Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epidemic of Suicides in Waterford area

• 19-09-2011 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭

I was talking to somebody in the medical business recently,and i was shocked to hear the amount of suicides that is coming through the waterford area recently,young and old ,male and female,often by violent means not that whichever means makes any difference.Just saying these are tough times for people for many reasons.Anybody feeling down do talk to somebody who ever that may be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Good post decies.

The one thing that people forget is that they're not sailing a ship alone. Having problems paying bills? Getting phone calls and threatening letters? You're definitely not the only one. There's boat loads of people in this town that are probably depressed out of their head but are afraid to tell anyone about it. To think that suicide is their only option is absolutely horrendous.

It is easy to talk yourself (or think yourself) into a deeper hole than you're actually in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

Good post.

Its sad to think people believe that suicide is their only option.

There are people willing to listen, I just wish people would just try and talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Someone said to me years ago that it's a permanent solution to a short term problem. It always kind of stuck with me as very good. I'll stick up some links to some prevention websites in your OP when I get a chance decies if you don't mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im skeptical about that first post, is there any stats to prove this, if it is true it could be a factor of a number of things but would need to be
    addressed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I know of a few people in the last year who ended there life's it was never in the media probably to show respect to the family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Max Powers wrote: »
    Im skeptical about that first post, is there any stats to prove this, if it is true it could be a factor of a number of things but would need to be
    addressed

Am talking to somebody who deals with the consequence of suicide,in the last week or two it is frightening the amount of deaths that are because of this thats all i really have to say,cant give you any cold statistics on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

good post alot of people are under stress at the moment which is obviously leading to suicides. I know of 2 people that tried it lately and 1 that was successful. People getting letters of companies demanding money and threatning them with solicitors, and people are struggling big time to feed themselves.

only recently I got a letter off Vodafone saying I would be going to court and blacklisted for not paying about 8 months of a bill for Mobile Broadband. So I rang the solicitors number that was on the letter. I explained to them that I was not paying the bill and told them why. I also told them that I would be claiming 450 off them for waisting my time by going to court. Have not contacted me in a month. .

I can understand why people would be rightly pissed off with things. I recently walked about 17 miles in 1 go to because I was pissed off with phone calls I was getting off PTSB because they want 374 euro off me. They paid out the money without my consent. When I got back I rang them and said i will pay them 1 euro a week because thats all I can afford.

I never felt sorry for people that would commit suicide but I do now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

The amount of young people that do after LC results is a disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The amount of young people that do after LC results is a disgrace

That can be put down to the stupid amount of pressure put on those fcukin exams.
    "YOU HAVE TO GET THE POINTS OR YOULL NEVER HAVE A GOOD JOB!"
    Absolute horsesh!t. But unless things have changed dramatically in the 8/9 years this attitude is still prevalent instead of letting them know theres a multitude of ways to go on a career path(if you even have one decided which is another piece of pressure put on students) that dont involve memorizing pointless subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

3 of my mates done it within the last year :'(

• Advertisement

Not to get too personal Seany...but do you know any of the reasons behind them? i.e. were they personal things or problems that a lot of people have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Not to get too personal Seany...but do you know any of the reasons behind them? i.e. were they personal things or problems that a lot of people have?
    Ah they where all personal reasons.

Very sad:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Max Powers wrote: »
    addressed

There are no accurate statistics on suicide in Ireland, why? because in the case of suicide there is always a post mortem, then an inquest, the result of the inquest is nearly always death by misadventure, why do they do this? for the sake of the families so they can claim life insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭parrai

looky loo wrote: »
    There are no accurate statistics on suicide in Ireland, why? because in the case of suicide there is always a post mortem, then an inquest, the result of the inquest is nearly always death by misadventure, why do they do this? for the sake of the families so they can claim life insurance.

I would imagine to protect the families involved, but you're correct there should be more attention drawn to it statistically...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I suppose that it don't help either when Social Workers don't work on weekends or after 5:30. Croke Park anyone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Unfortunately suicide happens in epidemics. If one person does it people get it into their heads to do it.

The Waterford Samaritans number is (051) 872114
    Yes Boss wrote: »
    I suppose that it don't help either when Social Workers don't work on weekends or after 5:30. Croke Park anyone :mad:

I think its fairly sick that someone would hijack a serious thread like this just to show the chip on their shoulder with the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Mega Chin wrote: »
    "YOU HAVE TO GET THE POINTS OR YOULL NEVER HAVE A GOOD JOB!" Absolute horsesh!t.
    Do these kids not realise then can always go to college in a few years as a mature student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It's a sad upward thrend,
    They say it takes someone incredibly brave or incredibly selfish to end their own lives.
    I can't imagine what is running through their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭jluv

I don't think it is someting that any of us can ever understand (the mindset of the person at that perticular moment) but it must be one of the most difficult deaths to recover from for the loved ones left behind. Some good posts here letting people know that they are not alone and should seek someone to speak to. Hope it helps someone who is struggling at the moment..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I think it's fair to say that most people don't know anything about suicide, but unfortunately it doesn't stop them making all sorts of ridiculous comments about it.

All that really needs to be said is that suicide is the most personal decision of them all. People should not be so quick to preach one thing or another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I don't know did anyone see that secret millionaire show on RTE tonight but it dealt allot with the suicide prevention place in Dublin that people could walk in and talk to someone free of charge. It takes like €1m a year to be raised to run it. Anyway, my point being is there any place like that in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ziedth wrote: »
    I don't know did anyone see that secret millionaire show on RTE tonight but it dealt allot with the suicide prevention place in Dublin that people could walk in and talk to someone free of charge. It takes like €1m a year to be raised to run it. Anyway, my point being is there any place like that in Waterford?

The Samaritans on Beau Street. Its near the fire station. You can walk in there.

They are also fairly innovative in using things like text messaging, and putting their phone number up near the bridge so people will call them rather than jump in the river; and they call out to WIT now and then to give out pens with their number.

Of course, they need our support to be able to support others, so feel free to drop into Beau St to volunteer or with a wad of cash :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭WonderWoman!

what if you're already a volunteer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

looky loo wrote: »
    There are no accurate statistics on suicide in Ireland, why? because in the case of suicide there is always a post mortem, then an inquest, the result of the inquest is nearly always death by misadventure, why do they do this?
    This has been done for many a year to avoid "bringing shame" to the family, from a time when suicide would be a sin, and I think if you committed suicide, you weren't allowed to be buried in the cemetery?

what if you're already a volunteer?

Don't understand your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

Thankfully Suicide hasn't darkened my immediate family or friends door and I hope it never does. It is an interesting topic that eventhough is sad and tragic it is good to talk about it and not left as an untalked about topic.

Did anyone see Vincent Browne last week on TV3? they had a guy on it called Kevin Hines. He was very interesting to listen to as a survivor and his perspective of what he was going through.
    http://www.kevinhinesstory.com/

- BFG

the_syco wrote: »
    This has been done for many a year to avoid "bringing shame" to the family, from a time when suicide would be a sin, and I think if you committed suicide, you weren't allowed to be buried in the cemetery?

thankfully this is no longer true, my brother died by suicide four years ago, at the time I was thinking this was still the case but our local priest was wonderful through it all. To any one considering suicide, ask for help, the fallout and destruction to the family left behind is unimaginable. You dont forget, you learn to live with it, but you are left with the question, why didnt he come to me.

Very sorry to hear that Looky Loo. The unanswered questions must be horrendous.

• Advertisement

Very sorry to hear that Looky Loo. The unanswered questions must be horrendous.

Thank you, If I see him again it will be touch and go whether I hug him or strangle him, probably the hug him though. :)

He had marraige problems, job problems etc, the perfect storm kind of day when it all got on top of him, at least thats what I can piece together, with suicide you end up like a detective trying to figure out last known movements and events, it would drive you doolally, if you let it.

I try to remember the good and not let that 'one day' define my wonderful brother.

Advertisement