeping the prices up. In my misguided mind it was a cut price Bentley... :o

hyundai-xg30-old-nb27956.jpg
    ..bought a Primera GT instead.
    Im sorry but that yoke is rank rotten:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

If I made a list of all the cars I really wanted to buy it would essentially be about 60% of all cars ever made.
    I just like to try different cars, the differences, even minor ones between cars fascinate me.

The most recent one was a BMW 740i which was available to me at a really great price, and I would no doubt have bought it 3 or 4 years ago but for now I have to let the head take over from the heart. I would love, but really do no need a massive petrol V8 engined car, as much as i'd really like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The RX8 caught my eye a few times. But after doing some research and reading about potential problems (oil and fuel consumption) with them I've scrapped that idea. I'd say a nice luxobarge will be the next choice, something german but not a BM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

MX-5. I always promised myself one before I settled down and had kids. I had resigned myself to accusations of being a hairdresser andI was nearly set to pull the trigger on one and a VTEC CR-X (old shape) fell into my lap and I couldn't resist.

Now I have the kids and an MPV, but I still have the CR-X (and she's due back on the road soon!) I do regret it, but every time I see the CR-X I know I bought the right car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hal1 wrote: »
    The RX8 caught my eye a few times. But after doing some research and reading about potential problems (oil and fuel consumption) with them I've scrapped that idea. I'd say a nice luxobarge will be the next choice, something german but not a BM.

Oh yeah, forgot about the RX8, I was looking at them too! I could definitely have gotten a nice one in budget, but decided against it in the end. I can deal with fuel consumption (within reason), but only if the budget can be reduced to make up for it.

If it wasn't for the smelly universal social charge ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

A twin turbo Supra...back when the first Fast and the Furious movie was just released. Silver with the full Veilside kit. Took it for a 24hr test drive and tried my best to convince my fiancée that it'd be the perfect choice for a couple that were currently saving up for a wedding and a deposit for a home. We got a 2lt VW Golf GTi 16v instead :o;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've sorely tempted to buy a 728i for a long time now... It'll come soon, and I'm sure the regrets and sale will follow suit :)

There will only be one regret when you buy a 728i :p

As for the FIAT Coupe - I would buy one, but only from an enthusiast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

There is a FIAT Coupe in the field up the road. The owner restored it (I sent him some new lamps for £200 from the UK), then parked it up. I'd say it will rot where it stands..?

..next to a 130 Coupe - quietly rotting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Bought a 745d sorely tempted by a 760i but work would only pay for diesel! Not with them anymore or indeed in the same country as my car! When I return I may sell it and by the petrol V12 instead - they're going dirt cheap now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Always wanted a vw corrado but there are mostly just tarted up **** boxes for sale. Original ones are too expensive for me to justify it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Always wanted a vw corrado but there are mostly just tarted up **** boxes for sale. Original ones are too expensive for me to justify it :-(

I love those cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Confab wrote: »
    I love those cars.

Me too. There is a well cared for V60 up by my ma's. I always slow down to drool as I go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

I was very close to buying one of these last year:

media?id=1765963399

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Pretty rare example here,but it's pricey...and an auto:(

A mate of mine bought a VR6 Storm back in the late 90's...beautiful car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Funny, i'm almost the opposite now, i'm afraid to to change to anything else.
    Show me any other car that has a resource like this www.e38.org, and thats the car i'll buy.

I really want a V12 but they scare me. :P

The v12 is a fine block but servicing is obscene - changing 12 spark plugs the back ones are very difficult to get at. Not to mention the amount of oil it needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

If you do buy a 728 your only regret will be that you didn't go for a 740.;)

heate wrote: »
    The v12 is a fine block but servicing is obscene - changing 12 spark plugs the back ones are very difficult to get at. Not to mention the amount of oil it needs.

By their very nature they are more reliable, however as you say servicing costs stack up, you need two of everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

2003+ UK STI is next on my list. Moving away from hondas as there just isnt enough poke in them plus there a dime a dozen.
    I'd imagine the older subarus only have horror stories as people forget to remap for irish fuel or drive it hard from cold.
    Bring on the flat four!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I hold my head in shame ......Always ,always wanted an MG Montego Turbo.

mont20i.gif

I know, I know, its just like a sickness of some sort. really cant explain it. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Saab Ed wrote: »

mont20i.gif

*shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Was looking at older XKRs and XK8 a few years ago - they were cheap enough to buy, but after doing some research into running and repair costs I knocked that idea on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    If you do buy a 728 your only regret will be that you didn't go for a 740.;)

Did you miss my post? ;)

No doubt I would prefer to have a 740, but never regret buying one to start with. I have cheaper tax, cheaper insurance (those two alone save me €600 a year), better MPG and lower servicing costs. Sometimes I wonder is it actually worth it for 1.5 seconds faster to 60.

I can afford to run a V8 no problems, just seems a but foolish to change within the same model of car though, especially now as they're getting old and I know what I have. So regret is not the word i'd use, pick the engine that best suits your needs.

I'm older now, no kids, not commitments and more money so its V12 time. :D Saw a 2004 CL600 outside my work the other day, I know that thing would just empty me wallet but its on my top 3 list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭alanmc

This thread is dangerous!!!

<browses over to donedeal and carzone>

No doubt I would prefer to have a 740, but never regret buying one to start with. I have cheaper tax, cheaper insurance (those two alone save me €600 a year), better MPG and lower servicing costs. Sometimes I wonder is it actually worth it for 1.5 seconds faster to 60.

I can afford to run a V8 no problems, just seems a but foolish to change within the same model of car though, especially now as they're getting old and I know what I have. So regret is not the word i'd use, pick the engine that best suits your needs.

G'way outta that - it was yourself and Unkel convinced me to go for the 735 over a 728. I only drove the one 728 and I felt it was underpowered - the 523 I had previously felt quicker. Have you driven a 735 or 740? Not being smart now just wondering? There is quite the difference IMO.
    I'm older now, no kids, not commitments and more money so its V12 time. :D Saw a 2004 CL600 outside my work the other day, I know that thing would just empty me wallet but its on my top 3 list!

My next will more than likely be an 840! :)

• Advertisement

It ain't the 0-60 you would be looking at on 740i vs 728i - its all in the torque and delivery of that power the 740i pulls like a train. i have yet to own a petrol 7 but i have driven the 740i and 745i and the 728i and they are in my opinion worlds apart.
    I enjoy the pulling power of my diesel and the effortless passing ability but in all honesty the 750i v8 or 760i would have been a better bet! At that level petrol is always king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭fletch

Always wanted a Clio 197 and have come very close to buying but for some reason I can't make the leap (poor mpg and poor torque for daily driving being major factors)
    25sagc5.jpg
    xbahi1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Funny, i'm almost the opposite now, i'm afraid to to change to anything else.
    Show me any other car that has a resource like this www.e38.org, and thats the car i'll buy.

I really want a V12 but they scare me. :P
    V12s are just 2 6s side by side!

e38.org (I use it for shared problems/parts with other BMWs I have) is good, but lots of similar German car sites:

www.e31.net
    www.bmwe34.net
    www.meeknet.co.uk/E32
    www.meeknet.co.uk/E31

www.audiworld.com (S4, S8 etc).
    www.rs246.com (S4, S6 etc UK centric).
    heate wrote: »
    Just uprate the ignition system to 40kv and swap in Iridium plugs then you wont care for like 50k miles (which most people would take an age to do in a V12 in todays climate). I have both the V8 and V12 BMWs from the same era btw, [self] servicing the V12 is not obscene.

Oil it needs...? 8 litres, exactly the same as the 530i and most BMW engines and a lot less than the diesels.
    http://www.dtbmw.com/tips/Engine_Oil_Chart2.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

always liked the alfa 156s, took 2 for test drive and both had loose bits or something not working- still like them though just alfa horror stories stopped me. Nearly bought 2 litre audi a4 (petrol) 2 years ago but let the head rule the heart when added up the costs. I dont know public opinion on them but i always liked the porsche boxter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Heart has been after a Saab 9-3 Viggen for quite a while, head and bank balance are screaming at me to cop on to myself

6a00e54ed05fc28833011570f94f15970b-400wi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

when i was buying my first car i almost bought a 1.4 focus.....dodged that bullet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Was going to buy a Td5 discovery for my first car but the reliability concerns scared me off.

Id still love a 750iL but the insurance wont let me at the moment, im sure it will end up costing me a fortune to keep going but it will be worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Every time I was buying a new (to me) car, I always looked up prices on E46 M3s. Trawled through loads of them on carzone just for the craic. I'd have to have a fair few quid in the bank before I'd go near one. Even at that I couldn't justify €1566 a year tax.

Was going to buy a Td5 discovery for my first car but the reliability concerns scared me off.

Id still love a 750iL but the insurance wont let me at the moment, im sure it will end up costing me a fortune to keep going but it will be worth it

Badge snob! :eek::p:D

Even at that I couldn't justify €1566 a year tax.

Must. Resist. Using. Rolleyes! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

When buying my first car I was going to go for a classic VW Beetle, got completely distracted by the idea of having a Triumph Spitfire as a daily driver and eventually "saw sense" and went for a Civic because I needed something reliable as I'd be doing a lot of mileage for work (20k+ a year).

Now that I've got kids and the company I was doing the mileage let me go a few years back, I have to admit, part of me regrets not going for the Spitfire. Sure, I'd have spent a lot of time waiting on breakdown services etc. but it would have been the company's time more often than not!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    G'way outta that - it was yourself and Unkel convinced me to go for the 735 over a 728. I only drove the one 728 and I felt it was underpowered - the 523 I had previously felt quicker. Have you driven a 735 or 740? Not being smart now just wondering? There is quite the difference IMO.

My next will more than likely be an 840! :)

Yup, I drove a non-sport pre-facelift 740i and wasn't overly impressed compared to my sport 728i. In non-sport mode in mine, there's no contest, the 740i is quicker and pulls hard, but when in sport mode the 728i is almost as responsive, but not as fast admittedly. The 728i lacks when fully loaded, the only downside IMO. I'd say if you had 10 sacks of concrete in the 740 it would still feel the same.

Yup, I drove a non-sport pre-facelift 740i and wasn't overly impressed compared to my sport 728i. In non-sport mode in mine, there's no contest, the 740i is quicker and pulls hard, but when in sport mode the 728i is almost as responsive, but not as fast admittedly. The 728i lacks when fully loaded, the only downside IMO. I'd say if you had 10 sacks of concrete in the 740 it would still feel the same.

Being an M-Sport or not won't make any difference to the power though will it? An E38 728 is 193bhp while an E38 740 (4.4) is 286bhp - that's almost 100bhp or 50% more power. That has to make a considerable difference!

(Not trying to rouse a pissing contest by the way just conversation)

EDIT: Just re-read your post. The 728 I drove was a pre-facelift also, maybe they were both worn out bags of sh1te!

Absolutely. Definitely a large power difference, but the differentials and torque converters are different on the sport models, the 740i sport being the fastest of the lot.

No doubt, that's the pick of the bunch, only reason i'd want the V12 is for all the toys. The iL sport packages are only cosmetic, the i sports have the greater acceleration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Robin Hood 2B kit car. Back when I had a garage and time. Now I've neither.:o
    Offsideup.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement