Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars you've been sorely tempted to buy?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Diesel is fuel of the devil lad! :D

I know..:D

This is only over the road and could be purchased much cheaper. Its some motor to drive...

http://www.etarrant.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201129203521634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Certainly not a puny haha

Each of my cars has been a increment in power over the last - rover 400 to an MG ZR to a BMW 318i to the RX8 to the 6MPS.

Future - E46 M3/E39 M5 :D

Sorry again!

Bar the RX7/8 when people mention Mazda I have a bad habit of tuning out. I know the 3 and 6 MPs are fine cars but my mind blanks them out for some reason. Same with the Focus RS - I just can't help thinking 'it's just a Focus'. I know I'm wrong but for me a fast car has to look like a fast car not be a performance model of a slow car.

No disrespect to your own car, probably beat the sh1t outta mine, but I like a car with presence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ok, you're gonna cry!

One of those Ford based kit car things.
    2 Volvo 480 Turbos
    BMW E24 635
    BMW E31 AC Schnitzer
    BMW E38 750
    68 Ford Galaxie
    69 Mustang 302

The only vehicle that's running at the moment is a clapped out Transit. :(

I think we, as car enthusiasts, need to assemble a mob and beat him until he sees sense. And gives me the kit car. I'm sure there'll be takers for the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I just can't help thinking 'it's just a Focus'. I know I'm wrong but for me a fast car has to look like a fast car not be a performance model of a slow car.

What about the M5? Or M3?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Thats not really a thing though, unless you mean an Alpina B12 Coupe.

Might be wrong - it's certainly an 850 though and has a Schnitzer badge - probably a fake add on. Sweet motor either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Confab wrote: »

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭phoenix_nights2

66442i1_23.jpeg?set_id=2C4000

Test drove a 480, agreed a price but backed out later that evening. I am over it now. ( but i still keep a watch out for them :) )

Confab wrote: »

They look like they're gonna go somewhere while the Mazda's don't. Hence the term 'wolf in sheeps clothing'!

Sorry again!

Bar the RX7/8 when people mention Mazda I have a bad habit of tuning out. I know the 3 and 6 MPs are fine cars but my mind blanks them out for some reason. Same with the Focus RS - I just can't help thinking 'it's just a Focus'. I know I'm wrong but for me a fast car has to look like a fast car not be a performance model of a slow car.

No disrespect to your own car, probably beat the sh1t outta mine, but I like a car with presence!

To be honest, I couldn't care less who's car could beat the **** out of whos. I've always had a soft spot for Mazdas and the 6MPS suited what I was looking for.

The 6MPS does have presence ;) The 3 not so much because it's even more of a sleeper. Still a great car though!

They look like they're gonna go somewhere while the Mazda's don't. Hence the term 'wolf in sheeps clothing'!

are_you_right_there_father_ted.jpg

• Advertisement

To be honest, I couldn't care less who's car could beat the **** out of whos. I've always had a soft spot for Mazdas and the 6MPS suited what I was looking for.

The 6MPS does have presence ;) The 3 not so much because it's even more of a sleeper. Still a great car though!

My Quattro had that look about it. It also came in 2L 5 pot form which wasn't that exciting and it looked like a 'nice' car but didn't look all that fast but by god could it go! :eek:

Had a 323 M-Tech coupe prior to that and it would p1ss all over it.

I like this thread! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Rickwellwood

How about this - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3101826.htm

Alfa 166 not the 3.0 V6 Lusso version which would definitely be the one to get but a more sensible 2.0 T Spark Lusso version - more suitable for over here, tax, petrol consumption and maybe reliability wise.

If i had the money, which I dont, and needed a replacement for my auld Mazda 626, this would be the one

Another couple of cars I had were two MkIII Toyota Supras, the 'square' models. One was a 3L straight and the other a 3L Turbo. drove the **** out of both and they could doughnut forever but never as good as the Trans Am! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

astonaidan wrote: »
    Really tempted to buy a Subaru Impreza STI for years but they ruined it

Same. I loved the 04 - 05 model:

2005-WRX-STI.jpg

I took one of these for a test drive too around the same time, and was close to buying it:

138839d1225852467-aros-17-de-mitsubishi-evo-7-evo7_02__177.jpg

I don't regret not buying either one, but still look enviously at them in the street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Always wanted a vw corrado but there are mostly just tarted up **** boxes for sale. Original ones are too expensive for me to justify it :-(

I too fancied a corrado storm. As rare now as rocking horse sh1t!:)

Right now I'm seeing so many nice v6, v8 petrols for sale for nothing but then road tax is a pain and will you ever sell it.

I'd consider a 645 - nice car.
    I also like the Cayenne as well 4.5 non turbo.
    Whoever said 760li gorgeous motor, go for it!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm 25 now and in a 2.3T

That's 10.4BHP/year

That's better than most of us will ever get :D

Best I ever did is about 8...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

I always fancied a Prelude 2.2, came very close to buying one 4 or 5 years back but tax put me off it. I have yet to exceed a 2.0L engine in this country:(

5670271747_cf25195133.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Always wanted a vw corrado but there are mostly just tarted up **** boxes for sale. Original ones are too expensive for me to justify it :-(

I too fancied a corrado storm. As rare now as rocking horse sh1t!:)

Right now I'm seeing so many nice v6, v8 petrols for sale for nothing but then road tax is a pain and will you ever sell it.

I'd consider a 645 - nice car.
    I also like the Cayenne as well 4.5 non turbo.
    Whoever said 760li gorgeous motor, go for it!:)

I'm going 760i.
    it's just tough trying to find a short wheelbase one! I don't need the extra space - I just want the power without the headache an E60 M5 would cause me!
    It has to be BMW has to have 400+ bhp and auto! Very little choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

850i
    Pretty much decided on one, found out the wifey was pregnant and put it on hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mondeo wrote: »
    I have yet to exceed a 2.0L engine in this country:(

You should try it.

Eco Nuts think your worse than hitler and The tax brigade think your mentally unstable , the posters here are the only ones who understand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

unkel wrote: »
    That's 10.4BHP/year

That's better than most of us will ever get :D

Best I ever did is about 8...

bhp/age lol! :D

my last 3 cars 11.3, 13.2 and now 17!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

bhp/age lol! :D

my last 3 cars 11.3, 13.2 and now 17!

I'm on 1.7... and I'm 32!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Came very close to buying a 350z and bought the 182 instead..

Thinking of swapping for one now :o
    Not that either would cause trouble but I thought the tax would be an issue on the 350z, turns it wouldn't have been!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

850i
    Pretty much decided on one, found out the wifey was pregnant and put it on hold.

You made the right choice, you can have a baby at any stage. Good man. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

You made the right choice, you can have a baby at any stage. Good man. ;)

Might need to trade the wife in if you leave it too long though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I know..:D

This is only over the road and could be purchased much cheaper. Its some motor to drive...

http://www.etarrant.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201129203521634

Whats the tax brigade? wont pay or insists upon the necessity? I just couldnt stomach handing over big money for motor tax? nice looking car though
    SV wrote: »
    Came very close to buying a 350z and bought the 182 instead..

Thinking of swapping for one now :o
    Not that either would cause trouble but I thought the tax would be an issue on the 350z, turns it wouldn't have been!

It isn't? it falls into the highest category?? 2100 now or pre 08 1566?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Merch wrote: »
    Whats the tax brigade?

the people using low tax as a key criteria in buying a car

or in other words...

I just couldnt stomach handing over big money for motor tax?

you

Riskymove wrote: »
    the people using low tax as a key criteria in buying a car

or in other words...

you

Haha :D I could reach a certain point paying tax, but not 2 grand, I'd need to come into money to not care. I wouldnt buy soley on the basis of tax, there are loads of other factors even excluding desirability, anyway I think certain low tax vehicles are a false economy unless utilised in a certain way anyway.
    Now where was I? ahh back to my pipe dreams of a Mitsubishi Eclipse or not caring about driving a GS300 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Haha :D I could reach a certain point paying tax, but not 2 grand, I'd need to come into money to not care. I wouldnt buy soley on the basis of tax, there are loads of other factors even excluding desirability, anyway I think certain low tax vehicles are a false economy unless utilised in a certain way anyway.
    Now where was I? ahh back to my pipe dreams of a Mitsubishi Eclipse or not caring about driving a GS300 :)

:D i was being flippant really

the issue arises where people are spending thousands extra to buy an 08 or later version of a car in order to save a couple of hundred euro a year in tax

it makes little sense

Riskymove wrote: »
    :D i was being flippant really

the issue arises where people are spending thousands extra to buy an 08 or later version of a car in order to save a couple of hundred euro a year in tax

it makes little sense

ok, didn't realise they had that name as a group :) i was wondering was it some group of people that advocated paying high motor tax to keep gas guzzlers off the road, while I consider myself fairly green, I guess the counter argument to that policy, is that the manufacture of a whole new car because it is more fuel efficient, itself consumes fuel in a way a performance car is unlikely to consume in the remainder of its lifetime. (probably)
    now back to me driving that FTO (like the shape, just dont see as many on the roads) ahhhhhh thats better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Whats the tax brigade? wont pay or insists upon the necessity? I just couldnt stomach handing over big money for motor tax? nice looking car though

It isn't? it falls into the highest category?? 2100 now or pre 08 1566?

Nah it wouldn't have been, rearranged the finances and ended up with about 1500 extra a month to play with so I woulda been grand!
    Didn't think of that then though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

I too came close to pulling the trigger on a Corrado VR6. Beautiful car...there's a guy in Slane with an awesome collection of modern classics, he had one for sale a few years go. I came close but couldn't live with the tax. Plus the one he had had a dodgy gear lever which I heard was common on those cars.

Then I moved to the US and almost bought a Porsche 944 Turbo...then I actually did buy one:

944_front_1.jpg

And it's every bit as good as it looks. In fact it's almost as good as it looked when you were 8 :)

But my need for a Corrado VR6 hasn't gone away. And now to make matters worse I want an Alfa Romeo GTV V6 too, but they don't have Alfas over here. How batsh!t crazy would I be if I imported one?

heate wrote: »
    I'm going 760i.
    it's just tough trying to find a short wheelbase one! I don't need the extra space - I just want the power without the headache an E60 M5 would cause me!
    It has to be BMW has to have 400+ bhp and auto! Very little choice.

Awesome choice - seen anyones you fancy?

Always fancied a 944 turbo - yours looks class mate.

Importing - you know the answer but if you must have one...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Land Rover Defender. I know all their shortcomings but the urge remains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If I'd a spare 16k laying about....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2534966

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

furtzy wrote: »
    Land Rover Defender. I know all their shortcomings but the urge remains.

Own one for a year and find more! ;)

I love Land Rovers.. but you need to be an enthusiast to put up with one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Funny bastards LOL. The gravity trick is a myth, thats all I'll say.
    Worked out well that I didn't get the 850 TBH, meant I was able to go racing again a year later :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

only two cars still on my list to own are an rx7 and m3.

Nforce wrote: »
    If I'd a spare 16k laying about....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2534966

:D

Very nice. Missing tv's in the rear but still looks ace for the cash - wonder what embassy owned it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

copeyhagen wrote: »
    only two cars still on my list to own are an rx7 and m3.

One of mates in England is a bit car fickle to say the least.... anyway the two he owned the shortest periso and hated (like and ol' girlfriend) the most - RX7 and M3.

...you'd have to ask him why. I know the RX7 was desperate on petrol.

Anyway what's the deal with BMWs.... It's nearly as bad as the B(MW)angernomincs thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

firefly08 wrote: »
    And it's every bit as good as it looks. In fact it's almost as good as it looked when you were 8 :)

That should be used as a tag line in car ads... :)

Sums up real love....

Advertisement